Comments

• Reply 281 of 556
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Paul

I LIKE YOUR SIGNATURE!

• Reply 282 of 556
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Amorph

[B]No, it comes down to more than two things:

I would add even more. The problems of Motorola are far beyond the chip division which has fallen off top ten chip makers for the first time in history.

Their mobile phone division, which has been the major money maker, is also faltering globally. Take for example here in China, the largest mobile phone market in the world with about 250 million subscribers, their market share has fallen from 30% to 10% in just two years!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 283 of 556
    I don't care what the problem is, I just want a Powerbook. I sold my TiBook under the impression that we would be getting new 15" Powerbooks within weeks. Now I am stuck on an iBook that I can't edit video on and is slow as hell. I know I shouldn't have sold my Ti, but I got a great price for it and was afraid it would lose another percentage of value if I hadn't sold it. I am seriously considering just getting WHATEVER 15" comes out, but I am really going to try to wait until the G5s are put in. Damn it all...
  • Reply 284 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wow, filmmaker...I would never base a purchase OR selling decision on what's "supposed" to happen.

Well, not anymore. Not after this little 4 month episode!

• Reply 285 of 556
    eh, it's all good. It didn't have a warranty on it any more, so I didn't want to have it and have something go wrong that I couldn't fix, so...ultimately it was a good sale. That and I have a Dual Gig MDD to edit and play games with, sometimes I just wish I could do the same on a Powerbook. Soon though...hopefully we'll see something soon and/or a PBG5 at MWSF, or if we are REALLY lucky...Paris...but probably not at this point.
  • Reply 286 of 556
    Apple's biggest riddle for 2003 has finally been solved -- "Year of the Notebook".

It clearly means you could buy any Apple notebook this year and not worry about it becoming obsolete until next year -- or, perhaps, the year after...
  • Reply 287 of 556
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

I don't care what the problem is, I just want a Powerbook. I sold my TiBook under the impression that we would be getting new 15" Powerbooks within weeks. Now I am stuck on an iBook that I can't edit video on and is slow as hell. I know I shouldn't have sold my Ti, but I got a great price for it and was afraid it would lose another percentage of value if I hadn't sold it. I am seriously considering just getting WHATEVER 15" comes out, but I am really going to try to wait until the G5s are put in. Damn it all...

The saying isn't "sell on rumor, buy on news," it's "buy on rumor, sell on news." And it applies to the stock market, not the personal computer market.
  • Reply 288 of 556
    And news just at hand. Apple Australia's ETA for 15PB's have gone from Week2/week3 to week3/week4.

This does not look good people. Or does it? It doesn't exactly sound like anything new WILL come soon. Interesting waiting times ahead boys and girls!

• Reply 289 of 556
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    In business it's considered a "going concern" if what we read about moto about the quality of its chips what company could expect another who uses there product not to repond by looking for alternatives. usually long standing relat ionaships give the other the benefit of the doubt, but what i understand moto has had a meltdown, all apple would have to say is give us competitive product.......no reponse.........poor product.....new relationships.

I too believe that "year of the laptop" was well known to most leaders in the hardware market, more people want these. to not have a parallet plan for a laptop during the g5 developement is nuts. there margin is higher and volumes are higher with laptops as a future not desktops. this moto thing has been bulding for some time, ibm relationship has been building for some time. they must have a stategy to include g5 in laptops, remember steve is working withthe future of apple, not some side show. I think the moto thing should of had a big bump last spring to give apple time for the all new PB's, they had to have these delays because of something, why risk big buck loss just to conjol moto, I think this is good news for us in that some sort of g5 will come to laptops soon. to gather on the momemtum of the g5 powermac. geez wouldn'[t you like to have a laptop cousin of the fastest desktop in the world, omg, when that 5th fastest g5 based supercomputer comes out, can you imagine the sales pitch for the g5 PB?????? That PR it would be priceless. Talk about Buzz. apple sells 7 percent of the laptops, as far as market share they do better than desktops, now thats year of the laptop stuff, appple just increased it's market share on a high margin product, good grief they had to know this as well, more pressure for putting a g5 PB in our cases. that's why i think we'll see a g5
  • Reply 290 of 556
    Well, I keep reading that everyone is out of stock on the 15" PB's. I ordered a new Ti last week, and the ship date still says on or before 9/5/2003. That would be tomorrow, and I can't wait! It's even a custom version. I dropped out the superdrive and just went with a combo on the 1ghz one. So, if it actually ships and comes in quickly, wouldn't that suggest that apple is still mass producing these things? Just wondering... this is my first mac, and I don't know the mind of Apple... yet.

