Starcraft - OS X - No Classic - How?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is it possible to install the Starcraft update if I don't have Classic installed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I do remember reading that Blizard released an installer you can download that will allow you to install without Classic. I don't have the link handy, though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I believe this Blizzard Support page has the alternate Installer file. Hope to see you on Battle.net soon!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    On second read, this is probably not what you're looking for because it only allows the installation of Starcraft within Classic (the installer didn't even function in Classic until this patch). I can't find any info about an OS X installer on Blizzard's site though.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i was tempted to start a thread related to this subject, but maybe i can piggyback on this one:

if someone had some games that have been updated for os x compatibility, but the only own the classic installers, what do they do if they get a computer that will not boot into os 9 at all?

my guess is that if you have some machine -- ANY machine -- that'll boot into os 9, install it there and then copy the files from one computer to another, but how would that work with copy protection?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    In order to install Starcraft on my PowerBook 12" (no OS 9 directory) before I found the stupid install patch, I booted 9 on my PowerMac and installed to my PB over a LAN. It took a little trouble but it got the job done. But here's the real issue: all my original software (Office, PS, Illustrator, etc.) are from '98/'99 before X. All my disks since then are upgrade disks that search for an original copy before installing. When Apple removes Classic and I buy a new computer, how will I load this software without buying completely new versions? This is why I adamently favor keeping Classic onboard for as long as possible.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Make a disc-image of the CD, mount it, lose the CD, play