My Christian Brethren... Don't make an ass of yourself

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Especially on the national news. The other day I'm listening to the radio and they are discussing the issue with the 10 commandments monument in Alabama (an issue that I'm divided on), and they play a sound byte from the demonstators there. Well, one of the demonstrators is screaming... "PUT IT BACK, PUT IT BACK.... KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OUR GOD!!!!" He repeats this over and over. This struck a nerve in me, it left a foul taste in my mouth. Doesn't one of the commandments state do not make any graven images or idols? The quote above somehow strikes me as not adhering to that commandment. So please my fellow Christians, don't make an ass of yourself on national television, leave that to the politicians.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by LiquidR

...... one of the demonstrators is screaming...

" PUT IT BACK, PUT IT BACK.... KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OUR GOD!!!!" He repeats this over and over.

" Doesn't one of the commandments state do not make any graven images or idols? "

Yep...pity there isn't a commandment for bad taste or foot in mouth disease too.

" So please my fellow Christians, don't make an ass of yourself on national television, leave that to the politicians.

Quidy, why should the Poly's have all the fun ?

I suspect these particular churchians were merely trying to get on the " Graven train "...

( OK, I can here the groans..but I just had to say it )
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quidy??? Whats that??? An Aussie term I suspect. I've never heard it before.

I don't know, it just seems awful dificult to grow in our faith when others of the Christian faith go out of their way to make an ass of themselves. I just wish that other people would take it as this particular person being an ass instead of a reflection on the entire faith. The same could be said about any other faith and peoples misconceptions due to a few jerks.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Stupid people suck.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Stupid people suck.

I second the motion...
  • Reply 5 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have a friend who could be considered Christian but he calls himself a Quaker because he's ashamed of the label of Christianity. To him, it represents so much bloodshed over the years, so much hatred that still happens... he just doesn't want to be associated with those kinds of people. Since he's a pacifist, he considers himself a Quaker. It seems like an interesting decision to me... I'm sure there would be some Christians that would hate that he does that, but it makes sense to me because it seems that major organized religions can't stay out of trouble (probably at least partly because of the huge number of people associated with them).
  • Reply 6 of 17
    " Stupid people suck " Posted by Moogs

Originally posted by jwri004

" I second the motion..."

What a bunch of Suckers
  • Reply 7 of 17
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    My favorite was some faceless Conservative-Christian commentator who howled that the Constitution itself proclaims that the power of the Judiciary emanates from the sacred law of God.

Skepticism aside, I actually went and looked at my copy of the Constitution, and lo and behond, God is nowhere to be seen in Article III. Or, indeed, anywhere else in the Constitution.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Originally posted by LiquidR

Quidy??? Whats that??? An Aussie term I suspect. I've never heard it before.

Yep, it is Aussie speak...We have an endearing habit of shortening words that are long or difficult.

Eg : Good Day becomes "G'day "

Football becomes " Footy "

Holidays becomes " Hols " etc

Calling you LiquidR is formal..

Calling you "Quidy " is just shorthand & informal..( it's the middle part of your " name " with a Y added )

Just Aussie mateship....& an invitation to a " piss up " ( That's shorthand for a beer drinking contest )....
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quidy?? Quidy?? Quidy. Ok, I dig it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    For the past five years, I've worked in a Christian bookstore and that's almost enough to make you lose all faith. From being condemned to hell for not reopening the store 15 minutes after we closed so a woman could buy a card, to being lectured on not locking our doors at night (someone could need the Holy Spirit and they wouldn't be able to get in), to being prayed for by a customer who thought it was a sin that women were invading the men's world and wearing pants (like I was), I've seen more than enough examples of "christians" making an ass of themselves. Plenty of people were cranky and rude (one woman bitched me out for fifteen minutes for not having an expensive enough cross) and I've always wondered if they ever opened the Bibles that they bought. In my opinion, Christians today, especially in the U.S., are too concerned with their own opinions and ideology to focus on the basic tenants of Christianity such as loving God and one's neighbors. It might be better if Christians followed the line of thought offered by St. Francis: "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words."
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Originally posted by Naderfan

