Anybody ever take that IQ test at Emode?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Good stuff or just a way to generate income?

http://www.emode.com/jumpto?c=40656&test=uiqogt

I got a real zinger of a score!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Are we talking Mensa, or mongoloid?

If I remember rightly I got 140, but I wouldn't hold much stock in that... (if I was smarter I would remember, and if I was really smart I wouldn't be wasting my time taking the test!)
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Geez, 140?! That's like at the top of the scale. Well I got a 131. I was just wondering if it is routine for people amongst us here to blow away this test or is 100 still a meaningful average?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    so far i know nothing who got anything like only 100.

being tired and not knowing the exact meaning of all the words (adjectives, expressions etc) in the alternatives, and doing that in the same room with 2 people talking loudly about cheat codes of vice city on the same time (circle, l1, r1, r2, r1, triange, square etc) i got 135. it doesn't feel so good as someone got 145 or 150 or soemthng ...
  • Reply 4 of 48
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

I was just wondering if it is routine for people amongst us here to blow away this test or is 100 still a meaningful average?

ask it in the pc forums... maybe they score an average 98?
  • Reply 5 of 48
    8 inches.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Mensa takes the 98th percentile which equates to an IQ of 130 to 148 depending on the test you take. It costs you about $40 to take the test, but failure = no acceptance ever (unless you take a 3rd party test, which to me doesn't seem that smart).

Why you would ever want to join mensa I don't know, bragging rights?
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Mensa takes the 98th percentile which equates to an IQ of 130 to 148 depending on the test you take. It costs you about $40 to take the test, but failure = no acceptance ever (unless you take a 3rd party test, which to me doesn't seem that smart).

Why you would ever want to join mensa I don't know, bragging rights?

I was wondering about the Mensa thing. I imagined that maybe with this test result I could just squeak in. Looks like I was right!

As for why- I heard they have a "hot chicks room".
  • Reply 8 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    IQ test are worthless for most people.

If i have a bad result in a IQ test, it will not change my life, and IQ are never asked in my aera. So a bad IQ will only give me a bad mood. In reverse a good will only give me a better opinion of my self, and i will tend to become an arrogant asshole ...

In otherway, IQ test was a good thing for somepoeple. I know somebody who used to work in a bakery since the age of 14. During the milatary service, he had an IQ, and he discovered that it was high, and it changed his life. He decided to change of jobs, and worked in the assurances with sucess.

An IQ test is something that can give confidence to people who do not suceed in school, otherwise it's a waste of time.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

IQ is not everything. In fact, it's very little. I just scored a 136 and at 32 I'm still working on getting my career going.

*Twlight Zone Theme*

Stop it. You're scaring me. I just turned 32 today, took the test a couple weeks ago and scored a 136, and am also looking to get back on track with my career after getting used and abused by my former employer. However, I only have one woman in my life and she's not inclined to bringing other women into bed (which is a shame but I'll survive).

IQ is a strange thing. I'm sure you could make the argument that it has potential to postively impact your career in ways not possible with a much lower score... but the thing is, it's like any other talent or gift or whatever you want to call it. If you don't apply the talent well or in the right time and place, it's pretty much useless. Also, I think people's scores naturally tend to increase as they get older.

I took a similar test some years back and scored 124 or something like that. I remember specific types of questions that for whatever reason stumped me back then, but were easy for me to figure out now. Therefore I think IQ tests are more tests of acquired knowledge and knowledge application than "natural intelligence" (i.e. "what you were born with").
  • Reply 10 of 48
    So are most reasonably bright people going to automatically hit 130's? That seems to be the trend here so far. No 120's, 110's, just bammm- 130's. I'd be curious to see if there is anyone here that would come in right at 100...
  • Reply 11 of 48
    newnew Posts: 3,244member

The test is quite culture and language biased.

fallacious? inept? kangaroos and mules?

No good test would have such variables.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

fallacious? inept? kangaroos and mules?

No good test would have such variables.

