I want a Mac, but now I'm a little frustrated!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey all,

I'm a windows user. I have just found somebody to buy my laptop, and I was set on getting a Mac. But now I read about how everyone thinks that iMacs are to expensive. Everyone is ranting about the speed and features, and now I am not so sure if getting a Mac anytime soon will be worth it. I had planned to get either the highend eMac or the highend iMac. I'm definitely not buying one at this time because everyone seems to think that Steve is going to release something new at Mac Expo Paris. I'm just a little frustrated right now, and thinking maybe I should just keep the old Wintel box until it dies.

I guess I'll I'm looking for is a little reassurance that I'm not going to pay too much for too little and then regret it later.

Brett -- who gets education pricing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Two weeks of wait never hurts
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Two weeks of wait never hurts

yes, i've been waiting two weeks for months now.

seriously it's never a bad time to finally buy a mac. but i'd wait til after paris.

"we'll always have paris."
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    if you're worried, get one of the g4-based single processor towers. they are cheaper than a comparable-speed imac, and give you better expansion and upgrade possibilities down the road, without sacrificing speed. you'll have to get an external monitor, but if your needs are modest, CRT monitors are really cheap, now with the push for everyone to "go flat."
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Another option would be the second hand market.

I've bought my G4 iMac 700 with combo and 512 Megs of RAM 4 months ago for ? 950, and it was still under warranty!

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Dude the G5 just came out!!!! get one of those, they won't be updated for a while.

Don't you want braging rights?

To be able to say

"I HAVE THE FASTEST DESKTOP COMPUTER IN THE WORLD!!!!"

ahh man that will be the life!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    don't be confused by the people ranting about poor speed in thier macs ... these people are comparing thier very nice machine to what they have wet dreams about ... so of course they find something to complain about.

Of course there is room for improvement... there always will be ... it's called innovation !!!

There is nothing wrong with the current iMacs or G4 towers ... but if you want the machine to last for as long as possible, then buy the G5.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    The last two weeks I've converted two Windows people (actually, one Windows person and another Windows Family). Needless to say, if they're not happy with their computers (a G4 1.25, and an iBook), I'm the one going to get blamed. Well, they're happy as pigs in shite and they've never even owned a Mac before. Your mileage may vary, but I trust you won't be disappointed no matter which Mac you buy. The fact that your world will be opened to everything you can easily accomplish on a Mac will eventually be far more important to you than the numbers on the box.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brett257

Hey all,

I'm a windows user. I have just found somebody to buy my laptop, and I was set on getting a Mac. But now I read about how everyone thinks that iMacs are to expensive. Everyone is ranting about the speed and features, and now I am not so sure if getting a Mac anytime soon will be worth it. I had planned to get either the highend eMac or the highend iMac. I'm definitely not buying one at this time because everyone seems to think that Steve is going to release something new at Mac Expo Paris. I'm just a little frustrated right now, and thinking maybe I should just keep the old Wintel box until it dies.

I guess I'll I'm looking for is a little reassurance that I'm not going to pay too much for too little and then regret it later.

Brett -- who gets education pricing.

If you don't want to wait, the eMac is a good deal, and has a low price at $799-$1,299. Tip: If you're a PC convert, and have a good monitor, consider one of the PowerMac G4's. At blowout prices, and with the dual probably having like a 23-35% improvent over the 1Ghz eMacs, they're also great deals.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    If you decide to go with the eMac line instead of the iMac line, don't bother waiting for MacWorld Paris--the eMac line got its last revisioned release in May 2003, so they certainly aren't due soon.

Unless you are a "Mac enthusiast" (most switchers end up being so after their initial purchase, but probably not ON their initial purchase), I would really reccomend the eMac over the iMac in terms of value. Since I'm a student, an iMac is a bit more luxurious than I need or can afford. I bought my refurb 700MHz eMac in July, and couldn't be happier with it .

Then again, as a student, I'm more cost-conscious than most.

To hit home, if you're going to get an eMac, buy now. It will be worth it. If you're going to buy an iMac, wait until MacWorld Paris is over.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

Dude the G5 just came out!!!! get one of those, they won't be updated for a while.

Don't you want braging rights?

To be able to say

"I HAVE THE FASTEST DESKTOP COMPUTER IN THE WORLD!!!!"

ahh man that will be the life!

That'll be me soon! (Yes! Yes! YES!) I might get it today- iDunno.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    mac users are an odd bunch \