VPC competitor?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://openosx.com/wintel/index.html

Hi,

I'm pissed off that my copy of VPC 4.0 will not work with my OSX only powerbook - this app seems like it it may be a cheaper option for emulation. It's not exactly complete (ie lacks USB support), but does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    No, but I can tell you it's a packaged version of the dirt-slow Bochs emulator by a company with a spotty history of not giving the (legally required) credit to the people who actually brought the open-source program to OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Hi, thanks for that info.

Does that mean that there is a completely free equivalent out there that would let me run my VPC disk on OSX?

Does this version add anything to the free one?

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Does this version add anything to the free one?

A fancy installer and a thick padding of OpenOSX's pockets. That's all.

See here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...rce/bochs.html

and here:

http://www.osxgnu.org/software/Xwin/Applications/Bochs/
  • Reply 4 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    There is another PC emulator, not very well known as VPC or RealPC, from Lismore Software Systems.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

There is another PC emulator, not very well known as VPC or RealPC, from Lismore Software Systems.

It doesn't run under X unfortunately
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Thanks for that heads up - I especially like the idea of having a family licence. However, it only runs on OS8-9, and not even in classic, which is the same thing that has got me unstuck with VPC.

David
  • Reply 7 of 22
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    openosx has apparently stolen IP from the fink project. Fvck 'em, and don't buy anything from them
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I definitely won't if I can get the same thing for free! Anyhow, how does it compare speed/ feature wise with VPC? (not that I'm paying the huge price to upgrade).

David
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I've downloaded Bochs, but I cant seem to get it to work - somehow I need to define a startup volume - how do I do this from my VPC disk image?

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

I've downloaded Bochs, but I cant seem to get it to work - somehow I need to define a startup volume - how do I do this from my VPC disk image?

Thanks,

David

IIRC, BOCHS is not compatible with VPC disk images.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

IIRC, BOCHS is not compatible with VPC disk images.

Ah

Well, is there any way to use the Win98 that came with my copy of VPC4 with Bochs then? Also, if anyone knows a link to an easier guide to installation than Bochs own site, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Any ideas at all?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Ok, your copy of Windows 98 is pretty worthless at this point. The best thing when buying VPC is to buy the base version, and then use your own copy of Windows or "buy" one. But that doesn't really help you now.

You'll have to obtain a new copy of Windows, and it has to be CD bootable.

As far as an easier way to install ANY unix software, use Fink. Just use the included Fink Commander application. Select "BOCHS" and click the blue plus sign. Viola. Of course, using it is probably harder...

To be honest, I'd just deal with the devil and buy VPC 6.0.

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

You'll have to obtain a new copy of Windows, and it has to be CD bootable.

Barto

Does that mean that if I borrow a win98 cd from a friend, I can use the licence code that came with my VPC copy to remain legal?

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 15 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Pirate VPC. It's made by M$ now and stealing from M$ isn't really stealing. I used Bochs once. It sucks. VPC is the only one. FWB RealPC is vaporware and dead.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Does that mean that if I borrow a win98 cd from a friend, I can use the licence code that came with my VPC copy to remain legal?

According to the license agreement, I think not. But, not everything that gets printed in a license agreement is actually legally binding.

What that means is that as long as you have that license, you should be legal. I've used a number of different disks at different times for a Win98 license. Sometimes a disk gets scratched or lost. Don't fret it.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Thanks everyone - I think I'm nearly there, and have borrowed a Win98 install CD. I've even got bochs to boot from the boot floppy image that came with VPC - it just wont use the CD. Does anyone know how I can either:

1) Get Bochs to recognise the internal optical drive as D\

2) Make an ISO 9660 image from the disk (Disk copy won't do this)

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 18 of 22
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    unfortunately i think the best alternative is to buy or build a cheap pc and stick windows on it. i am pretty sure you can share monitors and keyboards/mice if you get one of those usb/vga switchy thingys (assuming you dont have a cinema display or a powerbook - even then there is probably a way to make it work)
  • Reply 19 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    VPC 3 works in classic. If you can find it, you're set. I think I may have a legit (!) copy somewhere. I'll try to dig it up if you want. It's not being used by me, so if you use it, there aren't even any legal issues to worry about.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

VPC 3 works in classic. If you can find it, you're set. I think I may have a legit (!) copy somewhere. I'll try to dig it up if you want. It's not being used by me, so if you use it, there aren't even any legal issues to worry about.

Wow. I too have a boxed copy somewhere, with DOS so you can install any OS you'd like. I'll have to track it down....