Is cottaging a caucasian thing?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A friend (who happens to be asian) recently pointed out to me that when he went up north to a buddy's cottage last week, the majority of cottagers were white.

My black friend also pointed this out to me on more than one occasion.

Is this the case around the U.S. and Canada? Is there a reason for the lack of interest in cottaging among certain races?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    That's like saying "what's up with all these white people being into Nascar?"

"What's up with all those asian people being into Pool?"

Part culture, part income, part geography... who cares.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Having met a fair share of Armenians, Georgians, Ossetes, Azeris, Abkhazes, and other people from the Caucasus, my main impression is: not quite.

I do think that bullfighting is quite an Iberian thing, but don't take my word for it.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    It's pretty much a "get the hell outta the sweltering city and relax for the weekend" kinda thing.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

It's pretty much a "get the hell outta the sweltering city and relax for the weekend" kinda thing.

Ahh, but as Dusty Baker would say, black people have genetically adapted the ability to better deal with the heat so they do not have the same desire to get the hell out of the sweltering city and relax for the weekend because the sweltering city itself is somewhat innately relaxing.

this is what you call a joke you oversensitive pricks. just preemptively dealing with any of you that would turn this into something it isn't.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Does it have something to Oscar Wilde? hehe
  • Reply 6 of 28
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

" I do think that bullfighting is quite an Iberian thing, but don't take my word for it.

Yes I do believe we can lay that one down at the feet of the ancient Minoans...
  • Reply 7 of 28
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I think I totally misinterpreted what I thought this thread was going to be about (thank God). So I don't have any input. Other than to say the word 'cottaging' means something very different in the UK.

Take my advice and never use the phrase if you visit there (unless you like big surprises) !

As a simple Canadian cottager, I am not sure that I understand.

Would you say "'Cottage' with me, baby" in England and expect a slap?

All of this does bring to mind days at the cottage with my wife. Mmmm. Of course now we have three kids (and the cottage is quite small). This makes matters a bit more of a challange....
  • Reply 8 of 28
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    For us clueless west coast caucasians, what the hell is cottaging?

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Cottages are little houses on lakes that white people go to to escape the ethnic diversity of big cities.

In all honestly, I have never known of a visible minority owning a cottage on my lake. There are a lot of asian people that rent cottages or stay in resorts. As there are tonnes of americans that do the same. Perhaps it is just tonnes of asian-americans. Who knows. What I do know is that they try to fish the lake clean. They'll literally take home garbage bags full of sunfish. What the hell do you do with that many sunfish!?!

It's madness.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Cottages are little houses on lakes that white people go to to escape the ethnic diversity of big cities.

That's a rather racist attitude.

Living in Chicago and talking to many (what's the most current politically correct term?) people of color I can assure you that like many in Chicago people of color go to the Wisconsin Dells and like many in Chicago they are just as bored with it as the (okay now what's the other most current politically correct term?) hateful imperialistic white devil.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

That's a rather racist attitude.

Living in Chicago and talking to many (what's the most current politically correct term?) people of color I can assure you that like many in Chicago people of color go to the Wisconsin Dells and like many in Chicago they are just as bored with it as the (okay now what's the other most current politically correct term?) hateful imperialistic white devil.

Did you really take the first line of my post seriously? If it isn't clear that it was a joke I'd be more than happy to edit in a bevy of smilies to make it clear.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

A friend (who happens to be asian) recently pointed out to me that when he went up north to a buddy's cottage last week, the majority of cottagers were white.

My black friend also pointed this out to me on more than one occasion.

Is this the case around the U.S. and Canada? Is there a reason for the lack of interest in cottaging among certain races?

