"One of the most stunning pieces of news management ever conceived"?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So The Blue Meanie notes that that paragon of all-American-ness, Pvt Jessica Lynch, has signed a $1 million dollar book deal.

Not altogether surprising, but what about the fairly in-your-face BBC expose of this story back in May, which suggested some fairly creative perception management had taken place? Will that get a mention in the ghost-written tome? Quite possibly not.

As Robert Scheer notes here, other news organisations, including the Chicago Tribune, have since confirmed the original BBC story, despite an "hysterical belch of outrage" from the Pentagon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It's going to be a hell of a read as she's supposed to have no memory of the "events". I saw the BBC doc, good journalism, bad Pentagon.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    All I know is that you only have 6 threads on the front page. Please start about a dozen more, please. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

All I know is that you only have 6 threads on the front page. Please start about a dozen more, please. Thanks.

I store them up and then I let'em out all at once There isn't always an existing thread to tack my hot stuff onto, but I take your point
  • Reply 4 of 7
    i think was discussed a few months ago
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i think was discussed a few months ago

Maybe, but that was then, and this is now!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Yet another powerful exposé announced this year I see. Pretty sad, but I believe the main points if not all the quoted material. Winning wars abroad is about bullets and tanks. Winning wars at home is about Public Relations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the order to storm the empty hospital with the special forces guys shooting blanks was an order that came from Washington, not the battlefield. These guys will do anything they can to paint their war as just and heroic... this woman is just a little pawn in their game.

That she's going to get a million bucks for her story doesn't bother me. At least Rumsfeld and Cheney aren't getting it.