The younger generation. Plunge intae debauchery and death.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Being as I am the faither o' twa youthful recreants I cannae help but notice wi' dismay and foreboding the rash expectations and debauched values o' the younger generation.

When I was a wee lad at school in the early 1960s we went tae oor lessons at the village school in torn breeks handed doon for six generations and shoes wi' holes in them. Wi' folded hands and bowed heids we humbly accepted whatever doom each new day might see fit tae bring crashing doon upon us. Withoot murmur or question we accepted the terrible authority wielded by the powers, principalities and oor teachers. When the lessons sterted we got a guid thrashing and for dinner we had burnt tatties and mince. We had tae walk 14 miles there and 14 back and for supper got anither guid thrashing. Compare this wi' the wanton decadence o' present day children wha routinely expect expensive claithes, 'music' by that Charles Manson, and even laptop computers tae dae their homework. My guidness - in my day a' we got for school was a pencil, a six inch ruler and a couple o' rubbers.

Listen tae me you perverse and foolish generation o' youngsters; forsake your evil ways. Firstly dae a' your arithmetic wi' pencil and paper. Secondly listen tae proper tunes by other contemporaries such as Gentleman Jim Reeves, MBE or the Rt Honourable Andrew Williams, esquire. Thirdly don sackcloth and ashes and repent forthwith.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Amen.

()
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

a couple o' rubbers.

I'll take a few.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

Being as I am the faither o' twa youthful recreants I cannae help but notice wi' dismay and foreboding the rash expectations and debauched values o' the younger generation.

When I was a wee lad at school in the early 1960s we went tae oor lessons at the village school in torn breeks handed doon for six generations and shoes wi' holes in them. Wi' folded hands and bowed heids we humbly accepted whatever doom each new day might see fit tae bring crashing doon upon us. Withoot murmur or question we accepted the terrible authority wielded by the powers, principalities and oor teachers. When the lessons sterted we got a guid thrashing and for dinner we had burnt tatties and mince. We had tae walk 14 miles there and 14 back and for supper got anither guid thrashing. Compare this wi' the wanton decadence o' present day children wha routinely expect expensive claithes, 'music' by that Charles Manson, and even laptop computers tae dae their homework. My guidness - in my day a' we got for school was a pencil, a six inch ruler and a couple o' rubbers.

Listen tae me you perverse and foolish generation o' youngsters; forsake your evil ways. Firstly dae a' your arithmetic wi' pencil and paper. Secondly listen tae proper tunes by other contemporaries such as Gentleman Jim Reeves, MBE or the Rt Honourable Andrew Williams, esquire. Thirdly don sackcloth and ashes and repent forthwith.

Yes it's called Modernity. I am the beloved father of two girls and your description seems true, in the same way, my education certainly apperaed decadent compared to the one of my parents. It means that my daughters are decadents girls of a decadent fathers : in a way a sort of nobility ...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh, Sir Mac, don't tell me you never went on a wild rumpus or two when you were a lad! I don't think things have changed much, the technology has just gotten better and we're all getting older. I even catch myself talking about "kids these days," and I'm at the tender age of 19.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Argh...The goode olde Daze....

Olde age muddles our brainz into thinking things were always much nicer etc etc...

completely forgetting we spawned 2 World wars, a couple of depressions, the drug culture & George Bush junior..

My faith is with the younguns...

4ever the optimist
  • Reply 6 of 6
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Like Sir Mac's postings. The topics may come and go, but the humor level remains constant.

Were it not for the fact most Americans - in their infinite literary wisdom - could not properly translate words like "tae", I would recommend that you drop whatever you are doing and write a book or three. For immediate US consumption of course. It would be comedy of the highest order I'm sure!