How do I network my first Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a PC on a DSL line at home, through a router. How do I connect my new G5 to it when I get home tonight? Can I just plug it into the router, or is there something I need to do to make it work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi,

it depends on the settings of your router.

But I am very confident, that it will work imediatly and you don't need to change any settings.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    three steps:

1. plug cable from g5 to router.

2. when you start up the g5, it will run through a setup process. it will ask you about your network setup.

3. there is no step three.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

three steps:

1. plug cable from g5 to router.

2. when you start up the g5, it will run through a setup process. it will ask you about your network setup.

3. there is no step three.

Oh man, why can't the make Macs easier to use? I can't possibly follow two steps to set up a computer! Maybe my 4 year old son could help me . . .

Now what am I going to do with the other 3 hours I had devoted to figuring this out????
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by alligator

Now what am I going to do with the other 3 hours I had devoted to figuring this out????

Isn't it nice when things just work.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

Isn't it nice when things just work.

Better watch out...Honda may have that copy righted in which case you'll be sued...oh wait that was Fox
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I love that ad.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Wow, unpacked my G5 last night. Plugged in the network cable, and it worked. Bing! First try, no configuration, nothing!

On a related note, you should have seen my wife (who is not too computer literate) when she opened Sherlock for the first time, clicked on the movie listings, found our local theater, saw the show times, and even played the trailer to a movie. All this in under 30 seconds of using the Mac. Unbelieveable.

I, on the other hand, opened iTunes, ordered my first song, found some internet radio stations, and even listed to 128kbs streaming radio over my DSL connection. I cannot express the shock I had at how easy and reliable this was. I was listening to CD quality broadcasts on my computer - something I've NEVER accomplished with my PC. No hiccups, just nice, clear music.

Amazing.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    welcome to the fold.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It's like this with my cable, but when I had DSL I always had to log into a control panel of theirs and register the MAC address of the computer.

My swapping Macs every month made this a huge pain in the ass.

• Reply 10 of 12
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

On a related note, you should have seen my wife (who is not too computer literate) when she opened Sherlock for the first time, clicked on the movie listings, found our local theater, saw the show times, and even played the trailer to a movie. All this in under 30 seconds of using the Mac. Unbelieveable.

Quote:

I, on the other hand, opened iTunes, ordered my first song

It must be extra nice being a Mac user in the USA (or are there other places that Sherlock & the iTunes store work ?) . Enjoy your new Mac!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

It must be extra nice being a Mac user in the USA (or are there other places that Sherlock & the iTunes store work ?) . Enjoy your new Mac!

I hear iTunes is coming in Europe. Just wait.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    alligator, first off: congratulations on your new G5. Second, "welcome to the club".

Your posts above are cool to read because I always enjoy seeing people's reactions to the "Mac way" their first time: the OS, the iApps, the hassle-free nature of it, Sherlock's little movie and Yellow Pages feature, etc.

Very cool. Enjoy!