Sharing Broadband with PC Housemates

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I'm sharing a house with two friends who insist on using Windows machines. We want to get a broadband connection in our house but i was wondering if it is difficult to share the connection between the three machines. I'm not that great with networks, and if we all had Mac's obviously we'd just get one broadband modem and hook it up to an Airport basestation and share the connection that way, but my mates ruined that plan!

Basically, i have no idea where to start, i don't know if we can all share one broadband modem, and if we can..how?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

The ideal situation would be for me to be able to use the connection through Airport to my Powerbook, and the other two housemates to keep to themselves in their rooms using it as well.

Cheers guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    All you need is a Hub (I prefer Router) and 4 Cat5e cables. Plug the compueters into the "hub" with the cables. and plug the cable from the broadband modem into the No. 1 Port and plug everything in and it should work.

List of things you need

5port or 4 port router

4 Cat5e or Cat6(Better for video, games and file servers)

10mins of time

Active internet connection.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    It's real easy. I have a 12" Powerbook and my family has PCs and we all share our broadband connection through a Linksys router which has both airport-compatible antennas and a 10/100 switch. One machine could link directly to it through the 10/100 ethernet port and you can sit the router next to it and the rest can get their access over 802.11b (Airport) or if everyone has a 802.11b card, just put the router where its close and convenient. There's very little if any configuration needed if all you guys want to do is get online. Apple's airport basestation can only really be configured with a mac if I remember right. Most 3rd party routers can be configured through your web browser so any machine can do it. Apple's aiport cards work fine with any 802.11b router/gateway, you dont need apple's airport basestation.

Hope that helps.....

Quote:

Originally posted by UkNeedsApple

Hi guys,

I'm sharing a house with two friends who insist on using Windows machines. We want to get a broadband connection in our house but i was wondering if it is difficult to share the connection between the three machines. I'm not that great with networks, and if we all had Mac's obviously we'd just get one broadband modem and hook it up to an Airport basestation and share the connection that way, but my mates ruined that plan!

Basically, i have no idea where to start, i don't know if we can all share one broadband modem, and if we can..how?

The ideal situation would be for me to be able to use the connection through Airport to my Powerbook, and the other two housemates to keep to themselves in their rooms using it as well.

Cheers guys

• Reply 3 of 13
    Go ahead and get the Airport (or Linksys if you're on a budget) ... PC's will work just fine with it. an 802.11b PCI card for a desktop PC can be had for $49 USD ... for a PC notebook, $69 USD.

Personally I use an Airport to network and share broadband for 2 macs and one XP machine.... no problems whatsoever.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Actually, don't get the Airport base station. Get a router, as suggested, or a linksys/whatever 802.11b base station that has a proper 3 (or more) port ethernet switch. That way PCs will have 100 base T ethernet speeds, and if you desire wireless networking, your mac can be anywhere and will get speeds of about 4 megabits/sec. These wireless routers can be had for cheap. like about $100 USD probably. Any brand will do.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I agree about gettng a wireless router with 4 ethernet ports. The price isn't that much differnet from a router with just the 4 ports. Having cables run all around the house/ apartment are a pain. If your roommates have laptops, then they will get pcmcia cards for wireless within days of seeing you not be trapped in one place. To make your point on this, make the best, most comfortable chair your surfing spot. There is almost no set up required for most. Check your ISP for which models are supported.

reg
  • Reply 6 of 13
    reynardreynard Posts: 160member
    I share broadband (cable modem) among my mac and my 2 son's Windows XP machines. No problem. We can even share files. I did a wired setup since we have desktops. You can do a combination--ethernet to some computers and wireless to your laptop.

I just set my mac and the PCs to DCHP and it was plug and play. BTW, I am the least tech savy person to post here so it can't be too difficult.

