Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ROFF

Check out the Apple store

1.25 G

USB2

Quietest update ever? Better graphic cards as well.

GeForce 4MX for the 15" and FX5200 Ultra.

DDR333 across all models as well
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

Quietest update ever? Better graphic cards as well.

GeForce 4MX for the 15" and FX5200 Ultra.

DDR333 across all models as well

And a price drop of around 250? on the 17" model in France (and in the other countries of the "Euro zone" I presume).
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Good eyes, glad to hear about the updates!

Now only if they were the PowerBooks.....
  • Reply 4 of 65
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Longhorn

Good eyes, glad to hear about the updates!

Now only if they were the PowerBooks.....

I'd imagine they're getting this out the way to prepare for the Powerbook announcements.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Is there any way to keep this news from Matsu? He'll FLIP when he sees there was no price drop in North America.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    about time europe got something from apple (before the states)
  • Reply 7 of 65
    You also get a copy of "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4" now too.

This is a pretty decent update- the 17" should be $1599 though...
  • Reply 8 of 65
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    A stop gap update. Sad there is no price drop. It would have been a pretty good update if they'd dropped the price $200 and made both models 17 inch. They should also put in 512 MB out of the box.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    I'll happily step in for Matsu, until he gets here, of course!

Quiet updates? Anybody got deja vu? It's like the tired 'power'Mac updates before the G5.

iMac2 in its death throws.

How am I doing?

The apple uk store hasn't updated with this stuff yet. So I'm not entirely sure...but judging from the dollar price...I don't think we get a price cut?

Oh...CAAAAAAAAAARMON!

The iMac2. A stunning looking machine in dire need of a stunning processor (any candidates...?) And the graphic card in the top end 'maxed out' machine? Sucks.

I'm curious to see how Powerbook and iMac2 sales hold up in light of the G5 announcement/shipping.

Hopefully, the next iMac2 update (presumably in 13 months, sorry, 9 MONTHS time will have a G5 running at 1.6 gig at least! That will be the time to jump on one. But I think I'd rather have a Rev B Powermac, eh?)

Still, one bit of good news, the iPod got bumped again. Pouring the agony on the opposition. Could do with another price cut? I still can't justify getting one yet. I'm sure there are others who feel that way for a £200 plus music player. You can get a decent stereo system for that! One that will play yer old vinyls, cassettes and cds! However, it's exciting to see Apple actually having a shot at a genuine critical mass contender. I wonder what sales will be like when iTunes Music Store for Windows goes online... We'll know if the iPod has really arrived when Apple has a model at £95 and almost everyone has one. They've still got a way to go... It's a great product though.

Apple obviously feels it can sell enough imac2s at this price level. Sniff.

Oh well. I guess it was never intended to be the winner it's predecessor was...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Am I imagining things or is the old G4 PowerMac no longer configurable with a second processor? I was just looking at them YESTERDAY and you could CTO any model with a second 1.25 for about $300. Today the ony dual is the pimped-out top model, which is hardly a bargain at $3,200!

On second glance, I think what you can do is select the top model and downgrade all the stuff you don't want.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Yeah Bruno I just noticed the same thing.... What I find interesting about this update is that it is still cheaper in the UK to buy a Powermac G4 (for £1000) G4/1.25Ghz/256DDR/80Gb/Combo/ATI9000 and a Samsung 17" widescreen TFT with DVI input (for £300) than it is to buy the iMac 17"!!!!! (£1450)

Why do Apple persist on pricing themselves out of their own market!! If you are tempted by the new 1.25Ghz 17" iMac, you owe it to yourself to look at the Powermac long and hard first.

Still, I just brought an iPod on saturday so I suppose I cant talk....
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by imacFP

A stop gap update. Sad there is no price drop. It would have been a pretty good update if they'd dropped the price $200 and made both models 17 inch. They should also put in 512 MB out of the box.

Couldn't agree with you more - component prices drop over time, so why oh why not shave the price a bit. Also, 512 MB should really be the standard these days.

What are the views on the new graphics card - I'm finding it harder and harder to track the differences between obscurely named graphics cards. . . . .
  • Reply 13 of 65
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    200 CDN price drop in Canada due to weaker US and stronger CDN

But still....with the price like this and the spec you get........it's lame

Apple will be lucky if they can sell over 20,000 units in the next quarter
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Apple will be lucky if they can sell over 20,000 units in the next quarter

Well, just because I like to be contrary, and because I have been waiting SO long for a new PowerBook, I am seriously considering picking up a new iMac to tide me over until the dawn of the G5 PowerBooks!

Seriously, a price drop would have been great, as we have a bunch of 17-inch iMacs in the office and they really are nice machines. A faster processor and bus make them even more attractive. If I could pick one up for $1,499 edu I'd probably get one and forget about PowerBooks until next year.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Am I imagining things or is the old G4 PowerMac no longer configurable with a second processor? I was just looking at them YESTERDAY and you could CTO any model with a second 1.25 for about $300. Today the ony dual is the pimped-out top model, which is hardly a bargain at $3,200!

On second glance, I think what you can do is select the top model and downgrade all the stuff you don't want.

I noticed this too, as I recently purchased a dual 1.25. and yes, you can select the dual 1.25 now and 'downgrade'

so no, the dual 1.25 does not cost more than the dual 2ghz
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

If you are tempted by the new 1.25Ghz 17" iMac, you owe it to yourself to look at the Powermac long and hard first.

So true. The only things the iMac has got over the PowerMac is Airport Extreme (god I hate that name) and USB 2.0 support.

And don't forget the iMac has no L3 cache (vs 1MB on the PowerMac).
  • Reply 17 of 65
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    It's a rather uninspired update...perhaps there's something bigger just down the road. But since Apple's pretty notorious for slow upgrades, my guess is this iMac won't sell in volumes.

With the G4 towers ultimately being phased out, it would have been nice to see a high end dual 1.25 G4 iMac.

Not to mention a price drop could have really helped sales leading into the holiday season.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Anyone notice that this is the only the second time in history that the iMac's spec has been higher than the Powerbooks? And the only other time was for one month when the rev. D iMacs were released before the Lombard powerbooks.

Something is coming for sure and sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Not to mention a price drop could have really helped sales leading into the holiday season.

There's still time for a holiday price drop. Apple does like to shake down the early adopters. Fulfill the pent-up demand for those waiting for iMac revs, then drop the price in early December to goose demand again.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Very nice. Still behind but catching up and the graphics are great. One beef that is going to make me wait until the next iMac update: THEY STILL FORCE YOU TO BUY A SUPERDRIVE on the 17" iMac! I don't want one in the iMac!!!! Just combo!!! Apple has BTO for a fücking reason. What a ripoff. Still too expensive.