Just another gleaming example of "if white people do it in mass than it must be evil and therefore must be conquered." Sorry had to say it. Sometime my Republican upbringing comes out of me.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    white ppl in italy want to have a summer apartment (condo) less than 3 minutes from sea (when they live like 21 minutes from sea normally).

white ppl in finalnd want to have a summer cottage in the middle of nothing, close to a small lake where they can feed angry mosquitos and drink for all their summer holiday.

so far, luckily, i haven't figured out (many) people have either of similar tendencies in us.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

They'll literally take home garbage bags full of sunfish. What the hell do you do with that many sunfish!?!

It's madness.

Well, sunfish is not the most meatiest of species, so if you want to eat them, you have to get lots of em to make a decent meal.

8)
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

In all honestly, I have never known of a visible minority owning a cottage on my lake. There are a lot of asian people that rent cottages or stay in resorts. As there are tonnes of americans that do the same. Perhaps it is just tonnes of asian-americans. Who knows. What I do know is that they try to fish the lake clean. They'll literally take home garbage bags full of sunfish. What the hell do you do with that many sunfish!?!

It's madness.

So do they typically own the little houses or do they rent them? That might explain a bit of it.

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 28
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

So do they typically own the little houses or do they rent them? That might explain a bit of it.

Nick

I've seen both equally. On the south eastern coast of lake michgan are a ton of houses. Typically, people buy them and rent them out when they aren't using them. But people also seem to swap around a bit, as well. My folks owned a house there, but sometimes rented for the weekend when they haven't owned one in the area. One section of my extended family rents a very large house for a week every summer, and I usually stop by for a day. It's a good situation for kids.

The nice thing about that area is that it's close enough to just go for the day or weekend, but far enough away it's like the city doesn't exist.

It's really just what we in america call a 'vacation.' Sure some of you folks don't have it like the europeans, and maybe that's why the weekend getaway is so popular.

Now, however, my folks have sort of the opposite thing going on. They have a house in the sicks in wisconsin that they call their real home, but a condo here in chicago where they spend the weekdays while they are working.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Because I love redundancy so much, I'll second what giant said.

The majority of cottagers own and rent out their place for a few weeks every summer, mainly to recoup the cost of owning a second property. Generally, you can get $2000-5000 a week in my area. Renting out for a week or two will cover property tax and upkeep for the year.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I've seen both equally. On the south eastern coast of lake michgan are a ton of houses. Typically, people buy them and rent them out when they aren't using them. But people also seem to swap around a bit, as well. My folks owned a house there, but sometimes rented for the weekend when they haven't owned one in the area. One section of my extended family rents a very large house for a week every summer, and I usually stop by for a day. It's a good situation for kids.

The nice thing about that area is that it's close enough to just go for the day or weekend, but far enough away it's like the city doesn't exist.

It's really just what we in america call a 'vacation.' Sure some of you folks don't have it like the europeans, and maybe that's why the weekend getaway is so popular.

Now, however, my folks have sort of the opposite thing going on. They have a house in the sicks in wisconsin that they call their real home, but a condo here in chicago where they spend the weekdays while they are working.

Ah, okay. I get it now. In California, most lakes are artificial so the land around them is owned by the state. Likewise the beaches are either state owned or prohibitively expensive.

So to make a lake run here requires camping equipment and so most folks use RV's or trailers. Another popular option is a toybox for camping.

A lot of folks run up to the Colorado River for their weekend getaways. It is possible to own a house on the river but not really. Most of them are mobile home parks next to the river and you just take your toys down to the water.(boats, seadoos, etc.

Nick
  • Reply 19 of 28
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I think I totally misinterpreted what I thought this thread was going to be about (thank God). So I don't have any input. Other than to say the word 'cottaging' means something very different in the UK.

lol at segovius, I thought exactly the same thing
  • Reply 20 of 28
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lix

lol at segovius, I thought exactly the same thing

I think everyone did. I've never heard it used as a verb any other way.

The word cottage itself is kind of fruity, anyway, so I suggest ditching it in favor of something more traditional like cabin or weekend home. Just don't go trying to turn those into verbs as well.