DSL "High Speed"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got DSL in my new house... oh, ya, I moved if anyone cares... anyway my DSL is sssslllooowwww compared to my old cable internet. No more 650k+ (350k avg.) downloads for me... sigh...

What is your take on DSL?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Well living in england dsl is a def plus. On average most sites will cap yer downloads to a 50-60kbs limit to preserve their bandwidth so me 512k upload and 252k download is plenty.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    You have a higher upload than download?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

You have a higher upload than download?

Cable's upload is capped but DSL is not upload capped.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    LOL sorry tired over here, got that the wrong way round sorry !!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well here in the US which sucks in Broadband versus Canada btw, we don't see much of a difference between the two. I would love to have 350Kbps downloads but forget that with Comcrash.

I'm eventually going to eyeball DSL at around 1.5/768. I want the fast upload. I've noticed the difference with uploads and it's nice.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    With my DSL, my download speed is consistently 1 MB/s
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dale Sorel

With my DSL, my download speed is consistently 1 MB/s

How are you guys testing this?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by alligator

How are you guys testing this?

Ummdownload something and watch how fast it goes
  • Reply 9 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Use the bandwidth testers on DSLReports.com or CNET.com.

It all depends. I had DSL about 5 years ago via PacBell and the service was fantastic. It was 1.5Mbit/128Kbit + a static IP for $49/mo, and later $39/mo. And the best part was how it NEVER went down. Had I not moved out of that apartment, I would have kept my static IP even after they switched to PPPoE. DSL is much more expensive now than it was in '98 when there were dozens of providers in every market.

When I got cable in 2000, it was closer to 5Mbit/128Kbit, but the connection would always go down. It was $49/mo with no ability to switch to static IP. When ATTBI took over, they capped the downloads at 1.5Mbit/s. When Comcast bought ATTBI, they did increase the upload speed to 256Kbit, but they also raised the price by about 50%.

So I currently pay ~$70/mo for a relatively unreliable 1.5Mbit/256Kbit connection. I'd gladly go with DSL if I lived close enough to a CO.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    resres Posts: 711member
    I generally prefer SDSL; I don't like shared bandwidth you get with cable, and I like high upload speeds.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Use the bandwidth testers on DSLReports.com or CNET.com.

It all depends. I had DSL about 5 years ago via PacBell and the service was fantastic.

I wish the service was still like that. Right now I keep losing my connection frequently and PacBell, being that their support is completely worthless, claims its my fault, but I've tried everything, even reinstalling Mac OS X and it has the exact same problem.

At first my service just kept getting slower and slower and then this started happening. Now I have to reset my modem every few minutes.