Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 361 of 556
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neumac

Although I see almost no chance of a G5 Pbook before next year, this move does seem to give that rumor a little more credence. After all, wouldn't a 1.25 GHz Pbook be a bit anticlimactic at this point?

I'm hoping for dual 1.25GHz 7457's...

...dreaming perhaps since Motorola can't manufacture enough
  • Reply 362 of 556
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neumac

After all, wouldn't a 1.25 GHz Pbook be a bit anticlimactic at this point?

Yes it would...but then again so was this iMac upgrade.

Unfortunately, it may have to do with what Apple has available to them at the time (chip wise) and I suppose a minor speed bump with a new Aluminum enclosure (for the 15") is better than none.
  • Reply 363 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Unfortunately, it may have to do with what Apple has available to them at the time (chip wise) and I suppose a minor speed bump with a new Aluminum enclosure (for the 15") is better than none.

The main goals of this speed bump/upgrde will be new enclosure , processors to 1.25, updated SD, USB 2.0, Airport extreme, faster RAM & Hardrive. That is all. Don't go messing up those britches just yet.

I should note, that I will be buying one and that when I say "that is all" I am not trying to downplay the importance of those updates.
  • Reply 364 of 556
    [crying] macrumors.com (which correctly predicted new iMacs today) reports no new Power Books tomorrow [/crying]

On a positive note, this MUST mean G5 PowerBooks at Paris, cuz as much as I think it is farfetched for Apple to release them so soon, it would be even more absurd for Apple to be saving a puny speed bump for an Apple Expo announcement.
  • Reply 365 of 556
    Just Recieved my TiPowerbook 3 minutes ago from fedex. Yay

• Reply 366 of 556
    Quote:

So why intro the iMac first if the Pbook is coming shortly? It's sort of a perception issue. By the iMac appearing first the Pbook update looks even weaker than it is (if only a 250 MHz bump, etc., per rumors). At least if you intro the Pbook first there is more positive spin that you can put on bringing the iMacs up to "pro" standards rather than bringing the Pbooks up to consumer standards.

Again, it all makes a little more sense if the Pbook update is better than we've been hearing (yes, those rumor thingys again).
  • Reply 367 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You goofy sumbitches who are a) whining about 1.25GHz G4 PowerBooks and b) actually expecting portable G5s next Tuesday are both maddening and hilarious.

Better keep the Prozac or whatever your chiller of choice is close at hand in the coming weeks...

What am I missing here: what, exactly, is so horrible about a 1.25GHz G4, 1MB L3 cache, fast bus, 64MB graphics, new aluminum enclosure (with all the improvements over the Titanium that implies: hinge, AirPort reception, nicer keyboard, etc.), AirPort Extreme, built-in Bluetooth, DDR RAM, probably 80GB hard drives, FireWire 800 and (possibly) USB 2 (the reason I say that is because now, in addition to the G5 the new iMacs sport USB 2, so I'm guessing any new PowerBooks will...or should).

All of the above in a cool-as-can-be 1" thin, sleek and light, full-featured aluminum body that will be the envy of your friends, family and co-workers? And quite possibly a BODACIOUS chick/dude magnet for years to come?

• Reply 368 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

What am I missing here: what, exactly, is so horrible about a 1.25GHz G4, 1MB L3 cache, fast bus, 64MB graphics, new aluminum enclosure (with all the improvements over the Titanium that implies: hinge, AirPort reception, nicer keyboard, etc.), AirPort Extreme, built-in Bluetooth, DDR RAM, probably 80GB hard drives, FireWire 800 and (possibly) USB 2 (the reason I say that is because now, in addition to the G5 the new iMacs sport USB 2, so I'm guessing any new PowerBooks will...or should).

What's horrible about it is that you can't go to store.apple.com and buy it NOW. The PC laptop world is above 2GHz . Apple won't even release 1.25Ghz laptop. They're too damn busy screwing around with the new iMac.
  • Reply 369 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by popmetal The PC laptop world is above 2GHz

Who gives a flying rat's ass what any PC laptop is up to? Big deal. Good for them. I don't use them, so I don't really give a damn.

