I Have Returned

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have returned to lead you. Fear not my fellow countrymen...Nancy and I will soon return to our hallowed halls to lead this great nation into a new era.

We will begin by defeating the Soviet Union. Wait...you mean...it's no more? Wow. I guess I was right after all! Someone tell Schultz he owes me a five spot for that one.

Well, next on the agenda is unifying Germany. HUH? That too? Wow...I've been away awhile.

How about we cut taxes? .....Oh, come ON! Twice? shit.

Hmmm...let me think. Oh! I know. Missile Defense! What's that you say? It's partially operational already? Damn, not even I thought it would work.

Ok, that leaves us with getting Ollie North out of prison!

....huh...wait...HOLD ON ! He's got a cushy commentating job on Fox News? What the hell is Fox News? Jeez, next thing I know we won't be able to trust the New York Times!

Alright...alrright... at least there havenlt been any more Space Shuttle Disas..................oh.

It looks lime Nancy and I will have to think this over. There has to be something left to do. We shall return!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    There is one thing you haven´t done yet Reagan. Looks like you have recovered from altzheimers so could you please die a slow and painful death and be totally aware of the process all up until the end? This way thing will have been sat straight for all you iresponsible rhetoric that fueled the hearts and heads of million kids in th 80s with fear of huge fireballs, sudden death and atom winters.

Sory but I can´t find any love in my heart for you (sory fellowship)
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Hey Anders where's your sense of humour?

And BTW, I would think twice before wishing a horrible disease like Alzheimer's to anyone, even my worse enemy.

• Reply 3 of 22
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

There is one thing you haven´t done yet Reagan. Looks like you have recovered from altzheimers so could you please die a slow and painful death and be totally aware of the process all up until the end? This way thing will have been sat straight for all you iresponsible rhetoric that fueled the hearts and heads of million kids in th 80s with fear of huge fireballs, sudden death and atom winters.

Sory but I can´t find any love in my heart for you (sory fellowship)

Aries 1B
  • Reply 4 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Impersonating a person living or dead should be stopped in Ai.

Mods: I really think this should be nipped in the bud now.

Having people posting under other living people's names could leave Ai open to legal redress.

Do something about this clown before his mates join him...and flood Ai with stupid & illegal names or handles designed to give offence.

• Reply 5 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Let's get Al Franken's lawyer to defend our satire!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

Hey Anders where's your sense of humour?

And BTW, I would think twice before wishing a horrible disease like Alzheimer's to anyone, even my worse enemy.

Sorry about that. But this hate is reserved for one person. He singlehanded fcuked up mine and a lot of other childrens childhood with all the war rhetoric.

Have you seen the "kid painting" commercial for the star war project? How the umbrella is protecting America from the evil soviet rockets so USA doesn´t have to worry what other countries hurl at it? Guess what signal that sends to a kid that is old enough to understand that his place on the earth would be unprotected. Couple that with his rhetoric about evil empire and you got the feeling that what he wanted to say was "As soon as we have the umbrella we doesn´t give a fcuk with the rest of the world and as soon they try anything to us (or my astronomer tells me to) I will unleash hell to everybody else"

Again sorry. But I just speaks my opinion.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Sorry about that. But this hate is reserved for one person. He singlehanded fcuked up mine and a lot of other childrens childhood with all the war rhetoric.

Have you seen the "kid painting" commercial for the star war project? How the umbrella is protecting America from the evil soviet rockets so USA doesn´t have to worry what other countries hurl at it? Guess what signal that sends to a kid that is old enough to understand that his place on the earth would be unprotected. Couple that with his rhetoric about evil empire and you got the feeling that what he wanted to say was "As soon as we have the umbrella we doesn´t give a fcuk with the rest of the world and as soon they try anything to us (or my astronomer tells me to) I will unleash hell to everybody else"

Again sorry. But I just speaks my opinion.

Im no Reaganite, and he is not responsible for winning the cold war . . . and his rhetoric was a bit hot . . . . but, there was a war . . . a 'cold' war . . . and thank goodness you never lived under Soviet oppression

why not? because there were "brutes in the hallways' . . to paraphrase a saying . . . because force met force (or threatened to)

and believe me . . . Soviets had a clear expansionist agenda.

also . .. yeah, wishing a desease on someone . . . no matter how mythic he seems, is pretty sour.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Anders,

Well, I'm no fan of 'ole Ronny either, among other things, he also managed to have nuclear missiles based on our territory, AGAINST the public opinion of the majority of our population.

