Panther Server VPN Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Mac OS X-based network of 10 machines that interact with an XServe running Jaguar Server. I was wondering if Panther Server would include a VPN-like feature that would allow it to "tunnel out" of its dyanmic DSL IP address(es) so that I can use Apple Remote Desktop with it and the client machines from a high-speed connection off-site.

I remember reading that Panther Server will include some type of VPN support that would make the independent Cisco or Novell VPN boxes irrelevant.

I hope that I explained that well enough. Does anyone know if I will be able to do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rlorenc

I have a Mac OS X-based network of 10 machines that interact with an XServe running Jaguar Server. I was wondering if Panther Server would include a VPN-like feature that would allow it to "tunnel out" of its dyanmic DSL IP address(es) so that I can use Apple Remote Desktop with it and the client machines from a high-speed connection off-site.

I remember reading that Panther Server will include some type of VPN support that would make the independent Cisco or Novell VPN boxes irrelevant.

I hope that I explained that well enough. Does anyone know if I will be able to do this?

Thanks!

I had the exact same issues pretty much. I settled it by getting my ISP to rent me one single static IP.

This has a bunch of benefits for connecting from home with any future network you may come across.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Short answer is: yes.

Jaguar Server actually supports this now, but only VPN via CHAP, not iPSec. I think www.afp548.com or www.macosxhints.com will tell you how to set it up. It's kind of a "secret feature" that never made it into any official documentation for some reason.

Apple's Panther Server preview page notes that there will indeed be an included VPN server that does IPSec. Very good news!

Quote:

Originally posted by rlorenc

Thanks!

• Reply 3 of 4
    When you setup a VPN you still need to have a static IP for the VPN concentrator/server (whether it be a XServe or a CISCO device) so that you computer from home can connect to the VPN server at work. Dynamic IP at both ends will not work well unless you use something like dyndns, which is only fair for something like this.

Daniel
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I'm using instead of dyndns, mac os x's client of no-ip.org.