Herpes Outbreak!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What in the Holy Heck is happening here? Every forum, every thread, every-where I've visited in AI lately has these genital warning labels atop. I could deal with it if they popped up once or twice a day, and mingled happily with the normal hosting/tech/whatnot ads, but I have not seen anything but Southern Itch Warnings for the last 3 days!

From he friendly non-discriminatory doc ads...

...to the slightly paranoia inducing...

...to the red & black fear tactic...

...and finally the 'it's OK to click me because I'm very hip' looking:

I remember hearing about some AI urban legend...that the mods can selectively attach an ad to a thread and such...but now I'm starting to think I'm paying in some way for my 'Customers Served' panties link. \

(I am glad the 'hot electric oven' ad is gone though. That used to give me the willies.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    It seems that once you contract an AI advert, you've got it for quite a while. Fortunately, mine are for Sky installation.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I remember hearing about some AI urban legend...that the mods can selectively attach an ad to a thread and such...but now I'm starting to think I'm paying in some way for my 'Customers Served' panties link. \

You should know that each member gets an ad that is in some way personalised. Your browser contacts the ad company, that request has your ip, the ad agency looks up some stuff (maybe cookies?) and serves the ad consequently. Needless to say: I've never seen an ad for herpes here, or anywhere else. I do get ads-a-plenty for amazon, pta, cancer. I do visit amazon on a daily basis, so I kind of see a connection.

The relevant question would be: have you been looking up some herpes info lately?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I don't see any ads.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

You should know that each member gets an ad that is in some way personalised. Your browser contacts the ad company, that request has your ip, the ad agency looks up some stuff (maybe cookies?) and serves the ad consequently.

Cool. My current ad is for Amazon. Maybe we should have a "What's Your Ad" thread and really get to know each other's secret yearnings.