It's just that I have seen what Alzheimer does to a person.

I just had to react.

I do appreciate your apology though
  • Reply 9 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Well, I'm sure you know where I stand.

"Force met Force" says pfflam. I agree.

I've done a lot of reading about Reagan, and I feel confident he didn't want war. In fact, I know it's the last thing he wanted. He was desperate to prevent it.

Where Reagan differed was on the method of preventing it. According to his own writings, he knew we couldn't negotiate with the Soviets when he took office. For one, we did not have the strength to back up our positions. The Soviets had gotten the message they could pretty much do whatever they wanted...and we we would sit back and let it happen. the first step, according to him, was to build up our arms to demonstrate we had more potential to do so because of our economy.

Reagan was excited about his Reykjavik summit with Gorbachev. During the summit, he an Gorbachev has almost inked a deal which was beyond historic is proprortion. It called for the total elmination of ballistic missles and intermediate range missles in Europe on our part. It also called for large reductions in conventional Soviet Forces threatening Europe. Reagan could not believe the progress that had been made. Then, Gorby said "Of course, this all depends on you giving up SDI". Reagan announced the meeting was over.

This was the epitome of Reagan. He was convinced we needed a missle shield and he refused to give it up. He had the ability to walk away from a good deal if need be. He had even offered to share it with the Soviets. They refused.

In the end, Reagan's approach worked. He signed the INF treaty (a 50% arms reduction) at the end of 1987, a summit at which Gorby also agreed (on Reagan's personal request) to stop arms shipments to Nicaragua. In many ways, Reagan's approach was brilliant. His refusal to budge on SDI, his knowledge that the Soviet system was in decay, and his realization that they could not keep up with us militarily kept bringing the Soviets back to the table. They had to negotitate...or they couldn't survive.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ronald Reagan

Hmmm...let me think. Oh! I know. Missile Defense! What's that you say? It's partially operational already? Damn, not even I thought it would work.

Ronnie -- I hate to break it to you but we told you already several times:

1) it doesn't work. still.

2) uh ... there was this other thing happened in September 2001 ... kind of showed that yer 'star wars' thing wouldn't do jack to protect anyone ... as ... well ... the bad guys are a bit different these days ... hmm ... ask someone else about it ... uh '9-11' they call it ...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    And you know where I stand. Shoulder to shoulder with Anders.

I hope he dies too. I'm only sad that he's lost his mind so there's no chance for for anyone to explain to him quite how dangerous and frightening the world was because of him and his shallow, dogmatic understanding of global politics. Bastard.

The idea that he offered to share Star Wars with Russia is nonsense. Ronald 'Evil Empire' Reagan offered the Soviet Union technology to prevent American intercontinental ballistic missiles from striking their targets: is that your suggestion?

Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

His refusal to budge on SDI, his knowledge that the Soviet system was in decay, and his realization that they could not keep up with us militarily kept bringing the Soviets back to the table. They had to negotitate...or they couldn't survive.

Nonsense. Gorbachev's social concessions and volte-face arms limitation treaty signing flat-footed Reagan completely. Lest we forget, Russia ratified SALT II. Reagan didn't. It wasn't American military superiority and Reagan's canny understanding that might was right that bought the Soviet Union down but Gorbachev over-reaching his hand with perestroika and the unsustainable legacy of all the Russian premieres from Stalin to Andropov.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Well, I'm sure you know where I stand.

"Force met Force" says pfflam. I agree.

I've done a lot of reading about Reagan, and I feel confident he didn't want war. In fact, I know it's the last thing he wanted. He was desperate to prevent it.

Where Reagan differed was on the method of preventing it. According to his own writings, he knew we couldn't negotiate with the Soviets when he took office. For one, we did not have the strength to back up our positions. The Soviets had gotten the message they could pretty much do whatever they wanted...and we we would sit back and let it happen. the first step, according to him, was to build up our arms to demonstrate we had more potential to do so because of our economy.

