Best Comic Strip EVER.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'd like to know what everyone deems the best ever.

My vote goes to Jim's Journal, Scott Dikkers very odd strip about a young college student. This was his pre-Onion days. At least at the beginning, he may have been the editor near the strips end.

Close second and third go to Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Michael Luenig...But I'd say 99.9% of the world doesn't even know of his work...\
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Then why not provide a link so we can all enjoy?
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Calvin & Hobbes, of course.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Not so much a comic strip, per se, but Gary Larson's "The Far Side" is at the top of my list.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Michael Luenig...But I'd say 99.9% of the world doesn't even know of his work...\

Uh... yeah.

Anyway, you spelled his name wrong. Some fan!!

• Reply 7 of 43
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I can't decide my favorite but it's definitely either Calvin And Hobbes, The Far Side, or Life In Hell.

I like Calvin And Hobbes because it's funny and cute. I like Calvin and I can remember being kinda like him when I was a little kid.

I like the Far Side because it's just so weird and twisted. Parts of it are just silly and others make far less sense. But it's fun that it kind of keeps you guessing as to what Gary Larson is trying to say, if anything. Unfortunately, I know a number of people who just don't understand the humor of the Far Side, mainly old ladies like my grandma .

I also like Life In Hell because it's weird, but it's different from The Far Side in that it makes more sense, in a scary way. It's really dark and depressing and you have to remember to take it with a grain of salt otherwise you'll end up shooting yourself after a few reads. To see the question "Will the characters of Life In Hell ever achieve true happiness?" answered with "Don't be silly! Binky and the gang will be just as happy as you are!" is somewhat disturbing. Matt Groening also has excellent use of words, like "bitter," "oodles," and "frivolity."
  • Reply 8 of 43
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    It would most definitely be Gaston Lagaffe (Guust Flater in Dutch and Viggo something in Norwegian) by the amazing comic strip artist Franquin. I've all the albums and I've read each one of them at least 20 times. Fun, fun, fun. Of course, the protagonist is a maladroit slacker, so I don't know to what extent an American audience will develop a taste for him. Add to that the fact that he might be perceived of as French (though Belgian), and the pond deepens some more. Anybody know him?
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Uh... yeah.

Anyway, you spelled his name wrong. Some fan!!

Dyslexia Rides again...

But hey, I am glad you know of his work...But then Mod Gods know evrything...
  • Reply 10 of 43
  • Reply 11 of 43
    #1. Calvin and Hobbs .... god, i wish he were still writing that !

Current strip favorite is Dilbert ... 'specially Catbert.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Definately Garfield. Tat fat and greedy cat never fail to make my day.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

It would most definitely be Gaston Lagaffe (Guust Flater in Dutch and Viggo something in Norwegian) by the amazing comic strip artist Franquin. I've all the albums and I've read each one of them at least 20 times. Fun, fun, fun. Of course, the protagonist is a maladroit slacker, so I don't know to what extent an American audience will develop a taste for him. Add to that the fact that he might be perceived of as French (though Belgian), and the pond deepens some more. Anybody know him?

No...But while we are on the subject of Belgium artist..cartoonist..illustrators...I have always loved Folon.

So elequent, silent..yet deeply moving...

• Reply 14 of 43
    Calvin & Hobbes or bloom county. Its too hard to decide.

Long live Opus!
  • Reply 15 of 43
    There's a lot behind Calvin and Hobbes that may not be visible at first glance. Because it mixes sillyness and intellectual matters so well, I don't really think it has an equal.

The name "Calvin and Hobbes" alone is clever.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Dyslexia Rides again...

But hey, I am glad you know of his work...But then Mod Gods know evrything...

I don't. I know of Google.

Love that Google Search in Safari.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Calvin & Hobbes would be my #1.

Haven't seen Leunig in years, but I always liked his stuff. Very Gorey-esque.

Larson of course.

A little Doonesbury now and then can be good.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    for those that miss "bloom county" i highly recommend "get fuzzy"

and a nice little app. that brings all your faves to each morning when you log in is icomic

and it's a mac only app.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Although it will get me flamed by Scott and the boys, I have to say that the best definitely is "Doonesbury" for me.

The best ever Doonesbury series was the one in the mid-seventies portarying Duke as the U.S. envoy in China , although I realize this is before the time of some posting here (have some patience for a 39-year-old geezer). Many of Gary Trudeau's strips on the Reagan years were also inspired. His current stuff is still pretty good, although I don't get to read it as often as I like, as my newspaper does not carry it.

Early Peanuts was also great. I mean the really early stuff - late 50s, early 60s - before even my time, but which you can pick up in compilations. I loved it when they had theological debates on the pitching mound. Eventually Peanuts became quite a sad strip, however. I think that Charles Schulz was forced to keep writing because of public expectations, long after the strip had played itself out.

I love Calvin and Hobbes and appreciate the fact that the strip ended before the ideas did.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Calvin and Hobbes is the best, and all the better for the fact that it is no longer being produced.

FoxTrot because Bill Amend is a mac user and often includes them in the strip.http://homepage.mac.com/billamend/

And Peanuts, because..... just because.

j.