"Over ten million songs served"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Saw on Macrumors.com that Apple issued this press release.

Quote:

Apple® today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded over ten million songs from the iTunes® Music Store since its launch just over four months ago, averaging over 500,000 songs per week

Unfortunately the ten millionth song was Avril Lavigne, but what's to be done with these kids these days.

Anyway, just a reminder, those sales are from U.S. Mac users only. The prospect for sales from a cross-platform worldwide Music Store are huge, but deflating everyday. Pray apple announces at least European availability at the Paris Expo.

Screed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    "Deflating every day"? Really?

Cross platform will happen in the U.S. shortly I believe (and Canada as well). Developing iTMS for Europe is much more difficult due to the various labels, royalty set ups and copyright laws which are different than the U.S. Many recordings sold at the U.S. iTunes store are in the public domain in Europe but still under copyright in the U.S.

Getting the U.S. iTunes store took nearly a year of negotiations with labels and artists. And of course there's the matter of server farms necessary to download the songs to buyers. They have to be set up in each individual country.

Those who think putting this together is easy are just not aware of the complications.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

"Deflating every day"? Really?

Cross platform will happen in the U.S. shortly I believe (and Canada as well). Developing iTMS for Europe is much more difficult due to the various labels, royalty set ups and copyright laws which are different than the U.S. Many recordings sold at the U.S. iTunes store are in the public domain in Europe but still under copyright in the U.S.

Getting the U.S. iTunes store took nearly a year of negotiations with labels and artists. And of course there's the matter of server farms necessary to download the songs to buyers. They have to be set up in each individual country.

Those who think putting this together is easy are just not aware of the complications.

Definitely deflating. The longer it takes to get ITMS to the PC, and to Europe / Japan, the harder it's going to be for Apple to dominate the market. The question is: does Apple have a comparative advantage in the music market. On the yes side: iTunes is great, and everything is nicely integrated. On the down side, music sales like this are essentially commodities, so those who establish market dominance rule. . . .

kumrabai
  • Reply 3 of 9
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Right. I wasn't suggesting Hindenberg scale deflation, but as every week passes competitors get that much more time to roll out their own implementations.

I realize the difficulties in getting non-U.S. markets involved. However, with Apple's raging success indicated by this milestone, it should be just a little bit easier to get contracts settled.

"Look we sold ten million songs in four months! Don't you want to be a part of that?"

Actually Apple has two different obstacles. iTunes for non-U.S. markets and iTunes for Windows. Apparently the media giants are more hesitant about DRM (as limited as Apple's is) on Microsoft's platform(s) than the Mac. (I wonder if it's a technical issue or a market share issue -- 5% vs. 95%)?

Here's a thought: iTunes Music Store for web enabled handhelds (Palm and/or PocketPC). Pay. Download. Play. Whoa.

Hm.

Screed
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Actually, Apple's success may be a cause of concern to the labels. I read somewhere that Apple only has a one year license with the 5 majors. All of the new competing on line services announced have more restrictions on useage of downloads as we all know. There have been reports that the labels agreed to the almost unlimited DRM because Apple was a minority platform. If Apple has to restrict PC useage as BuyMusic and the others have done (along with the confusing price points) it might be untenable. PC users must have the ability to buy songs and have the same rights that Mac owners have.

Remember, Apple was not the first with an MP 3 player but when they did come out with one it immediately took over the market. I think you're making too much of the delay. People will come on board when it's available. Obviously the sooner the better, but some things are worth waiting for. There's a tendancy to want things "right now" in this country. In other parts of the world people are more patient.... except for Apple users!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Who says there can't be tighter digital rights restrictions on the PC iTMS? Obviously no one wants to see that stipulated, but if it's unavoidable that shouldn't prevent Apple from entering the PC market. Superior rights to one's downloaded music could be another Mac advantage touted in Switch ads.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Actually, Apple's success may be a cause of concern to the labels. I read somewhere that Apple only has a one year license with the 5 majors. All of the new competing on line services announced have more restrictions on useage of downloads as we all know. There have been reports that the labels agreed to the almost unlimited DRM because Apple was a minority platform. If Apple has to restrict PC useage as BuyMusic and the others have done (along with the confusing price points) it might be untenable. PC users must have the ability to buy songs and have the same rights that Mac owners have.

Remember, Apple was not the first with an MP 3 player but when they did come out with one it immediately took over the market. I think you're making too much of the delay. People will come on board when it's available. Obviously the sooner the better, but some things are worth waiting for. There's a tendancy to want things "right now" in this country. In other parts of the world people are more patient.... except for Apple users!

Whaddaya mean we can't have it all?????? But I suspect that you're right - the labels may well find themselves a little bit less keen to meet the needs of customers, cuz they think they may be giving away the farm. . . . I have this horrible feeling you might actually see too much fragmentation in the market, with each of the five putting out their own service, with their own songs and conditions etc. You woulda thought they'd figured it out by now, but hey.

In terms of what comes next, besides ITMS for Windows. . . .

I'd love to see some lyrics available, and definitely would like to see links to album reviews. ITMS is such a great way of discovering new stuff, but it helps to have signboards along the way!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    From Macrumors.com (link):

Quote:

...other rumblings have noted that Apple's iTunes Music Store for Windows has met some unexpected delays. The significance of this is unknown.

Screed
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

From Macrumors.com (link):

Screed

Rumblings such as??????
  • Reply 9 of 9
    BUT I STLL CAN"T USE IT