iPod 50GB in November

zozo
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
'lo all,

I have NO clue how attendible this is, but a friend was in Singapore to pick me up a 30GB iPod (since they're a HELL of a lot cheaper there), and the guy selling them was saying if he wanted to wait until November to buy th iPod because 50GB iPods would be coming out and that 15GB would be dirt cheap (ie prob 299usd).

I dont know why this person would know this but the time frame makes sense, just before Christmas.

Anyway, I want an iPod so I went ahead with the 30... Cant wait to get the thing!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That might be true, and it would make sense that it would be out before Xmas. You sure the guy wasn't "making plastics"?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    50gb!? this is getting insane...

thats more hard disc space than my powerbook...
  • Reply 3 of 43
    How much cheaper ??? ... it would be easy enough for me to get to Singapore !!!
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

50gb!? this is getting insane...

thats more hard disc space than my powerbook...

then maybe with that much room they could put a video decoder in it so we could rip DVD's to an iPod to watch on the bus!!!!!

Seriously wow 50GB that's a lot of mp3
  • Reply 5 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Well, Hitachi, Toshiba's competition in the 1.8" HDD space, says that they'll have an 80GB drive by year's end, what's more they have a 40GB version now. WHere it's used iDunno, but we're not too far off the pace already.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    50gb!!!!! thats just insane!...

thats more hard disc space than my PowerMac

Who has that much music anay?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Mac

I do...
  • Reply 8 of 43
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

i dont but i definitely would not mind

1.) encoding at a much higher bitrate

2.) having a lot more additional storage space in my pocket
  • Reply 9 of 43
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i dont but i definitely would not mind

1.) encoding at a much higher bitrate

2.) having a lot more additional storage space in my pocket

Well, I have 85GB (17,000 songs) so a 50GB iPod isn't going to help me, but it's a start in the right direction. But listening 24/7 would take 50 days to listen to all the songs. Think it will need a bigger battery too...
  • Reply 10 of 43
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

iPods aint just about music...

Plus, Apple could easily justify 50GB by making a REAL revamp by adding Video playback features (MPEG4 would be nice, but would take a hell of a processor).

Would be perfect for, say, an iFilm website where you can download movies, add to your new iPod AV and watch movies on a mini OLED screen and/or attach to a monitor or TV and watch movies.

Hmmm... just made all that up. Scary, it works pretty well too.

iFilm site, an iPod AV...
  • Reply 11 of 43
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

is that an echo in here...

\
  • Reply 12 of 43
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Well, I have 85GB (17,000 songs) so a 50GB iPod isn't going to help me, but it's a start in the right direction.

holy smokes! i have 8000 songs and thought that was a lot - but yeah - bigger is better.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

is that an echo in here...

\

Great minds think alike
  • Reply 14 of 43
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Well, I have 85GB (17,000 songs) so a 50GB iPod isn't going to help me, but it's a start in the right direction. But listening 24/7 would take 50 days to listen to all the songs. Think it will need a bigger battery too...

Must we have this battle again?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Won't happen. Very few people need more then 30 or 40GB. It shows how crazy this could get though... low-end Dells come with a 20GB HD by default! A 50GB iPod would be almost three times that space.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Apple could cross the iPod with some other applications. Not just iApps, but backup, mail, software update and maybe others. I like the thought of going to an Apple store with the iPod and getting updates, going home and having them install automatically. OK, I have DSL, but some people might like the idea. A lot of people have broadband at work but just a modem at home.

All of your mailboxes so not only can you have the info with you, but a backup in case something gets f'ed.

What other ideas would people have? I know the video one, and that's fine if it ever happens, fine if it doesn't. I just think more could be done with iSync.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Apple could cross the iPod with some other applications. Not just iApps, but backup, mail, software update and maybe others. I like the thought of going to an Apple store with the iPod and getting updates, going home and having them install automatically. OK, I have DSL, but some people might like the idea. A lot of people have broadband at work but just a modem at home.

All of your mailboxes so not only can you have the info with you, but a backup in case something gets f'ed.

What other ideas would people have? I know the video one, and that's fine if it ever happens, fine if it doesn't. I just think more could be done with iSync.

i think what a lot of you are saying is right. if iPod goes up to 50Gig, you've got to assume Apple is planning on a major advance in what the thing can do:

- full-sized 16:9 screen with video playback

- more PDA-like functionalities

- text input

the possibilites are endless of course. needless to say, by the time Sony gets their "PSP" to market, Apple will have already done it, and better.

that's my 2 cents.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I really like the idea of giving iSync updates, or OS X updates for free at Apple Stores.

Go to the iSync / iUpdate section of any Apple Store, plug in your iPod, and blammo, get all the latest updates (even some third party shareware, game demos, .Mac freebees, movie trailers, audio sample available on music store, etc).

That would be a KICK ASS service...
  • Reply 19 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Heck, I'd store my music collection on that beast in AIFF format. Screw compression.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    ****, no! I just ordered mine! "15GB is enough" I said, but will be dirt cheap in November!? What if it's bullshit and I've waited that long, then have to deal with the fact that a real update will be just around the corner!?

But it would blow away the Nomad, even in the eyes of spec whores who don't care if it works well, as long as it works.