New iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
20 and 40 Gb models now. I assume those are new, although I've been out of contact for a while.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Nope they're new today.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Nope, new today. Just read it, and now I want one!
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Apple turns predicted these last friday. Were any other rumor sites also predicting the specific date and size of the new ipods?
  • Reply 4 of 30
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    My 15GB iPod is horribly old and crappy now.

Some day very soon, people will say "they made a 15GB model?".

And I will weep.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No microphone? Wow are they stupid. They don't take a hint do they?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

My 15GB iPod is horribly old and crappy now.

Some day very soon, people will say "they made a 15GB model?".

And I will weep.

It's alright. I have a 15GB iPod too. At least it's one of a kind... Yeah, I'll keep telling myself that.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

It's alright. I have a 15GB iPod too. At least it's one of a kind... Yeah, I'll keep telling myself that.

damn now i really want one. a £150 iPod would seriously be tempting but the first serious one (you still don't get the nice extras with the entry model) is £299. hmm, should I? I always thought 15GB was an odd size, not very rounded.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Ahhh, still time to cancel my 15GB order. And the it was more expensive than the 20GB model!

Yesss? 20GB will serve me well? phew, that was close.

On a side note: I hear a 50GB model will be coming this November. Was this just twisted information about today's update, or something more to come?
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I see some of you (like me) have been kicking themselves for getting an iPod in the last few days (over 10 days and personlaised in my case) Maybe it would help to read these comforting words...

iPod Envy: Dealing With The idea That You Can't Have It All

www.applematters.com/comments.php?id=38_0_1_0_C

And this was after the 2nd Gen went to 3rd Gen... So we, newly christened 15/30GB owners, must realise - we still have on-the-go-playlists, we still have out-of-this-world touch sensitive buttons, we still have backlit displays. It is not even a case of 'still'. We are not unlucky. We are proud.

I have passed from Stage 1: Shock, and Stage 2: Dismay to Stage 3: Acceptance. Not in a negative way, but in a glorious way: " My beautiful 'Pod, i am shamed that in my darkest hours of cash/GB disappointment i was willing to forsake you. For now i have seen the light, that you are the most beautiful and brilliant thing in my possession, and we will always be great together...'

My iPod has a big tummy, and we're both happy.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I still have my trusty 10GB second gen pod. I remember how I saved up for months to be able to afford it? how I persuaded myself to spend that bit more and go for 10 instead of 5? how the delivery company messed up and returned it to Apple, leading to a week's worth of phone calls? how it finally arrived, and I plugged it into my Pismo straight away and downloaded all my music.

My iPod's going strong. It accompanied me to France this summer. I had to charge it on a campsite electricity box, and the charger wouldn't fit (my British to French plug converter made the adapter go in upside down)? so I combined my digital camera's plug with the ipod's adapter and got it to charge.

Sure, a new one would be nice. But mine's got a long way to go yet.

Amorya
  • Reply 11 of 30
    I still have my first gen 5 gig. Paid $499 for it. Am I sorry? Of course not. In the business of high tech, new models, lower prices and more features are the norm. I have no buyers remorse. Don't dwell on it, life is too short and it's really not important in the scheme of things. Buy something when you want or need it or can afford it. If you wait for the latest and greatest you'll never buy anything!
  • Reply 12 of 30
    No kidding my 5 gig rocks, it's got battle scars. But if Apple made one with a mic and/or video jacks/ color screen with playback, i'd buy in as soon as I could afford it.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    You want to watch movies or videos on a two inch screen? I don't think it makes any sense. If you appreciate films you need to see them on something bigger then a postage stamp.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Hence video jacks...

And believe me that screen with higher res would be fine, you get used to it. I'm on a mini powerbook and it seems fine. People do all kinds of stuff on their cell. Besides that's for quick clips, for a whole movie I'd expect you could plug it into one of those TVs in a car, or any other TV. Video out ports would be bitchin and video in, for an add-on to a dv cam or something, would be interesting too. The storage is that big now that it's feasible.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Besides that's for quick clips, for a whole movie I'd expect you could plug it into one of those TVs in a car, or any other TV. Video out ports would be bitchin and video in, for an add-on to a dv cam or something, would be interesting too. The storage is that big now that it's feasible.

