AppleWorks

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I guess that I haven't been paying attention, but when did Apple stop including AppleWorks with their new computers? I just bought a 12" PowerBook and expected it to be there. TextEdit just isn't going to work for me. Is it buried somewhere on the hard-drive?

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    AppleWorks, World Book Encyclopedia, PixelNHance, Deimos Rising and a few other programs came with my iBook. I believe there's a different set of bundled software for consumer and pro computers. So my iBook has the Consumer set.

My dad's PowerBook came with PCalc 2, Snapz Pro X, and Graphic Converter 4.1. That must be the Pro set.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

My dad's PowerBook came with PCalc 2, Snapz Pro X, and Graphic Converter 4.1. That must be the Pro set.

I have AppleWorks for OS9 on my iMac. I guess that I'll just have to use that.

Brian
  • Reply 3 of 8
    AppleWorks 6 works in both OS 9 and OS X. If you mean AppleWorks 5, then no, you can't use that in OS X (except in classic mode).

One word processor that's actually worth a serious look is Microsoft Word 5.1a. It's extremely old, and you'd have to use it in Classic mode, but it's as good as AppleWorks 6. Probably the best piece of software Microsoft has EVER put out. The problem is that it was shipped on five or six floppy disks, and the installer hangs if you try to install it on a large hard drive. What I did was install it on a Mac SE, move the installed folder to a Zip disk using a SCSI Zip drive, then I moved the Zip to my brother's G3 which has an internal Zip drive and is hooked up to the network so I could transfer it to my computer . But you might be able to find someone willing to sell it or give it to you on a CD or something. I don't have it now otherwise I'd send it. And buying a USB floppy drive won't work because it came on 800kb diskettes which can't be read by USB floppies.

Also, I think Corel WordPerfect for Mac is now a free download.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

AppleWorks 6 works in both OS 9 and OS X.

I didn't know that. I just installed AppleWorks from my iMac and it does indeed work in OSX.

Thank you very much, Luca!

Brian
  • Reply 5 of 8
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Appleworks is only included on "consumer" machines by Apple. That means the iMac, eMac and iBook all get it. The Powerbook, and Powermac do not.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

That's funny because my 12" powerbook came with omnioutliner, graphic converter, quickbooks, and art director's toolkit (a GREAT app). Must be a different bundle.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Well, that was a PowerBook he got a year and a half ago. The bundle has certainly changed since. I mean, it came with Graphic Converter 4.1, and I think it's at version 4.7 now.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by tvc15

I didn't know that. I just installed AppleWorks from my iMac and it does indeed work in OSX.

Thank you very much, Luca!

Brian

Check the version number (in the about box). If it's under 6.2, make it a high priority to go to the AppleWorks website and download the 6.2.7 updater.