They can be 5GHz for all I care and guess what? It still isn't anything I'd want to use and in no way affects my computer-using life, either in a professional or personal capacity.

A lot of the Mac community needs to seriously let go of this whole "yeah but..." PC-envy complex. Forever comparing what they have, compared to what we have and looking at it only from a numbers/spec point of view is such a narrow, limiting way to go about it all.

I've never understood that whole thing, or bought into it all. Thank God.
  • Reply 370 of 556
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Absolutely nothing...just deliver it!

If that's all we're in store for, it shouldn't have taken that long for it to arrive.

The waiting has been the hardest part...that's all.
  • Reply 371 of 556
    Quote:

Who gives a flying rat's ass what any PC laptop is up to? Big deal. Good for them. I don't use them, so I don't really give a damn.

They can be 5GHz for all I care and guess what? It still isn't anything I'd want to use and in no way affects my computer-using life, either in a professional or personal capacity.

True. But it doesn't change the reality that Apple's current laptop line is obsolete.
  • Reply 372 of 556
    Quote:

Absolutely nothing...just deliver it!

If that's all we're in store for, it shouldn't have taken that long for it to arrive.

The waiting has been the hardest part...that's all.

exactly
  • Reply 373 of 556
    I don't know whether to or

Sigh...

• Reply 374 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beakee

The main goals of this speed bump/upgrde will be new enclosure , processors to 1.25, updated SD, USB 2.0, Airport extreme, faster RAM & Hardrive. That is all. Don't go messing up those britches just yet.

You never know. Remember, Powerlogix said they had samples of the 7457 at 1.6GHz and they expected to ship upgrades at that speed. They certainly would not have access to chips that are faster than what's available to Apple.

1.4GHz upgrades are available right now and Sonnet identifies them only as 745X.
  • Reply 375 of 556
    Is there any way, then, that even though the new PowerBooks won't be G5-based, perhaps they're going to indeed be more in the 1.4-1.6GHz range, as opposed to the expected 1.2GH/? And perhaps with 200MHz bus speeds?

Again, I don't know. But is this possible? I don't read/understand those spec .PDF things, so I'm fumbling wildly here...

• Reply 376 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

You never know. Remember, Powerlogix said they had samples of the 7457 at 1.6GHz and they expected to ship upgrades at that speed. They certainly would not have access to chips that are faster than what's available to Apple.

1.4GHz upgrades are available right now and Sonnet identifies them only as 745X.

If that turns out to be legit, all the better! I am in for the new PB 15 pretty much no matter what, I already made up my mind this summer to wait it out.
  • Reply 377 of 556
    Quote:

A lot of the Mac community needs to seriously let go of this whole "yeah but..." PC-envy complex. Forever comparing what they have, compared to what we have and looking at it only from a numbers/spec point of view is such a narrow, limiting way to go about it all.

I've never understood that whole thing, or bought into it all. Thank God.

Can I get an AMEN!!!
  • Reply 378 of 556
    Amen! Oh wait...
  • Reply 379 of 556
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I agree, I don't care if they have a Terrahertz chip, it still runs windblows...which I only do when there is absolutely no other choice.

I suffered through 4-hour renders on a 500MHz G4 without upping to a cheap +GHz windblows box, which I easily could have justified from a cost (work) standpoint (had two macs with one rendering in the background).
  • Reply 380 of 556
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by popmetal

Now THIS is BEYOND PATHETIC!!!!

I thought G4 shortage was the reason for no new powerbooks. Now they are wasting the damn things on a STUPID iMac update. iMac?!?!!? That piece of shit is not even a professional machine, but it takes precedence to PowerBooks?!?!? Give me a ****in' brake!

Maybe because something better for the Powerbook is imminent??

Just a thought.