A "review" of the G5...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Note the quotes around the word "review." From Reviewboard Magazine:

Quote:

Apple has introduced it's new G5 64-bit Desktop. In fact they claim it's the world's first (although how they can do that is beyond us). AMD released their Opteron line (which is a much faster 64-bit processor that does 32-bit applications without performance degradation) months ago. In fact, many people have them in their desktop so again we are confused by Apple's propaganda. As of the writing of this article, the G5 can't even be bought (only pre-ordered).

As usual the Apple design makes PC manufacturers look foolish. Physically the system is absolutely stunning. Too bad they can't get any decent software for it. You have their BSD-based operating system, a few popular business applications and some lower end games. For instance we just got finished playing a game called Freelancer, you won't see that title our for the Apple. In fact, most of the major game developers in the United States do not produce games for the Apple so if you are thinking this computer will be good for your family you are wrong.

The specs are equally unimpressive:
  • Dual 2.0 GHz

• 512 MB DDR SDRAM

• 160 GB 7200 HDD

• CDRW (32x 16x 10x)

• Mac OS X

• iLife

• Keyboard

• Mouse

• DVD-R (4x)

• Radeon 9600

• Built-In Speaker (1 speaker)

• 5 USB Ports, 2 Firewire Ports

• 10/100 Ethernet

• 1 Year Parts 1 Year Labor Warranty

ALL THIS for a mere $3,000!!

First lets discuss the dual processor. Very neat, but AMD has been putting out much faster processors and yes you can go dual with the Opteron. The reason Apple would probably go with dual processors is simply performance. For 3 thousand dollars you want your computer to WAMP and with one processor it would only WIMP at a mere 2 GHz. (PC Value TWO 2 GHz Processors $380)

512 Megs of DDR ($25 Dollar Value) *Note they didn't mention PC2100, PC's are using DDR that is twice that fast.

160 Gigabyte Hard drive - that's a nice drive. No question of it. (Value $185)

DVD-R 4x burn - This means you can burn a DVD in about 22 minutes. Not bad (Value $280)

The CDRW is very disappointing, the reason is simply that 52x CDRW drives have been out for over 4 months. Why didn't they go with the fastest? The 52x drive is around $55 USD, so the only conclusion I can come up with (again theory) is that they had a bunch of OLD drives (new but old) laying around and wanted to get rid of them. Nice way to treat a customer that just spent $3,000 USD.

With a motherboard, a 9600 Radeon (which blows chunks for gaming) and all of the equipment up there you could get into a desktop PC for less than $2,000.00 with Windows XP, Office SBE, and have access to all the games, application software and tools available to the real world.

In our opinion, if you buy one of these Apple computers you are admitting that looks means more than function. If you don't use your computer and you want to put it on your desktop to impress people that don't use computers than buy one. Otherwise you might want to call a PC manufacturer and get a real computer.

1 out of 3 stars - The Design is absolutely beautiful.

I'm no tech-head, but from my modestly-informed perspective this article only deserves a .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    god damn, where to start......

Quote:

(PC Value TWO 2 GHz Processors $380)

he never mentioned that a regular pentium cannot go MP, only a xeon

Quote:

First lets discuss the dual processor. Very neat, but AMD has been putting out much faster processors and yes you can go dual with the Opteron. The reason Apple would probably go with dual processors is simply performance. For 3 thousand dollars you want your computer to WAMP and with one processor it would only WIMP at a mere 2 GHz. (PC Value TWO 2 GHz Processors $380)

this is just total bs, a 2 ghz pc dosent stand a chance against a 2 ghz mac. not even a pc freak would claim this. what the **** is this guy smoking, cuz i want some.

Quote:

10/100 Ethernet

did apple downgrade? i was 99.99% sure....wait, make that 100%, just looked it up, that apple had gigabit ethernet, dummass missed that little tidbit.

Quote:

512 Megs of DDR ($25 Dollar Value) *Note they didn't mention PC2100, PC's are using DDR that is twice that fast.

weeeee! bullshit so thick that a knife can cut through it. last i checked, a dual 2ghz came w/ pc3200, show me where you can get that for 25$. and show me a similarly priced pc that has the potential to be upgraded to 8gigs.