What is so cultural and language biased about those items (other than needing to know English as a language)?
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

What is so cultural and language biased about those items (other than needing to know English as a language)?

well, the first two words are not in my (english as a third language) vocabulary. Using the kangaroo as the odd one is a classic cultural bias case. Australia being a slightly exotic country within the english speaking hemisphere. Luckily we norwegians grew up with skippy and spell England the same way.

Then there are the proverbs. Are they real? I can't tell. I don't even know if proverb is the correct term.

English units like miles? How many asians and africans have seen an iceskate?
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

well, the first two words are not in my (english as a third language) vocabulary. Using the kangaroo as the odd one is a classic cultural bias case. Australia being a slightly exotic country within the english speaking hemisphere. Luckily we norwegians grew up with skippy and spell England the same way.

Then there are the proverbs. Are they real? I can't tell. I don't even know if proverb is the correct term.

English units like miles? How many asians and africans have seen an iceskate?

...but you still got a 135! Were you expecting something far higher?

I don't think they intended to mean a kangaroo is "odd". It was just the "one" that was based in a different geographical area than the others.

Yeah, even I was unsure about some of the proverbs, but we still got into the 130's, so clearly that was not such a detriment to the score.

True, they did use English units, however, it was not necessary to make any unit conversions. So it is largely irrelevant. They could have been units of "cubonians" for all we care. The answer would still be numerically the same as long as you consistently reported in "cuboninians".

The iceskate is a little more difficult to explain. I could argue that it is shaped to go on a foot, and that should be inference enough to get the right answer. However, I'll concede it could go either way.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Gould's Mismeasure of Man. He systematically goes through the history of IQ and how BS it all is.

How about those sayings? Pretty nuts, huh? "Even the most ___________ rose has thorns." Where do they come up with this shit (or as trumptman puts it, "shit")?

I got 136, but I can't see what I could have done wrong. It was probably one of the math ones, though I don't see any that were difficult. I have a hard time doing math in my head, hence my casio calculator watch. Of course, it really is just me being lazy.

If someone gets the answer key you should pass it around. I know I'll do a big "Doh!" when I see which ones I screwed up on.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Sure, 135 is great, my english is quite good, and norway is practically identical to anglo/american culture anyway. But still I reacted to some of the questions.

I was merely pointing out that the further you move away from the US/northern Europe, the harder it would get to score high on this test.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

135 is great

I don't like that I got less than 140

So the ones I got wrong were 40, 27, 20, and 7

Answer key: http://www.btfindustries.com/Personal/IQ.htm

I feel like an idiot. I feel even more like an idiot because I still don't understand what make the correct answers right on all except 20.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I don't like that I got less than 140

So the ones I got wrong were 40, 27, 20, and 7

Answer key: http://www.btfindustries.com/Personal/IQ.htm

I feel like an idiot. I feel even more like an idiot because I still don't understand what make the correct answers right on all except 20.

I haven't figured out 20, either. Why isn't it a tie?

Astonishingly, the questions I got wrong follow the same ones you did. So maybe this is a common thing?

7, I still don't know. I just lost patience to analyze it any further.

27, my best guess is that everything but the grape has a "tough skin", but that still seems like a weak association, so maybe it is something else, still. Originally, I thought it was the coconut that didn't belong since it traditionally comes from a tropical climate unlike the others.

40, evaded me for a moment, but it became clear that the correct answer was different since it contained two small shapes instead of a small and big shape.

BTW, my intellectual type came out as the "visual mathematician". Everybody else, feel free to chime in on your IT designation, please!
  • Reply 19 of 48
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So what's the answer to this one:

Quote:

John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

_900

I thought maybe he didn't like numbers divisible by 3, but then both 900 and 1200 are divisible by 3. It must be something even dumber? I think I put 1100 just for kicks.

I also got a 136 on the test. The only scores I've seen here are 135 and 136.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I also got a 136 on the test. The only scores I've seen here are 135 and 136.

It looks like all it does it chop off a point for each one you get wrong, though I know age is supposed to be considered a factor in IQ.