Messaging software and MS licensing demands

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft has now put infrastructure in place that has killed MSN Messenger's compatibility with any 3rd party application like Proteus, Fire, etc. They're requiring licenses if software developers want to have MSN Messenger compatibility in their application.

This made me ditch Proteus--which I really loved--and download the latest version of MSN Messenger. I decided to run both the beta of iChat AV and MSN Messenger instead of my good old all-in-one client that now doesn't work with MSN. iChat and MSN Messenger are both PROCESSOR HOGS! It's ubelievable how much CPU these things suck up. MSN Messenger is particularly bad. Flash content on the web slowed to a crawl. Totally unacceptable!

So, I find myself bidding a fond adieu to my friends on MSN Messenger. I think I'll go back to Proteus for my AOL compatible chatting -- great interface, great features, great design, and easy on the CPU. Too bad the developer seems to be so flaky.

What are the rest of you doing now that Microsoft has laid the smack down?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I don't use MSN messenger, don't know anyone who does.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I'm still using Proteus and have not recieved any messages from Microsoft saying that I need to downgrade. I know Fire users have recieved such messages. And with Proteus's IM handling open source, a fix should be coming soon.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chealion

I'm still using Proteus and have not recieved any messages from Microsoft saying that I need to downgrade. I know Fire users have recieved such messages. And with Proteus's IM handling open source, a fix should be coming soon.

I use Proteus and get an automated message each time I log onto MSN. More info here: http://www.indigofield.com/forums/in...T&f=13&t=3115&.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I got a message saying I needed to install a "security update" to my installtion of MSN Messenger 5.

I'm running Fire, so *I* thought it was funny...

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

I use Proteus and get an automated message each time I log onto MSN. More info here: http://www.indigofield.com/forums/in...T&f=13&t=3115&.

I get the very same message in Proteus, but i just ignore it and continue about my business as usual.

Haven't had any problems with MSN and proteus
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

I get the very same message in Proteus, but i just ignore it and continue about my business as usual.

Haven't had any problems with MSN and proteus

Yeah that's what I do too but that could change next month:

Quote:

From the proteus forums thread I linked to

You can't stop the messages at the moment. They're being put out by MSN directly each time you log on, as MSN are shutting down the current protocol that Proteous jacks in October.

This means all MSN users that haven't upgraded can't log on, and third party clients are out in the cold until they talk to Microsoft and come to "an agreement." MS won't say what that agreement involves yet.

• Reply 7 of 7
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    I don't "use" it (MSN Messenger), but I "have" it.