Reprehensible, Apple pushes dual G5's again!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just got an update from Macconection on my Standard Dual G5 that was ordered 6/23/03 over 2 months ago- 69 days ago and was told at the time it would ship mid Aug, probably sooner since i ordered early!

I was told a soon as last week it would ship 8/29 and apples official announcement last week was that Dual G5's were on schedule to ship on time.

My date now is that Macconection will not get them until 9/29 a full 96 days after I ordered.

Unacceptable in todays computer world for hardware.

If i was buying this to play games or play on the internet i could deal with it but this is a business purchase where speed is money and apple has been far behind for so long I can't remember.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    I guess that you haven't been online the last week?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Damn Apple for not being able to predict the future EXACTLY. Damn them all to hell.

Its not like its a new chip, in a new factory, with a new manuf. process,, with a overwhelming demand for one model out of of three, and new units getting sucked up by a certain east coast university or something...
  • Reply 3 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    They should have given more conservative dates, so if they happened to ship early, that would be a pleasant surprise.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Yup, I think I watched one Star Trek, and learnt a good lesson from Scotty, always say somethings going to take a lot longer then it really will, then people think you are amazing when you do it earlier!

Apple should have said that G5's would be out in October, then people would be pleasantly surprised to get them in september

revs
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Apple should announce the product when it is ready to ship!

Not MONTHS before they have a clue when it will ship. Allowing the university to jump ahead in the que is lame also.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Any one else notice that estimated ship times on a new BTO 2 Ghz G5 on the online apple store is 10-15 days???
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

Not MONTHS before they have a clue when it will ship. Allowing the university to jump ahead in the que is lame also.

I'd have to agree. Preannouncing might help beat leaks, but Apple is taking it a bit too far. Also, don't they ALWAYS have this problem with high end models? Seems they could have foreseen some delay more than they did, as they have yet to give any specific reasons for the delay..
  • Reply 8 of 30
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, i am still waiting on my build-to-order dual G4, for cryin' out loud, and i am pretty sure they have those just lying around (propping open doors, drying hands in the company restrooms, etc.).
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

And then you'll have a gazillion threads where people who just bought a G4 would be complaing, and you'll have 0 G5 ready apps plus a longer period before you'll see optimized apps.

Counting the days from the day you order till the day you get it is laughable when you at the time of order know that it will be out around 60 days later at the earliest.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

as they have yet to give any specific reasons for the delay..

They are bumping edu orders.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Out of the many threads on this topic, I been waiting for someone to say it but it looks like it is up to me. APPLE LIED!!

That they bumped edu orders up is now undeniable. They are admitting as much. By doing so, they have utterly defeated the purpose of pre-ordering. The truly sleazy part is that they came out just a few days ago and announced that everything was on schedule when it was clearly not. This is not about foreseeing the future. This is about telling the truth. They made the now shipping the key feature of their front page and announced that all orders were shipping on time to purposely deceive the customers who were waiting. They didn't want to admit that they had bumped orders so they covered it up with a huge deception campaign. They did not admit the truth until the last minute. They should have been honest sooner. Instead of sending people to the media to lie about shipping that they knew was not taking place, they should have warned of the delays. This is why people are upset. I can't believe that there are still so many people who are defending Apple's behavior in this matter and pretending that this was just some unforeseen consequence of pre-order. In case you still don't get it, Apple lied to cover up bad behavior, it is as simple as that. They probably also were trying to keep people from canceling all those pre-orders. Some of you people are targeting the victims of these lies as opposed to the perpetrators. The "Apple can do no wrong" crowd seems to really be out in force.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Out of the many threads on this topic, I been waiting for someone to say it but it looks like it is up to me. APPLE LIED!!

That they bumped edu orders up is now undeniable. They are admitting as much. By doing so, they have utterly defeated the purpose of pre-ordering. The truly sleazy part is that they came out just a few days ago and announced that everything was on schedule when it was clearly not. This is not about foreseeing the future. This is about telling the truth. They made the now shipping the key feature of their front page and announced that all orders were shipping on time to purposely deceive the customers who were waiting. They didn't want to admit that they had bumped orders so they covered it up with a huge deception campaign. They did not admit the truth until the last minute. They should have been honest sooner. Instead of sending people to the media to lie about shipping that they knew was not taking place, they should have warned of the delays. This is why people are upset. I can't believe that there are still so many people who are defending Apple's behavior in this matter and pretending that this was just some unforeseen consequence of pre-order. In case you still don't get it, Apple lied to cover up bad behavior, it is as simple as that. They probably also were trying to keep people from canceling all those pre-orders. Some of you people are targeting the victims of these lies as opposed to the perpetrators. The "Apple can do no wrong" crowd seems to really be out in force.

I agree!

Apple is not able to produce what they announced and they put themselves in a hole so they screw customers to clean up their own mess and cover thier butts by pushing educational orders out first.

Reprehensible!
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

...and i am pretty sure they have those [G4s] just lying around (propping open doors, drying hands in the company restrooms, etc.).

• Reply 14 of 30
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    While everyone is having a rant I will add one of my own.

Not only do we have to wait 3-4 months for our machines (all 5 of them) we pay FULL price for this stuff, while the educational institutions get them for half price.

Dobby.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Let's think about it honestly.

You have order from customers who are for the most part already Mac users who will be pissed but will wait because they don't want to be anti-switchers.

You have schools who could go the other way if they want. It helps Apple to increase their Education presence because people will use what schools use and the school using them alone gives money.

You are secondary because you will wait.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Let's think about it honestly.

You have order from customers who are for the most part already Mac users who will be pissed but will wait because they don't want to be anti-switchers.

You have schools who could go the other way if they want. It helps Apple to increase their Education presence because people will use what schools use and the school using them alone gives money.

You are secondary because you will wait.

That doesn't make it right!

That's one of the big problems with the world today, businesses don't care about being just or doing what is right, they only care about profits and how to make more money. AKA the decision by apple to bump early buyers.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Capitalism...the way it works.

Apple should sell pre-orders with a stack instead of a que...that way people will wait to order till they come out and even wait a little more so they aren't at the bottom.

Problem is they won't be afraid to 'pop' you
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by revs

Yup, I think I watched one Star Trek, and learnt a good lesson from Scotty, always say somethings going to take a lot longer then it really will, then people think you are amazing when you do it earlier!

Apple should have said that G5's would be out in October, then people would be pleasantly surprised to get them in september

revs

"Scotty, I need full power!"

"She'll take about two hours to get there, Captain!"

"You have five minutes."

(Five Minutes Later)

"Tada!"

"Scotty, I don't know how you do it. I wish Apple could bend time like you."
  • Reply 19 of 30
    My friend once bought a new Dell that was suppost to be in stock already from the Dell website and he finally got it 6 months later... of course dell said it was suppost to ship a week later... not 6 months
  • Reply 20 of 30
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

While everyone is having a rant I will add one of my own.

Not only do we have to wait 3-4 months for our machines (all 5 of them) we pay FULL price for this stuff, while the educational institutions get them for half price.

Dobby.

um, which educational discounts are you looking at? apple's discounts usually range from 5-15% tops.

and by the way, does anyone notice that to order from the educational apple store, you only have to agree that you are a student, faculty or staff member at the school you claim to attend? seriously. that's it. you don't even have to fax a copy of your academic i.d. or anything. we just clicked on "i agree." luckily, my wife is a professor, so i can feel like i am not totally breaking the rules, but for others, well...