I read somewhere that the Toshiba HD found in the iPod was not made for sustained read or write access. When reading audio, the buffer allows the disk to spin once every ten or so minutes I think, preventing it from heating too much.

When watching a whole movie, the buffer will be too small too allow the disk to "rest" enough. The problem should be the same if you try to listen for a long time to your CD tunes directly in AIFF.

The only solution for now would be using a regular 2.5" HD (like the ones found in the Archos Multimedia gear), making the iPod lose its edge on the other HD-based players. So I don't think we should expect video iPods shortly.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    I'm sure a camera, video or still, will be added eventually as well, like the Clie or those cell phones. The tech is small enough now. 80 gigs for just mp3 is not taking advantage of that space.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

However, they should make it possible to use the current iPods as digital wallets and download data from digital cameras. Nothing in the hardware prohibits this, as far as I know.

Yep. That would be great. The iPod has already got a firewire port. The only problem I see is that the camera manufacturers seem to be taking the USB 2.0 path rather than the firwire path.

So Apple would need to either get a major camera manufacturer (Sony comes to mind) to build a firewire camera, or add a USB port to the iPod. The second option seems pretty unlikely, as I cannot imagine how another port would fit in such a small package. They could also sell a USB to Firewire clip (clip it on the top of the iPod for instance), but that would be akward.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by PizzaBoy

The only problem I see is that the camera manufacturers seem to be taking the USB 2.0 path rather than the firewire path.

Haven't practically all recent digital cameras used USB for connection to a computer? The newer iPod's do have support for USB 2.0 on them

Quote:

An elegant, convenient home base for iPod on a desk or connected to a home stereo system, the dock provides syncing via FireWire or USB 2.0*,

(OK yes there is a asterix there next to it on the Apple page but it's definately possible!)

so I can't see a problem with using an iPod to download pics to, there are other similar harddrive based products that do this (eg the SmartDisk FlashTrax, this thing even plays mp3)

That would really fit in well with the digital hub theme, however Apple might be wary of treading on other hardware manufactuers toes when it comes to expanding the iPod in this way?

I love that there is so much scope for the iPod.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

The newer iPod's do have support for USB 2.0 on them

I had totally forgotten about that. So I guess it is not only possible, it is really easy. Apple could just port ImageCapture.app to the iPod, and we're set.

Quote:

That would really fit in well with the digital hub theme, however Apple might be wary of treading on other hardware manufactuers toes when it comes to expanding the iPod in this way?

I don't think so. I don't know of any stand-alone HD drive that can download pictures from a digital camera without the need of a computer, and without being plugged. Apple would be stepping in pretty virgin territory.

Quote:

I love that there is so much scope for the iPod.

That's the beauty of it. The whole thing is just a big (capacity) small (size) storage item, with some cool stand alone features : music player, adress book... Many new features can benefit from the storage and could be added little by little.

Great... I was going to buy a new 20 Gig iPod, now I have to wait till they add picture download
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by PizzaBoy

I don't think so. I don't know of any stand-alone HD drive that can download pictures from a digital camera without the need of a computer, and without being plugged. Apple would be stepping in pretty virgin territory.

From CancomUK Blurb on SmartDisk Flash Trax

Quote:

FlashTrax Digital Multimedia Device USB 2.0 Mac/WinFlashTrax can safely store high-resolution images transferred from any flash memory card onto the built-in 30GB USB2.0 hard drive and displays them on a 3.5" LCD that outperforms tiny on-camera screens. By using the sleek control pad, the user can change the image, zoom in, zoom out and scroll, or choose a slide show function - all without the need of a PC.

All Apple need to do is put the software in (it's like the reverse of the audio recording !)