Why do you use an Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm curious as to why we choose to use a mac and not a PC.

Feel free to vote for more than one choice- just make sure you vote for only the things that you agree with.

And if there is an option you would like to have available that I didn't put up please feel free to ask for that option to be added.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    1st...why use a poll for this?

2nd...all of the above

3rd...no i won't do what you think i was gonna do
  • Reply 2 of 23
    All of the above aswell here.

But you left out "Disgust with Micro$oft"

• Reply 3 of 23
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    you miss the "Because of M$" option
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    So... which 2 voted because of price?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    those who picked "Price" really needs therapy
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Gotta chose "Ease of Use". I'd be lost without MacDraw.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, I chose all the above except for "price". Although, those other things in the list MORE than make up for it, so it's cool.

I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't be paying these kind of prices for your typical mass-market crap PC.

But the design, the OS, the hardware, the integration, style, ease-of-use, iApps, .mac, AirPort, iPod, etc. are, to me, worth something...and, on balance, I don't mind paying. It's a quality product. A high-end, well-designed thing.

It's my one concession to any sort of higher-end, "luxury" type of purchase. I drive a simple mid-range Saturn, buy household goods/toiletries at Wal-Mart, buy clothes at Target (or the clearance rack at Old Navy), use coupons, watch for sales, seek out rebates on certain purchases, etc.

But I proudly buy, own and use only Macs. And always will.

• Reply 8 of 23
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    All except Becasue i use one at work.. even though i do but thats not the reason why
  • Reply 9 of 23
    we all use macs because in some way, it makes us feel good to be using a computer that looks good, feels right and in a small way differentiates us from the drudgery of the masses and their boring windows...

i _like_ my mac

i _tire_ of my pc
  • Reply 10 of 23
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

There are a number of reasons why Macs can be cheaper overall than PCs.

1. Lower maintenance costs (for the majority who are not geeks).

2. Longer upgrade cycle.

3. Better resale value.

4. Lower OS upgrade price.

5. Better freeware/shareware.

6. Higher user efficiency (time is money).

7. iBook - Best value in its class.

8. 12" PowerBook - Best value in its class.

9. eMac - Best value AIO.

10. Power Mac G5 - Cheapest major brand 64-bit workstation.

11. xServe - Best value full-featured server on the market.

the key word there is CAN.

I chose all but price and work, because it's not like I'd stop using a mac if they were cheaper and I don't use one for work.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

buy clothes at Target

Right on! I pay $3.28 each for Polo-style cotton shirts at the local Super Target. Right off the clearance rack. Quality is the same as when the shirts were marked up 200%.

Everyone *indulges* themselves in some respect. With Mac OS X and iTunes, the Mac has returned to being a credible indulgance.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Woah- I come back from seeing S.W.A.T. and there are a ton of replys already!

Can I get a moderator to add the option

"Because of Microsoft"

Please...
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I won't do any vote unless the "Because of MS" is here
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Partly because of the design, they are just so well thought-out and logical, beautiful to look at machines. How they work with applications I use daily are a joy to use. Well, that and to support a major player in this industry's development.

Whereas, in the Windows world?

Parts crashing every second, every attempt to use this beast is thwarted by another mistake made by its maker. By its flawed design. As it struggles to anticipate my next move, I am filled with a tremendous fiery red HATE that burns hotter than the machine that is feuling it! I hate the world! I want it to die! HOW ANYONE CAN STAND THIS GARBAGE ONLY MAKES ME MADDER! WHY must they put up with this simply because everyone else does? That doesn't make any sense! THIS IS WHY YOU ARE COMPUTER ILLITERATE. This is what produces your fear of computers! I don't WANT my computer to pose me another challenge in trying to get it to work! I want it to work all the time so I can get back to better things like, y'know, USING THE GODDAMNED THING.

And they're ugly, too.

To put it all simpy, I say:

I enjoy using a Mac.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Honestly, I've been using Macs exclusively since I was fifteen; I'm thirty now and they're all I've ever known. I wish I could say my choice is informed, but instead it's habit.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Because I get to make cool little videos like this:

(it's 6.2 megs as a warning to those with dailup)

http://oregonstate.edu/~dowdyg/Movies/G5.mov

Okay, so it's at least cool in my mind because I made it.

Somebody has waaaaay to much time on their hands=====>G-Dog
  • Reply 17 of 23
    That's friggin awesome -- wow!! I won't even ask how long that baby took to render out completely.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    does 5 out of 9 count? oh well. At time of purchase the 12"pb was the closest match to my requirements. Only later did i come to appreciate the stability, reliability and wow factor.

Did i mention i'm a happy bunny.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    All the work was done by Apple for the rendering. I just took stock footage from a couple Apple Videos and mixed them up a bit in iMovie.

Footage is from the following:

Apple's "Zoom" video that was so briefly posted on Apple.com

Apple Power Mac G5 Video off Apple.com

Made using iMovie 3.0.3 on OS X.2.6 with a Dual 800 G4

Made on a Mac Baby!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I got my first taste of Macs b/c of my photo courses, but at the time I wasn't taking anything in my life seriously and so I did not grasp the Mac at all. A few years later after finding out what all play and no work accomplished, I decided to rededicate myself and started looking at computers for photo work. I spent a few years trying to rebuild my credit and researching PCs and Macs. I read the flames. As the years waned Macs just made more sense to me, especially after seeing so many friends being taken out of the computing world due to some MS crap, the blue screen of death, it seemed every week someone was reformatting their hard drive. Or someone's PC was in pieces for one thing or another. The reputation of the Mac reliability and their pervasiveness in the photo world is what first interested me, the beautiful design of the iMac 2 is what sold me.