" For the past five years, I've worked in a Christian bookstore and that's almost enough to make you lose all faith. From being condemned to hell for not reopening the store 15 minutes after we closed so a woman could buy a card, to being lectured on not locking our doors at night (someone could need the Holy Spirit and they wouldn't be able to get in), to being prayed for by a customer who thought it was a sin that women were invading the men's world and wearing pants (like I was), I've seen more than enough examples of "christians" making an ass of themselves. Plenty of people were cranky and rude (one woman bitched me out for fifteen minutes for not having an expensive enough cross) and I've always wondered if they ever opened the Bibles that they bought. In my opinion, Christians today, especially in the U.S., are too concerned with their own opinions and ideology to focus on the basic tenants of Christianity such as loving God and one's neighbors. It might be better if Christians followed the line of thought offered by St. Francis: "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words."

And we wonder where the term Bible~Basher comes from...Go figure...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

originally posted by Naderfan

For the past five years, I've worked in a Christian bookstore and that's almost enough to make you lose all faith. From being condemned to hell for not reopening the store 15 minutes after we closed so a woman could buy a card, to being lectured on not locking our doors at night (someone could need the Holy Spirit and they wouldn't be able to get in), to being prayed for by a customer who thought it was a sin that women were invading the men's world and wearing pants (like I was), I've seen more than enough examples of "christians" making an ass of themselves. Plenty of people were cranky and rude (one woman bitched me out for fifteen minutes for not having an expensive enough cross) and I've always wondered if they ever opened the Bibles that they bought. In my opinion, Christians today, especially in the U.S., are too concerned with their own opinions and ideology to focus on the basic tenants of Christianity such as loving God and one's neighbors. It might be better if Christians followed the line of thought offered by St. Francis: "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words."

Your experience is a prime example of what I am talking about. Yes, it would be great to be able to police our own, but they often make it difficult by policing us and others for unimportant transient reasons. I guess it is best if we just police ourselves. Lead by example and don't be afraid to tell those around you of the same faith to shut up when they are being stupid.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Your experience is a prime example of what I am talking about. Yes, it would be great to be able to police our own, but they often make it difficult by policing us and others for unimportant transient reasons. I guess it is best if we just police ourselves. Lead by example and don't be afraid to tell those around you of the same faith to shut up when they are being stupid.

I find it fascinating to ponder over Christ's apparent unwillingness to have anything he did or said put down into to words..

Almost as if he "knew" that words lead to legalism & schism.

I strongly believe that Christ never intended for a church to be built around him. That was Paul's Idea.

More than ever I believe Christ was trying to break down the legalistic orthodoxy of worship that so clogged the thinking of the Pharisees and Jewish peoples.

As far as I am concerned, he came to wipe all that crap away..& to show us our direct & personal connection to God through love... not to have some misguided individuals reverence him instead of God..who is God to ALL of us.

But Like I said in a previous post, most church go'ers suffere under the misguided illusion of being " Christian" ..when in fact they are Paulians..
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

It's very simple - Christians should be the 'imitation of Christ' in all their actions and worldly dealings. End of problem.

Why don't they though (in the main). It's not difficult - many just claim it is because they don't really want to do it.

So true..so true...sigh....
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Stupid people suck.

Stupid Christians are even Worse.

Abortion Doctor's Killer Expects "Reward"

"The sooner I am executed ... the sooner I am going to heaven," [Paul Hill] said. "I expect a great reward in heaven. I am looking forward to glory. I don't feel remorse."

Naderfan: I think you really nail down the issue with your post. I remember when I first got to meet people through Christian list servs and ended up being the target of everyone's hatred simply because I said I was Catholic. I find it ironic that out of all the ethnic/religions groups I've hung out with, it was for the most part the Christians who exposed me to the most hate and intolerance.