Everybody's a comedian . . . .

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have lost all respect for Colin Powell . . . .

Does he actually believe this or is this another in the line of 'say it over and over and it will be true,' or, 'prayer is powerful . . just beoeve' kind of thinking:
Quote:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday defended the Bush administration's policies in Iraq and Afghanistan, saying they have been successful.

from HERE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday defended the Bush administration's policies in Iraq and Afghanistan, saying they have been successful.

Well Bush did ask the opponents in Iraq to bring them on. And they do. Thats succesful politics if I may say so.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Haven't they? Afghanistan's freed from the taliban, the currency is stabilizing and the economy grew 23% last year. Not hard when you start near 0.

Iraq is a work in progress but you can't say that the US wasn't successful in defeating Saddam. We control the country, there is a new government taking form, more and more retrained cops on the street, banks will be making loans soon.

Oh wait. That's right. Let's dig a hole and stick our heads in it so we can continue our anti-Bush/anti-US mind set. Anything that doesn't confirm our preconceived notions is false.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Afghanistan's freed from the taliban....

Most signs point to this not being the case. Taliban in their turbans are freely travelling in Afghanistan again. They've had large meetings of high level officials in Pakistan and Afghanistan. They might not be in control, but neither is the U.S. nor Karzai.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Haven't they? Afghanistan's freed from the taliban, the currency is stabilizing and the economy grew 23% last year. Not hard when you start near 0.

Iraq is a work in progress but you can't say that the US wasn't successful in defeating Saddam. We control the country, there is a new government taking form, more and more retrained cops on the street, banks will be making loans soon.

Oh wait. That's right. Let's dig a hole and stick our heads in it so we can continue our anti-Bush/anti-US mind set. Anything that doesn't confirm our preconceived notions is false.

Hmmm?!?!?

yeah, I could see that in one sense they have succeeded

HAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA . . . . . (except its not funny and I would actually like to be wrong here!!)

The Taliban are getting more courageous (if you can call burning girl's schools courageous) everyday

We are crawling back to the UN and pretending that our anti-UN pro-war stance didn't exist

our young men are getting killed everyday!!!!

bombs

more and more terrorists are popping up every day (despite groverat's assurance that that would not happen)

We were lied to through many sets of teeth and our sense of trust in authority and our own decent govenmental values were dealt yet another blow (much bigger than the Blow given by the infamous staining Blow of the last admin)

Indonesia is letting Al Quada leaders free (sign of the growing global antipathy for US?!?!)

and where are the two 'Mr Bigs" anyway?!?!?

and where is the real re-building of Afghanistan . . . I heard that they kind of fixed up about 1/25th of one part of a highway . . . hmm?!?!

almost two years later and we fixed part of one road?!?

How can we expect continued support from the locals when we so blatantly lack a plan, much less even teh appearance of the attempt to implement one . . . we need to fund local rebuilding in Afghanistan . . . .

other than that (and probably other things if I merely kept typing) I would agree . . . we were 'successful'
  • Reply 5 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    the US installed afghan government has little if any power.

BTW: I finally saw kandahar last night. You guys should check it out if you haven't seen it.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Doom gloom QUAGMIRE. If you repeat it enough times it wont matter to you if it's not true.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Doom gloom QUAGMIRE. If you repeat it enough times it wont matter to you if it's not true.

*plugs ears, closes eyes*

LALALALALALALALALALA! I can't hear you!

Now, instead of trolling, why don't you support your assertations?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The reason the US are groveling to the UN for help is because they know they don't have the resources to do their job on all the fronts they have opened. If they don't get backing from the UN in form of foreign troops they will have to reinstitute the draft. Which would be a bad thing with giant US election machine gearing up.

When this happens, Canada will gladly open our borders for all those not willing to die for Bush's War.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I really doubt the Canadian govt would really welcome draft dodgers with open arms. Even if the Canadian people feel no kin with the US at this time, the Canadian gov't still feels a need a play ball with the US. Hell, right now several Canadian gov't agencies are working on the exrtridition of ex-patriats that fled due the Fed crack down on medicinal marijuana, people who fled when it was legal by California law and even had local permits to grow or smoke.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I really doubt the Canadian govt would really welcome draft dodgers with open arms. Even if the Canadian people feel no kin with the US at this time, the Canadian gov't still feels a need a play ball with the US. Hell, right now several Canadian gov't agencies are working on the exrtridition of ex-patriats that fled due the Fed crack down on medicinal marijuana, people who fled when it was legal by California law and even had local permits to grow or smoke.

they did during viet nam, and although reluctantly at first, welcomed deserters.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Yes, I know. But I doubt it in the near future.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Yes, I know. But I doubt it in the near future.

well i think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves, i don't see reinstating the draft as a first-term thing to do in terms of this administrations interests.

and i don't foresee a second term for president bush.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Seeing the full video right now (slow day at work). This is a massive build up to Bush speech.

"We are friends with India, Pakistan, Russia. Even NORTH KOREA"

Not a word about France or Germany even if he touched the end of the cold war.

Really looking forward to Bush speech.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Boy, such defeatists here. It ain't no free ride, no steady curve to improvement, but things aren't lost yet, despite some people's perverse hopes for just that. Who thought this stuff in Afghanistan and Iraq would be easy, well, aside from Wolfowitz apparently?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

The results are... that children are going back to school.

What he doesn't mention is that the Iraqi universities are too dangerous for US soldiers to patrol.

I wonder what they're teaching them?