ME
  • Reply 291 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by pc-to-mac

Well, I keep reading that everyone is out of stock on the 15" PB's. I ordered a new Ti last week, and the ship date still says on or before 9/5/2003. That would be tomorrow, and I can't wait! It's even a custom version. I dropped out the superdrive and just went with a combo on the 1ghz one. So, if it actually ships and comes in quickly, wouldn't that suggest that apple is still mass producing these things? Just wondering... this is my first mac, and I don't know the mind of Apple... yet.

ME

Congrats on your first mac. You lucky ducky I ordered mine last week too and my ship date says 9/8/03. I got the same config as you. Did you get the 1 gig of ram too?
  • Reply 292 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

Congrats on your first mac. You lucky ducky I ordered mine last week too and my ship date says 9/8/03. I got the same config as you. Did you get the 1 gig of ram too?

Nah, just 512 so I can upgrade it for less money from crucial or something. They want a lot for RAM these days from Apple!

ME
  • Reply 293 of 556
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Last night I did my weekly "dry order a PB and check shipping times" thing, and I noticed something odd (at least to me): Shipping times for BTO PBs were shorter than for "stock" PBs: 5-7 days for an unmodified 1GHz SD 'book, and 3-5 days for a modified (added RAM, etc) SD 'book. First time I noticed that happening.

iMacs are now at 5-7 or 3-5 from "shipping immediately" yesterday.
  • Reply 294 of 556
    My pbook that said it was going to ship tomorrow... JUST SHIPPED! HELL YEAH!

ME
  • Reply 295 of 556
    I've been using my new TiBook (1Ghz/DVDburner) for just about a month now and I couldn't be happier. I just recently switched from the PC world.

My question is, will the forthcoming 15" PB significantly make one more productive due to the better features especially when one uses the iLife and Office suite programs?

Just wondering.
  • Reply 296 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by pc-to-mac

My pbook that said it was going to ship tomorrow... JUST SHIPPED! HELL YEAH!

ME

Get this, where are they shipping my pbook from?!

Sep 4, 2003 10:37 pm

Arrived at FedEx Ramp

TA YUAN HSIANG TW

4:08 pm

Left FedEx Origin Location

TAOYUAN CITY TW

3:44 pm

Pickup status

TAOYUAN CITY TW

Package received after FedEx cutoff time

And I'm supposed to have 2nd day delivery, and it says expected ship date of the 9th. arrrggghh...

ME
  • Reply 297 of 556
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    PC-to-mac: They are shipping directly from the plant. Although many people have commented lately that this indicates the channel is especially dry, all my Apple Store powerbooks (3 in the past 10 years) have been shipped direct from Taiwan.

I don't think that "after-hours" note means it is going to be late, however. My Pismo arrived a day earlier than the scheduled date. That and the international date line thing caused it's early arrival to be a pleasant suprise.
  • Reply 298 of 556
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the Helix

I've been using my new TiBook (1Ghz/DVDburner) for just about a month now and I couldn't be happier. I just recently switched from the PC world.

My question is, will the forthcoming 15" PB significantly make one more productive due to the better features especially when one uses the iLife and Office suite programs?

No, not likely. The minor improvements expected will be just that...minor. You've got a heck of a nice machine.
  • Reply 299 of 556
    I have been waiting for the 12" PB revision for a little over a month now (I was so sure Aug 19 would be it! ). Yesterday I started worrying that even if they were announced in Paris, the updates wouldn't ship for a while, and I kinda need it by the end of the month. Also, I would rather not get hit by the price going back up (unless if it was worth it - ie bigger HD, AE or SD standard). So I gave in and ordered the SD/60GB BTO version. My shipping date currently stands at Sept 18 or before...

Of course, I woke up this morning thinking I've done the entirely wrong thing and I should cancel while I can and wait for the 16th.

So now for the questions:

Does Apple usually ship on the given date or before it?

For how long am I able to cancel the order? Up to the time it ships?

What are the chances a revB 12" would ship immediately or close to it (I think it usually takes a bit longer for product to ship to Australia too...)?

and lastly: Is there any chance my current order would magically become a rev B if it hasn't shipped by the 16th?

Thanks,

cazlar
  • Reply 300 of 556
    I just checked and my powerbook just shipped too from :

TAOYUAN CITY TW_

Just like You. PC-to-Mac

Did apple move its headquarters??!?!?