Will the next 15 inch PB be a 15 inch tablet???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
All this waiting around and numerous threads building up, are we sure that the next 15 incher will be in the form that we are a custom, or will apple surprise us all by the release of a 15 inch tablet???

This will definitely add further depth to there portable range and complete the "Year of the Laptop"

If this comes off, I will introduce Apple to my studio.

Imagine being able to sketch in illustrator whilst on the 7.15am red eye train into waterloo.

Remember this, http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...30135531.shtml

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    It will be a laptop.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Of all of the tablet pcs, the one I am most interesting in is the laptop style, where the screen rotates then folds back down.

Some pdas and phones are also adopting this design.

Its really the best of both worlds; laptop and tablet in one.

• Reply 3 of 11
    Damn Damn Damn!!!!!

I will be stuck in Wintel Hell until they release a tablet.

Ill keep waiting
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No.

And welcome to the boards
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wanabee Mac User

Damn Damn Damn!!!!!

I will be stuck in Wintel Hell until they release a tablet.

Ill keep waiting

Why don't you just get a laptop and a Wacom writing tablet?

Isn't there a hack to make the trackpad work as a a writing pad?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Part of me desperately wants to scream GOD I HOPE NOT, but of all the manufacturers out there Apple would be the one to make the tablet concept workeable. However, unless they have something serious up their sleeve the technology for a tablet just isnt there yet. Handwriting recongition isnt there to make it more efficient than a keyboard. Battery technology really isnt there to make the thing smaller and thinner. Processor tech isnt there to make the thing thinner and lighter and fast like we want. Give it a couple of years and a workeable tablet will appear. Right now it would be nothing more than a bastardized laptop that will sell about as well as other tablet offerings: like crap.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Handwriting recongition isnt there to make it more efficient than a keyboard.

Spoken like someone who's never used a Newton. The MP2000 had a fast enough processor to make recognized handwriting a viable input method, and that was in *1997*. Just because Palm, Sharp, Microsoft and all the other current PDA manufacturers can't figure out how to make it work, doesn't mean it's impossible.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

No.

And welcome to the boards

Can we keep a running count of how many times you've said that recently?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Can we keep a running count of how many times you've said that recently?

I'll start.

edit: I tried searching "welcome" and Luca Rescigno, but search comes up empty.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

Spoken like someone who's never used a Newton. The MP2000 had a fast enough processor to make recognized handwriting a viable input method, and that was in *1997*. Just because Palm, Sharp, Microsoft and all the other current PDA manufacturers can't figure out how to make it work, doesn't mean it's impossible.

Please dont mistake me. I do not think that it is impossible, just that it isnt as efficient as a keyboard; yet. I played with a Newton when they came out. The HW recognition was acceptable but one had to write slow and clear. Someone like me with crappy handwriting had problems. Like I said, unless Apple has something up their sleeve, the technology isnt there to give them more value over a traditional laptop. Given time tablets will be a viable option, just not yet.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by TAZ

... I played with a Newton when they came out. The HW recognition was acceptable but one had to write slow and clear. Someone like me with crappy handwriting had problems. ...

Same here. But he said Newton 2000, which has a 160MHz processor. It makes a HUGE difference. My writing is terrible, so I mainly use Graffiti, but Graffiti on the Newton is much better than Graffiti on a Palm - I get very close to 100% accuracy.

Sure it's still not faster than a keyboard, but you can't use a keyboard while walking in a grocery aisle.

Today's tablets are too big, too bulky, too fragile, far too expensive, and have too short battery life. A 15" tablet would be ridiculous.