Alternatives to powershot A70?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
SO I am buying a camera for my father and ave settled with te Powershot A70. Seems like the best camera in its price category. But of course there could be something I missed...

Anone have any experience with the camera or wants to recommend something else tha costs about the same as the A70?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    For what it's worth, I started a thread about the A60 vs. A70 in General Discussion a few months ago and it seems many people really dig the A70 (insisting I get it over the A60).

And I have two friends who own this model and they've had nothing but great things to say about it (rich color, ease-of-use, OS X/iPhoto compatibility, good optical zoom, small and comfortable to use, great-looking photos, etc.).

Not to mention, the latest issue of Macworld gives the Canon Powershot A70 (along with a model by Pentax and another one by Panasonic) special notice in a sidebar (in a feature article on digital photography) entitled "Our Favorite Digital Cameras"

From the one-paragraph write-up:

Quote:

This 3.2 megapixel camera comes with a full suite of manual contals and an autofocus illuminator for focusing in low light. It also supports conversion lenses and an underwater case.

And they proceed to give it a four-and-a-half mice rating.

In short, no...I have no alternatives.

Get the A70 and be done with it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    There is a similar priced fuji in metal that features a superccd.. cant remember the model number sorry, only snag i saw with it was not having replaceable batteries, not a biggy but maybe a prob one day when you run out of juice and need just a few shots more... but the benchmark for this class of cam is the A70... I love mine Invest in a charger and a good set of rechargeable 1700+mah...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I am a salesman for a large camera retailer in Calgary (Film and Digital).

Also consider the Nikon 3100 and the Olympus stylus 300.

the Nikon just had a $50 CDN price drop, includes rechargeables, and has a two year warranty.

The Olympus is a weather resistant alloy body, very small, and includes a L-ion battery system. It is however about $100 CDN more than the A70.

We definitely have the most traffic in on the A70, but most leave with something else when shown the alternatives.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Here's my advice. I looove my digital camera. All I use it for is to take pictures of my stuff so I can post it online. Usually on eBay. It's the Olympus Brio. Has 16MB of memory, and I paid $69 for it new on eBay. But that's just me.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gorebug

The Olympus is a weather resistant alloy body, very small, and includes a L-ion battery system. It is however about $100 CDN more than the A70.

I'm not a fan of the Olympus cameras. I have the C-3030(I know, old model) and controls are less than good. I have to, when changing the default settings, change them one at a time. By this I mean change a setting, close all the menus, and then change another one.

Also, the mode wheel is very loose. Whenever I want to go to photo mode it slips at goes to A/something/something.

Other than that, it's good. I like the Powershots(Canon) better, though. I plan on getting an S45 soon.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I like the Powershots(Canon) better, though. I plan on getting an S45 soon.

I love Canon cameras. I've had a PowerShot S10 for three years.

I'm getting the Sony V1 in a few weeks.

It's way more camera than I need, but I figure that I'll grow into it.

Edit: Take that scaryscriptthatkeepsmefromstealingyourpics!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

You need to find another image, or download it and host it somewhere else. You can't use images from that server.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I own the a70, it works great, has some cool different shutter speeds for trippy effects, the only thing they say is that you can't download a movie over 16 meg supposedly from the memory card unless you install their specific drivers. But I've done it, so far no problems with it. I took it fourwheeling awhile back, dropped it (it was still in its bag) it rolled for like 150 yards down the side of this mountain (was in phoenix area, crozier rd. anyone? who knows) and took it out worked like a champ. Was a bitch to find tho.

edit* 150 yards seems kind of too far, I guess but it was FAR.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

That is some SLICK image protection ... how did they do that?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That is some SLICK image protection ... how did they do that?

Probably just uses the referrer field of the standard HTTP request. All HTTP requests include a referrer ie, the page the person was last on. The dpreview script probably just looks at that and if the referrer isn't at dpreview.com it serves up the other image.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I've got an A70 with a 256MB flash card and I love it. It takes great pictures (I have it set on Auto most of the time with full resolution and detail). I can also take 32 second videos with this thing at 640x480 resolution that looks pretty decent. Good for capturing your drunk friends doing something briefly funny.