Reagan was excited about his Reykjavik summit with Gorbachev. During the summit, he an Gorbachev has almost inked a deal which was beyond historic is proprortion. It called for the total elmination of ballistic missles and intermediate range missles in Europe on our part. It also called for large reductions in conventional Soviet Forces threatening Europe. Reagan could not believe the progress that had been made. Then, Gorby said "Of course, this all depends on you giving up SDI". Reagan announced the meeting was over.

This was the epitome of Reagan. He was convinced we needed a missle shield and he refused to give it up. He had the ability to walk away from a good deal if need be. He had even offered to share it with the Soviets. They refused.

In the end, Reagan's approach worked. He signed the INF treaty (a 50% arms reduction) at the end of 1987, a summit at which Gorby also agreed (on Reagan's personal request) to stop arms shipments to Nicaragua. In many ways, Reagan's approach was brilliant. His refusal to budge on SDI, his knowledge that the Soviet system was in decay, and his realization that they could not keep up with us militarily kept bringing the Soviets back to the table. They had to negotitate...or they couldn't survive.

This is just hilarious! First Reagan wins the cold war by force then it's his brillant approach? Get this staight.....he had nothing to do with it. The Soviets fell due to their failed economic policies ( too much military spending ). It would have happened with or without Reagan. It would have happened no matter what! It happens everytime a country puts it's self above the needs of it's people. Reagan was in the right place at the right time and took credit for it. Please!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'll vote for you Ronny! But only if you change your last name to "Raygun".
  • Reply 14 of 22
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    This is how many people remember Mr. Reagan. He said this while he was Governor of California, commenting on how he felt police and the National Guard should deal with demonstrations on campuses against the Vietnam war.

"If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with. No more appeasement."

Not long after after this pronouncement, the LA Special Tactical Squad teargassed hundreds of students engaged in a peaceful gathering on one of the campus parks without warning, then rampaged through the streets of Isla Vista (U.C. Santa Barbara campus), in stormtrooper style, dragging people out of their homes, including women and children, conducting beatings, sexual assaults, illegal searches, destroying personal property....

Nice guy. Benito M. would be proud.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    My favorite Eighties/Raygun song:

We've Got A Bigger Problem Now

Last call for alcohol.

Last call for your freedom of speech.

Drink up. Happy hour is now enforced by law.

Don't forget our house special, it's called a Trickie Dickie Screwdriver.

It's got one part Jack Daniels, two parts purple Kool-Aid,

and a jigger of formaldehyde

from the jar with Hitler's brain in it we got in the back storeroom.

Happy trails to you. Happy trails to you.

I am Emperor Ronald Reagan

Born again with fascist cravings

Still, you made me president

Human rights will soon go 'way

I am now your Shah today

Now I command all of you

Now you're going to pray in school

I'll make sure they're Christian too

California Uber alles

Uber alles California

Ku Klux Klan will control you

Still you think it's natural

Nigger knockin' for the master race

Still you wear the happy face

You closed your eyes, can't happen here

Alexander Haig is near

Vietnam won't come back you say

Join the army or you will pay

California Uber alles

Uber alles California

Yeah, that's it. Just relax.

Have another drink, few more pretzels, little more MSG.

Turn on those Dallas Cowboys on your TV.

Lock your doors. Close your mind.

It's time for the two-minute warning.

Welcome to 1984

Are you ready for the third world war?!?

You too will meet the secret police

They'll draft you and they'll jail your niece

You'll go quitely to boot camp

They'll shoot you dead, make you a man

Don't you worry, it's for a cause

Feeding global corporations' claws

Die on our brand new poison gas

El Salvador or Afghanistan

Making money for President Reagan

And all the friends of President Reagan

California Uber alles

Uber alles California

...Chillingly familiar situation we live in today, ain't it?...
  • Reply 16 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

"If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with. No more appeasement."

Wow. I can't think of something bad enough to happen to someone like this.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

And you know where I stand. Shoulder to shoulder with Anders.

I hope he dies too. I'm only sad that he's lost his mind so there's no chance for for anyone to explain to him quite how dangerous and frightening the world was because of him and his shallow, dogmatic understanding of global politics. Bastard.

