dual G5, no payments, no interest until March 2005!

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(edit: god, that subject line really reads like a spam email, huh?)

just posted today on dealmac.com

(******************************)

Buy a Mac, no payment or interest until Mar 2005

A reader notes that CompUSA stores offer no payment, no interest financing on all Apple systems (even G5 preorders) costing $999 or more through March of 2005.

Warning: If it's not paid off by March 2005, finance charges are assessed all the way back to the purchase date, with a current rate of 18.9%; if you miss a payment, interest starts immediately at a higher rate, currently 22.9%. Financing is arranged through the CompUSA credit card.

Update: This offer only applies to purchases made at a CompUSA retail store; it's not available online.

That is a YEAR AND A HALF AWAY. NO INTEREST. NO PAYMENTS. Just make sure you can pay it off by March '05, 'cause otherwise the interest is killer. but i bet you could transfer the balance to another credit card for a promotional rate when the time comes and laugh all the way to the bank.

just thought there would be at least a few people on these boards interested in such a deal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

(edit: god, that subject line really reads like a spam email, huh?)

just posted today on dealmac.com

Buy a Mac, no payment or interest until Mar 2005

A reader notes that CompUSA stores offer no payment, no interest financing on all Apple systems (even G5 preorders) costing $999 or more through March of 2005.

Warning: If it's not paid off by March 2005, finance charges are assessed all the way back to the purchase date, with a current rate of 18.9%; if you miss a payment, interest starts immediately at a higher rate, currently 22.9%. Financing is arranged through the CompUSA credit card.

Update: This offer only applies to purchases made at a CompUSA retail store; it's not available online.

That is a YEAR AND A HALF AWAY. NO INTEREST. NO PAYMENTS. Just make sure you can pay it off by March '05, 'cause otherwise the interest is killer. but i bet you could transfer the balance to another credit card for a promotional rate when the time comes and laugh all the way to the bank.

just thought there would be at least a few people on these boards interested in such a deal.

Man that would be a GREAT commercail!

Think about it.... advertising... something apple has no clue how to do.

I think that if they put that on TV there sales would come up alot.

You know the apple loan. I havn't heard about this one from comp USA though.... just from apple itself.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That's pretty cool, I guess. I mean, if you plan to have it paid off quickly anyway (and, for whatever reason, you don't have a credit card (or enough room left on the one you have), this is an acceptable substitute).

I'd do something like this because I'll have the money in just another two month's time to buy a completely tricked-out 17" PowerBook (IF I wanted to), but I could get it now and simply pay it off by Thanksgiving.

No harm, no damage, everyone's happy (get a computer right away, Apple makes a sale, you pay for it within 2-3 months, etc.).

Is there a dark, evil side to this that I'm not aware of? Anything?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

seems like your situation was made for an offer like this. and you don't have to use the compusa card ever again, either. you just have to be sure to actually pay it all off before that due date (which it sounds like you can). and you get to start using the hardware right away...

...except, of course, they might update the powerbooks in two weeks time, so you might want to wait until after apple expo paris. but what's two more weeks???

• Reply 4 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

Any idea as to how long this deal will be open, rok? Sounds like just what I need to buy that shiny new Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook two weeks from now.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

That's pretty cool, I guess. I mean, if you plan to have it paid off quickly anyway (and, for whatever reason, you don't have a credit card (or enough room left on the one you have), this is an acceptable substitute).

I'd do something like this because I'll have the money in just another two month's time to buy a completely tricked-out 17" PowerBook (IF I wanted to), but I could get it now and simply pay it off by Thanksgiving.

No harm, no damage, everyone's happy (get a computer right away, Apple makes a sale, you pay for it within 2-3 months, etc.).

The evil side is that you have to buy from compusa and pay sales tax. That's quite a bit of money... Aside from that, if you make your payments on time, you'd be ok. But if you don't, watch out! 23% interest is better than some loansharks get.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Any idea as to how long this deal will be open, rok? Sounds like just what I need to buy that shiny new Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook two weeks from now.

Escher

no idea. just copy/pasted it directly from dealmac.com (now a regular hangout for me). i'm not exactly fond of giving compusa my money, but apple is charging sales tax anyway on purchases, so there's not much difference there.

and yeah, the only way this deal makes sense is to make sure that it's paid off in time, or else that interest is insane. good for lots of people who are close to purchasing, but need a few weeks or months to get the last little bit of cash necessary.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Apple also won't be shipping the computer till March '05