Anybody ever take that IQ test at Emode?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

40, evaded me for a moment, but it became clear that the correct answer was different since it contained two small shapes instead of a small and big shape.

That's stupid (the problem and answer, not you)
  • Reply 22 of 48
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Very likely: e-mode makes sure you are rated highly so you're more likely to order the paid test analyses and their other personality batteries and such. I am willing to bet if we took a more rigorous test at the local university, we'd all score 5-10 points lower.

Loosely translated: it's a meaningless score, because they're trying to sell you on their services. Conflict of interest, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    John is such a square!
  • Reply 24 of 48
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I took it and got a 135.

After seeing the key I disagree with some of the answers too.

Example

2. Which one of these five is least like the other four?

Mule

Kangaroo

Cow

Deer

Donkey

I choose Mule because the mule is the only animal in that group that cannot reproduce. I consider that a much larger difference than say legs.

Nick
  • Reply 25 of 48
    135 here as well. I agree with the points made about a US centric cultural / linguistic bias, which suggests that the test is not nearly as scientific as it purports to be (although I noticed the same slight bias when I took the GMAT).

I still totally don't get why a grape is the odd one out...
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

the test is not nearly as scientific as it purports to be

But it's "PHD-certified!"
  • Reply 27 of 48
    OK, leave it to my lady to get almost every one right (the only one she got wrong was the race with sally, giving her a 139).

So here's the answers to those weird ones.

7: he only likes number with even squares

40: what you said, randycat

27: grape, because it's the only one that doesn't grow on a tree

So as I predicted: "Doh!"
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

27: grape, because it's the only one that doesn't grow on a tree

Ah, okay. I'll buy that.

You gots a smart lady...
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Suffice to say, there are a number of ways these items can be categorized which will lead to a different answer, IMO. Who's to say one categorization is less valid than another? In this case, it only matters wrt what the original creator of the question was thinking when he made it. Whether or not that is a flaw in the test question or a matter of having the right state of mind, I have no idea...
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

So what's the answer to this one:

I thought maybe he didn't like numbers divisible by 3, but then both 900 and 1200 are divisible by 3. It must be something even dumber? I think I put 1100 just for kicks.

I also got a 136 on the test. The only scores I've seen here are 135 and 136.

900 is 30 times 30, 100 is ten times ten and 2500 is 50 times 50 so the answer is 900 as it is 30 times 30. right?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJer

900 is 30 times 30, 100 is ten times ten and 2500 is 50 times 50 so the answer is 900 as it is 30 times 30. right?

bingo!
  • Reply 32 of 48
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

well, the first two words are not in my (english as a third language) vocabulary. Using the kangaroo as the odd one is a classic cultural bias case. Australia being a slightly exotic country within the english speaking hemisphere. Luckily we norwegians grew up with skippy and spell England the same way.

Then there are the proverbs. Are they real? I can't tell. I don't even know if proverb is the correct term.

English units like miles? How many asians and africans have seen an iceskate?

I learnt about Vikings from Hagar comix while bouncing around in Skippy's pouch..

Does that make me culturally balanced...
  • Reply 33 of 48
    When I grow up, I'm going to bovine university!
  • Reply 34 of 48
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I don't understand what you guys are talking about. Kangaroo is different because it's a marsupial, while the others are from the equine/bovine/cervine (had to look that up) groups, which are much more closely related biologically, and also (more likely the correct answer) because kangaroos generally stand on two legs while all the others stand on four. It's got very little or anything at all to do with geographical area.

My point was more related to that our knowledge of Australian fauna is pretty good. And a, say, mongolian would probably have more trouble distinguishing between the animals in question. Same thing with the fruite.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I missed 7, 11 and 20.

#20 - assume it's 30 miles from a to b.

Jack takes 1 hour from a to b and three hours from b to a. 4 hours total.

Sandy takes 1.5 hours from a to b and 1.5 hours from b to a. 3 hours total. But it evades me mathematically and I got an 800 on SAT math. Tough question, and by the responses on this thread, the most difficult of them all, along with #7.

If way/time is given, but time/way asked, always use the reciprocal.

60 minutes / 30 miles = 2 minutes/mile

60 minutes / 10 miles = 6 minutes/mile

60 minutes / 20 miles = 3 minutes/mile

Obviously, (6+2)/2 = 4 != 3
  • Reply 36 of 48
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    It's a little known fact that arguing over the legitimacy of emode IQ questions, can actually kill brain cells and decrease your IQ.

• Reply 37 of 48
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    QED
  • Reply 38 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I got 133 on this test, but like the Panthera onca, i have big problems with the language.

They said i was a visual mathematician. Normally in my native language, i am the best in language. It means that an IQ can be modified by what you learn.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Just another point of information- if you go through the Emode matchmaking area and check out the profiles, 120-140 IQ ratings are quite widespread, if not universal. I guess the test is biased to give favorable results.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Just another point of information- if you go through the Emode matchmaking area and check out the profiles, 120-140 IQ ratings are quite widespread, if not universal. I guess the test is biased to give favorable results.

Yes, because nobody will buy a IQ test showing that his IQ is low. There is not enough difficults questions in it. Two years ago i made a test, on a magazine, who was more scientific, and where time was limited. Some questions where very difficult, and thus more selective. The test here is not enought selective : most of the questions are easy, and only a couple of them can make a difference.

I guess that anybody who buyed the full version of this test should minor his result by a 20 points factor