The idea that he offered to share Star Wars with Russia is nonsense. Ronald 'Evil Empire' Reagan offered the Soviet Union technology to prevent American intercontinental ballistic missiles from striking their targets: is that your suggestion?

Nonsense. Gorbachev's social concessions and volte-face arms limitation treaty signing flat-footed Reagan completely. Lest we forget, Russia ratified SALT II. Reagan didn't. It wasn't American military superiority and Reagan's canny understanding that might was right that bought the Soviet Union down but Gorbachev over-reaching his hand with perestroika and the unsustainable legacy of all the Russian premieres from Stalin to Andropov.

What support do you have for your statement on how he made the world more frightening and dangerous?

And Reagan DID offer to share the technology with the Soviets. That's fact. It's not a suggestion. It happened. That is, unless his own writings on the subject are utter fabrications. Is that YOUR suggestion?

On, and one more thing: The Soviets WERE an evil Empire. You've got to be shitting me if you believe anything else. It wasn't the population at larege, it was the Communist Regime.

jimmac:

Quote:

his is just hilarious! First Reagan wins the cold war by force then it's his brillant approach? Get this staight.....he had nothing to do with it. The Soviets fell due to their failed economic policies ( too much military spending ). It would have happened with or without Reagan. It would have happened no matter what! It happens everytime a country puts it's self above the needs of it's people. Reagan was in the right place at the right time and took credit for it. Please!

Well thanks for setting me straight, jimmac. You say Reagan had nothing to do with it because that fits your politcal views. Reagan didn't cause the collapse, but he aided it. His administration also called a spade a spade, telling the Soviets that we would not allow them to pursue their expansionist agenda and lie about it to the world anymore. To understand this concept, one must know that until Gorbachev came along, lying to prmote communist causes was openly boasted of. It was considered perfectly normal as long as communism advanced. Reagan literally told the Soviets we "knew what they were up to". He called them out on everything from Human Rights abuses to private property ownership to religious prisoners.

Reagan's refusal to budge did, in fact, keep the Soviets negotiating. One does not negotiate when one doesn't need to. As you said, the Soviets were collapsing and beginning to realize it. This combined with Reagan's strong and often unrelenting positions (and the military power to back them up) FORCED them to negotiate for peace. Had Reagan been more pliable, they would have no incentive to continue talks. This also applies to our military buildup...without which we would have had no bargaining power.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

[

On, and one more thing: The Soviets WERE an evil Empire. You've got to be shitting me if you believe anything else. It wasn't the population at larege, it was the Communist Regime.

Fair enough. The Soviet Union was never my idea of the kind of society I would recommend to anyone. Evil empire? Maybe, but not the only one, for sure. Just look at modern day China: They have a horrendous human rights record, as bad as the USSR. They have wielded expansionist policies...they annexed Tibet in the 1950s, with a near annihilation of that culture...and they are now getting jingoistic about Taiwan. Freedom of speech, assembly and religion in China? Absolutely No way! The regime is heavily authoritarian and....Communist!!!! They have the world's largest army, and a big nuclear arsenal.

But if trade, or lack of it was any indication of America's disapproval of a regime (Iraq, Libya, Cuba etc), then one would expect that Chinese goods wouldn't be on our store shelves here in the USA. Um...look at almost *anything* in any store, in any city....It seems as if everything is "Made In China". They have MFN trading status (acquired under Clinton, renewed under Bush). Trade sanctions don't hurt or weaken rogue governments, just the people who have to live under them. I don't believe sanctions will change the iron fist of the Chinese authorities....

There was a fantastic amount of energy and money spent in a prolonged military build-up and an out-of-control arms race, as well as getting everyone paranoid for decades over that largely unfounded "Soviet threat" (they couldnt even feed their own people, let alone invade Europe or America)...but re. China, absolutely not a whisper! Those commies are just fine'n'dandy! The double standards were/are breathtaking...and while the thread is on Reagan...(not to get too far off topic).... well he was the master of duplicity.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

My favorite Eighties/Raygun song:

Isn't that the Dead Kennedys? Or am I missing something here?

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 20 of 22
    It's ironic that Washington DC airport is named after Ronald Reagan. He was the president who fired all the air traffic controllers!