Just come back here or other Mac bulletin boards if you get stuck.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Y'know, for $45, this 4-port 802.11b wifi router is a steal.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...300094-6605400
  • Reply 8 of 13
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by UkNeedsApple

Hi guys,

Cheers guys

- If you go with a wired router, chances are high that it doesn't do traffic balancing. This means if one of your mates downloads a movie or something, you will hardly be able to surf the web.

- PCs can't have a static and a dynamic IP at the same time (linux of course can). If you get three or more IP addresses from your provider, the cheapest solution would be to buy a switch. However, if the provider gives you addresses in different subnets, you won't be able to do fast filsharing between the Computers (even though you can give your Mac an IP in the PC's subnet, this only works well as long as the IP is not used by someone else). Solutions: buy a router, get an old linux machine which you can configure to do the routing, use your Mac as a router. Of course, the router must be available 24/7.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

- If you go with a wired router, chances are high that it doesn't do traffic balancing. This means if one of your mates downloads a movie or something, you will hardly be able to surf the web.

- PCs can't have a static and a dynamic IP at the same time (linux of course can). If you get three or more IP addresses from your provider, the cheapest solution would be to buy a switch. However, if the provider gives you addresses in different subnets, you won't be able to do fast filsharing between the Computers (even though you can give your Mac an IP in the PC's subnet, this only works well as long as the IP is not used by someone else). Solutions: buy a router, get an old linux machine which you can configure to do the routing, use your Mac as a router. Of course, the router must be available 24/7.

None of that really makes any sense.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielb0101

None of that really makes any sense.

If you say so.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    What if more of us say so?

A linux box configured as a router for someone who doesn't know that they are asking for a 'router'? That really doesn't make any sense.

Instead, save them dozens of hours of headaches and buy a four-port-router/wireless-node for $50.

Just about any 802.11(b or g) wired/wireless router will work nicely, not just the apple Airport Base Station. Just make sure the router has web based configuration and you'll be ok.

Edit: I went back and looked at the thread and realized you may have been asking for more complete, basic info.

What you'll need is a router. A router logs onto the internet and then the rest of your computers log onto the router. The router stores and uses your username and password to maintain your connection to the web. Just use safari to configure the router and then forget about it. Routers can have ports for normal ethernet wiring, built in wireless capabilities, or both. I suggest buying a four port router with built in 802.11b wireless. These are cheap, reliable, and are a very typical setup. 802.11a is a rare standard and 802.11g is a new/faster standard that still works with the 802.11b wireless gear that everyone uses right now.

In short: You need a 802.11b / 4-port-router. LinkSys and Netgear are quite popular and you should be able to find what you need online or at Circuit City for under 100 dollars.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    My points above address two common problems people often run into (or don't think of) when they set up shared broadband networks. They were meant as an addition to what other people have already said or what he might have heard from elsewhere. I thought more info was always welcome.

Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

What if more of us say so?

Then you're just as wrong. If it makes no sense to you because you have no idea about networking... fine.

Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

A linux box configured as a router for someone who doesn't know that they are asking for a 'router'? That really doesn't make any sense.

Do you assume that they're stupid or what? I listed the options they have in the order I would recommend it to them. Going for the linux box has several big advantages, but it's of course more difficult to set up, that's why I said "router" first. However, even though this might be news to you, there are people who like to learn something new from time to time. Having a motivating goal (mp3 server, movie server, app server... with very good routing and traffic shaping/monitoring capabilities == linux box) makes it more interesting and easier. If he doesn't need this, doesn't want a noisy box, doesn't have the space, can't get one for free, doesn't want to invest the time, just hates linux or whatever, well then he can just go for the router. I never said he shouldn't.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

Then you're just as wrong. If it makes no sense to you because you have no idea about networking... fine.

Do you assume that they're stupid or what?

Sheesh. Maybe I should have put more emphisis on the "".

I don't think they're stupid. In fact, the smartest people I know would be completely lost trying to set up software NAT on a linux box. It's just not that valuable of a skill unless you're an IT monkey by day.