Quote:

The CDRW is very disappointing, the reason is simply that 52x CDRW drives have been out for over 4 months. Why didn't they go with the fastest? The 52x drive is around $55 USD, so the only conclusion I can come up with (again theory) is that they had a bunch of OLD drives (new but old) laying around and wanted to get rid of them. Nice way to treat a customer that just spent $3,000 USD.

did this guy even look at the machine?? does he know that the dvdr/dvdrom/cdrom/cdrw is all one unit??? did he bother to check any manufacturers for a superdrive that did 52x cdrom buring?? im guessing one would be a little bit more than just 55$.

Quote:

more article-y bullshit yadda yadda can build a pc for cheaper blah blah blah

ok, if you wanna go out and build a pc w/ dirt cheap no name crap parts and claim its cheaper than a mac, by all means, go ahead. well stick w/ the fact that we know you will be stuck in a hellish nightmare world known as windows and laugh when the next blaster worm shuts your computer down or when SoBig.e arrives.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

...so if you are thinking this computer will be good for your family you are wrong.

Oh yes. The horrible, next-to-useless iTunes and iPhoto should NEVER be used by a music-loving, digital camera-owning family. And iMovie? A truly horrendous piece of crap...you're better of manually splicing video tape together and humming a soundtrack into the microphone.

Idiot.

It's "reviews" (and people, for that matter) like this that I specifically use the word "spec whore" to describe. All people like this look at are "52x" and "3GHz" and so forth.

Actually having a cohesive, beautifully designed experience - from the ground up - between the hardware, the OS and the included (FREE) digital media apps don't even register on the radar of pinheads like this.

Yes, the G5...a lowly waste of space and a sure bomb for Apple. I guess only when the Mac runs a variant of Windows will we truly know what it's like to use a "real computer". Jackass.

[insert huge, double MEGA eyeroll smiley here]
  • Reply 3 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    So, wait, did this twit actually try out the dual 2gig G5 or just look at the specs and pan it? If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was written by a 12 year-old. But I do know better and I swear the writer couldn't have been over 17. Please don't follow the link and give this moron any hits.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

"spec whore"

That should have been included in the recent tech slang added to the dictionary.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Webster would have to pay me royalties.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    best. review. ever.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

best. review. ever.

Somebody email this guy a little reality, calmly, and maybe he'll fix it.

On the other hand, maybe he'll send back an e-raspberry - more likely.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    resres Posts: 711member
    Wow, that has to be the worst review I've ever read. The only point in the article that has a drop of merit is the state of gaming on the mac (I keep a fast PC around just for the gaming). The rest of the review is either wrong, or at the very least misleading.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    People like this are so stupid they should fall down a long set of stairs. Like the ones in Tibet.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

So, wait, did this twit actually try out the dual 2gig G5 or just look at the specs and pan it? If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was written by a 12 year-old. But I do know better and I swear the writer couldn't have been over 17. Please don't follow the link and give this moron any hits.

Yeah, the dolt took a quick glance at the specs with his myopic eyes and made up his filthy little mind without actually thinking. Maybe he hasn't done that thing that most reviewers do: use the machine.

Oh, and I could write better than this guy.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Thank god I didn't click on that link.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    BWAHAHA! This is the dumbest piece of shit review I've ever seen! What kind of RDF are they living in?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yeah, the dolt took a quick glance at the specs with his myopic eyes and made up his filthy little mind without actually thinking. Maybe he hasn't done that thing that most reviewers do: use the machine.

Oh, and I could write better than this guy.

He didn't even get the specs right! The RAM is faster, the SuperDrive comes with BUILT-IN CD-RW!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Ummm....

How did he review a machine that he didn't actually have to test?

This is HANDS DOWN one of the worst reviews I have ever read. The guy is obviously clueless. I could take him to task for his idiocy, but I have software to write...

The guy is an idiot. I am stunned by his idiocy. Such bald faced idiocy is practically without parallel. Perhaps he is the Iraqi minister of information?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yeah, stupid review, but I checked out their site and they also have a glowing review of the G5.

http://www.reviewboard.com/Section/Cover/applepmg5
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Yeah, stupid review, but I checked out their site and they also have a glowing review of the G5.

http://www.reviewboard.com/Section/Cover/applepmg5

"It's hard to rate a computer that you haven't actually had a chance to use yet, so I'm not going to."

Good man.

Quote:

I'm a moron who possesses the ability to become intimately familir with a device I've never owned, therefore the PowerMac G5 sucks.

Asshole.

I heard the PowerMac G5 can take up to 16GB of RAM? if you can afford the chips, of course. They are about ten times more expensive than 1GB chips from third party vendors. Even the spec whore? can appreciate that.