G5 Cube

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    hirhir Posts: 66member
    I have to say right off the bat that I am not trying to start a pc vs. mac debate. I am linking to this product's page and pic because I have been looking for a G4 cube-like product as a 2nd computer. I passed by this in CompUSA on my way to ogle the G5 and I had to stop dead in my tracks. Does this remind anyone of an apple product? It even has a handle!

The specs are decent. I can have a functioning pc for games and tinkering with for about $600. I already have a spare graphics card, HD, and CD-RW to throw in it. Anyone out there ever build a PC and is willing to give me any pointers? Should I resist temptation and wait for the G5 cube?!?

Tiger Direct product page ...
  • Reply 42 of 100
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That doesn't look anything like an Apple product, but I can certainly see its appeal, especially for LAN parties.

That window on the side is sadly anticlimactic. It makes the machine look like a toaster oven.

On to other things: someone upthread has aroused my ire by suggesting that the Cube is not a professional machine. Wrong, wrong, wrong. There are plenty of Apple professionals who could use a small, quiet, modestly upgradable workstation that allows a choice of one (or two) monitors - heck, the offices of MacWorld UK are full of eMacs. Especially in an office environment, where servers, SANs and Gigabit Ethernet are almost required now, they would do very well. The main thing Apple has to do is not charge more for less, and they'll sell them in quantity.

I understand that there's some prosumer and consumer appeal as well, and if the Cube's priced right it could address those camps as well. But a G5 Cube, even basically unaltered (except for the obvious hardware upgrades) from the original version, would be a great piece of pro hardware. Those pros who need all-out power or expandability could pony up for the PowerMac.
  • Reply 43 of 100
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hir

Power Mac G5 Rectangle?
  • Reply 44 of 100
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Power Mac G5 Rectangle?

Wouldn't that be Power Mac G5 Box?
  • Reply 45 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Any chances of this happening? I have a G4 cube, but it's getting up in its years. I want a G5, but love the cube. There is some mention of it at cubeowner.com, but thats all I've heard of it.

Here's the prettiest set-up I've seen so far!

http://digitalstudios.geneva-link.co.../film-enya.mov
  • Reply 46 of 100
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rjwill246

Here's the prettiest set-up I've seen so far!

http://digitalstudios.geneva-link.co.../film-enya.mov

What a beast.
  • Reply 47 of 100
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That's cool.
  • Reply 48 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

That's cool.

Yeah it is. Wow. I would buy it. Except a screen like that would probabily set me back more than I make in a year. Very cool.

By the way...did anyone else who watched the movie notice that as it is panning over the keyboard, the Z and Y keys have switched places? Everything else seems to be in order, except for those two.
  • Reply 49 of 100
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I want a cube G5 in my color classic...

" To dream the impossible dream....la la la..."
  • Reply 50 of 100
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    All those cool technologies would cost a bundle though. I bet a very, very adept tinkerer could somehow adapt an XServe's hot-swap drive bays to fit in a slide-out compartment from a custom-made case. But they'd have to be a master of both mechanical and electrical engineering, and they'd have to be loaded. As far as the screen, I don't know if it's even possible with today's technology.
  • Reply 51 of 100
    sllsslls Posts: 13member
    Here is a little something I found on the web that may be of some interest to this thread.

• Reply 52 of 100
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    And this...

If all we had to do was "Photoshop" our design...to make it come true..sigh..
  • Reply 53 of 100
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

CONFIRMED by Moki, Apple will sell a G5 cube made from a single piece of machined aluminum!

heh. That might be kind of cool, but somehow I doubt Jobs will return to the Cube form, given the success of the initial cube. He'll want to, though.

Quote:

So Moki, you've been really quiet lately... you can't be that busy. no time for sharing on the AI boards anymore?

Just a bit busy. Plus we're waiting for our dual 2ghz G5s to arrive here.
  • Reply 54 of 100
    As a avid fan of the G4 Cube (I'd sell me iBook and buy one second hand if only it had a combo drive), I read all of these cube threads with interest, so here's my thoughts.

Monday 8th September - Apple releases new iMac updates across the whole range AND two new iPods (20Gb and 40Gb). Don't know about you, but to me, these are pretty darned big updates to bring out a week before a major expo. The only explanation (and I'm sure everyone will agree with this) is that there is a big announcement in Paris next week.

Sure, it could just be a big talk about OSX 10.3, but my money is on one of the following - PowerBook updates, iBook update, or maybe, just maybe, a G5 Cube. Fingers, toes, and everything flexible crossed... \
  • Reply 55 of 100
    ... Oh yeah, I forgot, and we are overdue some new screens which better match the G5. Maybe these will pop up alongside and new G5 Cube. Ah, that would be bliss....
  • Reply 56 of 100
    another thought from "old europe":

what will steve present in paris?

new ipods is out, 15"pb? maybe, panther ready to order?

why not "an old computer for the old world"?

an updated G4 (spoken: four) Cube as THE digital hub for the rest of the world (spoken: US)..........

read my lips: a G5 in a Cube? NEVEREVER!!

---------------------

btw:

is the keynote in paris qt streamed? if not, forget any new products........
  • Reply 57 of 100
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    From Soldam in Japan. Being available for ~6 months? Comes in all-aluminum, silver, white, or black.

http://www.soldam.com/barebone/polo_r_figaro/fav/

• Reply 58 of 100
    Now that is spiffy, and more in line with Apple's style. It should just be fully level. And it would totally rock as a real cube.
  • Reply 59 of 100
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Now that is spiffy, and more in line with Apple's style. It should just be fully level. And it would totally rock as a real cube.

As a real cube? Yes, yes I believe it would rock quite hard, and for 1299, with a single G5 (and AGP slot), I'd buy one.

But it doesn't have to be a "cube" a square would do. Thinner from the front and square from the side profile.
  • Reply 60 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

As a real cube? Yes, yes I believe it would rock quite hard, and for 1299, with a single G5 (and AGP slot), I'd buy one.

But it doesn't have to be a "cube" a square would do. Thinner from the front and square from the side profile.

Perhaps a better way to put it would be, make it more "cubish". Have at least one angle display a square side.