DVD burner upgrade for slot-loading-iMacs ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a slot loading DVD burner available that will fit a slot loading iMac?

I have a straight DVD/CD drive with no burning facility, and I would love to prolong the life of the machine. I think Panther is going to make quite a difference and an HD upgrade is the easy bit, but I cannot find either a combo drive or a DVD burner, do they exist?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Apple does ship TiBooks with slot loading superdrives, but i don't know where you can buy slot loading superdrives on their own. Also if you are planning on doing any DVD encoding it will be painfully slow on a g3. Why not pick up a fast firewire CD burner? It will allow you to make copies from disk to disk and will be faster than any superdrive.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

TADA!!!!

http://www.mcetech.com/dvdrwimacsl.html

W00T, $449 ahem, does any one buy these, I note that the don't have any in stock.

having read this artical I had high hopes of a reasonable upgrade for sentimental reasons.

• Reply 4 of 6
    Of course that's for SLOT-loading DVD burners, which for some reason are far more expensive than tray loaders. Your best bet is to buy an external firewire DVD burner for around 200-250 bucks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    but is it compatable with iDVD or do you need to get toast 6?

I thought of doing this but the price is high, i will get my wife a pb for christmas that will answer the burn dvd thing, for that it doesn't really extend my iMac's life, since making dvd's on the 400 will be slow, i will upgrade my hd and make video cd's with toast 5 not as good as idvd but putting more $$$$ in the dv doen'st make much sense to me, i'll save the 600 for my imac or pb upgrade. shoot you can spend a bit more and get a new emac and it's a 4x superdrive!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well if I could get one for $160 it would extend the life a lot. I want to pass this machine on to my kids with an intergral burner, it doesn't have one.

Panther will deal with most of the preformance shortcommings. It is fine for iMovie editing but encoding a film is an overnight job, not that it matters i don't need to use the machine at night.