Did MS beat Apple into a new market...MCE anyone?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Believe or not, it seems MS actually came up with something that Apple has no answer to.

Steve Jobs ideas? Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Must be so new that not even Google can tell me what this is. Why don't you take some time trying to explain yourself rather than generate endless "controversial" topics.

Go ahead and flame away about how ignorant some Apple users are for not knowing what "MCE" is. I'm sure that's what you wanted to do in any case.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Skipjack, don't talk to this guy, he's an idiot. I probably shouldn't be posting either but seriously, if everyone just ignores him, he'll eventually get bored and move on.

BALEETED!!!

I wish I had the power to do that...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Skipjack, don't talk to this guy, he's an idiot. I probably shouldn't be posting either but seriously, if everyone just ignores him, he'll eventually get bored and move on.

BALEETED!!!

I wish I had the power to do that...

Only ignorant people who insult people at personal level flame...

MCE = Media Center Pcs

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/

http://www.gateway.com/home/products..._mediapc.shtml

http://h30015.www3.hp.com/mediaPC/index.php
  • Reply 4 of 14
    *cough*

Please do not feed the trolls.

kthxbye

- The Man

(keeping you down since 1973)

This thread is flamebait, posted by a troll, and in the wrong forum no less. For those confused, MCE does NOT stand for Media Center PCs, it stands for 'Media Center Edition' of Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Thanks for the information. I would never have guessed.

But what does this have to do with Apple or Microsoft? Computers have had some or all of these features for years, depending on how much money you want to spend.

I don't see the big deal. People have been trying to integrate computers and entertainment systems forever. It hasn't caught on yet.

This seems like a pretty small market to me. Audiophiles and videophiles are going to want to use specialized, high grade equipment. I don't see a place for one of these Media Centers where I live. Sure, they seem capable, but do you know anyone who would use all the features enough to make it worth while?

But back to your topic, this doesn't look like a new market to me.

Edit: Sorry, LoCash, I started writing before you posted. I thought I'd try to give some benefit of doubt to see if there was a discussion here. Also, Luca, thanks for the advice. I was restrained when reading the other posts because it was possible to make judgements on the material provided, but I had no idea what he/she was getting at in this case.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving this one over to General Discussion.

J 8)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

Edit: Sorry, LoCash, I started writing before you posted. I thought I'd try to give some benefit of doubt to see if there was a discussion here.

The thing is that this could actually be a decent thread if it weren't for the fact that AI's latest troll started it. Check out some of his other lovely masterpieces here in General Discussion.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I know we're not supposed to feed them... but...

I'm working on a 3 year old iBook ... and I frequently have it connected to my home stereo system ... I can watch DVD's, and listen to itunes over a surround sound system with a big-screen TV. I can even use the TV as my computer screen for normal work (but why would I want to) ...

So ... did anyone actually beat anyone else to a new market ????

(Windows machines have been able to do this for years as well)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Thats stupid, I hate that media center thing, its eactly what i expect Microsoft to develop... useless crap.

You cant use that to be productive
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I know we're not supposed to feed them... but...

I'm working on a 3 year old iBook ... and I frequently have it connected to my home stereo system ... I can watch DVD's, and listen to itunes over a surround sound system with a big-screen TV. I can even use the TV as my computer screen for normal work (but why would I want to) ...

So ... did anyone actually beat anyone else to a new market ????

(Windows machines have been able to do this for years as well)

I doubt you can record TV shows or DVD movies on your Ibook from 3 years ago... probably has a low level G3 in it.

Secondly, if it was useless... There wouldn't be an increase of MCE brands starting to pop out.

Toshiba actually ported it on a laptop.

Sony and Dell will release their own version soon.

Even though I wouldn't purchase such a thing... because of the cost. It still a good idea for enthusiats that like this sort of thing. I would have expected apple to release such a thing before MS.

I guess apple is too busy trying to figure out ways to cut costs to their immensely overpriced products.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    This is the next tablet PC.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SS Manic Devlin

<snip>

Even though I wouldn't purchase such a thing... because of the cost.

<snip>

I guess apple is too busy trying to figure out ways to cut costs to their immensely overpriced products.

First off I hate you. (food I know sorry)

With that out of the way...you won't buy stuff because of the price but yet you say Apple's products are overpriced? One way swinging door?

Here is the problem with you. You are cheap. You have no sense of style. The saddest part is that you have few REAL friends. You have no girlfriend and don't/didn't get much attention from your parents. You got/are getting mediocre grades in school or have a dead end job and you crave attention. Why don't you go back to hassling the girls in the SEARS catalogue?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    SS Manic Devlin!!!!! I REMEMBER U NOW!!!!!

u wer that spamming fool on the warcraft forums awhile back....

u wer a troll back then and still are now....

Don't say it isn't true because.... I know that was u... on the warcraft III forums.... because I do... I think....

8)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If people want to continue a normal discussion on this topic, feel free to start another thread. I'm not keeping this piece of crap open.