Virtual Jaguar (Not the OS)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It seems that someone is diligently working on Atari Jaguar emulator for OS X.

http://sdlemu.ngemu.com./

There is no GUI at the moment. I think you have to compile it yourself or something. Drat. I thought I had it running but I obviously have no clue what I'm doing. Drat.

I hope this thing turns out well. I wasted a lot of money on a Jag when I was a kid and would love to play those awful games again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Do you have to have the developer tools installed to compile something? The guy writing the mac port is working on the GUI but won't release it until he feels it is sufficiently up to Apple's standards. But I fear that I don't have the patience for this.

How easy is it to compile something if you're a complete non-techy?

I'm dying to play Alien VS Predator again. Yippee.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    You can probably compile it through the terminal. Open your terminal and use the CD command to get to the directory where the source files are.

example:

cd /your user directory/downloads/vj/

From there you can use the gcc command to compile it. You might need some flags to compile it a certain way but this might work:

gcc vj virtualjaguar

If that compiles correctly you'll have an executable created called virtualjaguar. I didn't download it or read the documentation so all of this is off the top of my head.

If I get some time this weekend I'll try to compile it myself. good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Download the Jag BIOS and put it in the BIOS dir (google for it). Then, make sure your roms aren't gzipped, they need to be uncompressed in this release. Then just use the command line:

./vj avp.jag
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by vitaflo

Download the Jag BIOS and put it in the BIOS dir (google for it). Then, make sure your roms aren't gzipped, they need to be uncompressed in this release. Then just use the command line:

./vj avp.jag

I just looked at the download from the site and I didn't realize the file was already compiled. Woops!

Looks like you don't have to compile at all InactionMan. Just do what vitaflo already said. Sorry!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Much thanks! I'm lost without a pretty GUI that screams "click here jackass!"

*runs off the re-live misspent youth*
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Well, I think it loaded but all I got was a green screen. Console said this:

VJ: Loading ./bios/jagboot.rom...Failed!

cd_bios: reset

--> GPU stats were reset!

\t68K PC=000000 SP=00000000

VJ: Loading /Users/inactionman/Documents/Atari/virtualjaguar-1.0.5-macosx-bin/alien vs predator (1994).jag...OK (4194304 bytes)

CRC: DC187F82

eeprom: creating /Users/inactionman/./eeproms/DC187F82.eep

EEPROM: Could not open/create /Users/inactionman/./eeproms/DC187F82.eep

cd_bios: reset

--> GPU stats were reset!

\t68K PC=000000 SP=00000000

I assume this means that the boot rom I have is cruddy. Or is something else happening?