Music for sick people?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone know of anything that's been known to sooth or assist the recovery of unconscious (coma) patients? I need to put it on tape. Not expecting miracles, but I might as well add anything that doesn't hurt.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I can't tell you anything about that, but you might want to see the film TALK TO HER. It's by Almodavar, with an accent somewhere in there. It's about this topic, among other things.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    i would think music they enjoyed in their everyday life would be therapeutic.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

I'd say play their favorite music too.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Sounds, smells, people, favourite food, films.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Anyone know of anything that's been known to sooth or assist the recovery of unconscious (coma) patients? I need to put it on tape. Not expecting miracles, but I might as well add anything that doesn't hurt.

Sorry to hear of this Matsu... Mozart is a biggy for some reason....also Vivaldi's four seasons.

I know you might laugh at this but try praying as well..I can't hurt any..

Prayer is intentionality with thoughts focussed on the recovery of the person you love...

Best wishes

Aqua.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

My God. That film is about a male nurse raping a comatose patient. Good film despite this theme, but hardly something someone wants to see with a loved one in that situation.

Well, it's not really about that. It's got many themes running about. If that's what you take from it, then fine. But there's more to it that could be helpful in a time like this.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

true!

plusi'd recommened some ambient or dare i say new age
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

....and also avoid anything that features an accordion - good as an general rule but absolutely imperative where health is concerned.

not true not true
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

not true not true

i think this means that a well placed accordian can save your life.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I once heard of a comatose patient whose favorite singer was Tom Petty. They didn't play music for her, but one day as she lay there someone nearby turned on a radio and Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" was playing. She woke to that song with her family and friends nearby. Soon afterwards, while she was still in the hospital for test, Tom heard the story and flew in to visit her.

So there is hope, play her favorite music, something that means something joyous to her. Talk to her and pray. Good luck and God Bless.