I hate to do this but....iBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What's the latest iBook buzz for MacWorld?

I'll be purchasing a new iBook in the next couple of days unless it looks like there will be an update. Not because I want the newest, latest, greatest, but because an update will likely mean I can save a couple hundred bucks on my new machine. I'm on a budget here!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Same for me, except that I don't expect an update. They just updated it in - what was it? early June? So unless there's something very cool they want to keep secret for now, there won't be an update.

Perhaps 10.2 will be out by then though, so I could save my bucks for that.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    seedubseedub Posts: 3member
    Yeah, I don't expect anything either, just covering my a$$...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Don't worry about an update. Since they were recently updated I can't see a new iBook at MWNY.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    If they can somehow push the G3 past 700MHz, you'll most likely see updates after MWNY. If they're holding back to upgrade to G4, I'd have to say early-to-mid 2003, just by virtue of the G5's anticipated release. Apple is not crazy enough to release a $2000 iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Somebody from Apple or Motorola was once quoted in MacWorld magazine as saying they plan to have products using G3, G4, and G5 processors all at the same time for at least a little while.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect an iBook update for a while. Maybe early next year, or in the fall this year to get holiday shoppers. Either way, not very likely in the next month.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    A recent interview with someone from Apple stated that the iBook will be using a G3 for sometime, and that there weren't going to be any updates in the new future due to the recent updates that just happend.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    By the way - whether top-drawer performance is your goal or not - the new 700 mhz ibooks are quite snappy. I just installed 512 megs more ram this morning and the thing just flies.

For a budget-buyer (as I was)I needed to get an ibook, as the ti's were prohibitively expensive (and clunky and fragile). I sprung for the 700mhz because of the combo drive (which works rather nicely), but there are other threads (sorry, no links) that discuss the benefits of a 700 over a 600, and, in terms of speed, they're not that amazing - largely because the 600, too, is pretty light on its feet (thank you Sahara).

So basically - don't feel bad about buying an ibook now, for any reason. RAM is cheap as hell these days, and with a little extra, the new books are just fantastic.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    seedubseedub Posts: 3member
    So I've done it, with a spin. Whipped down to MicroCenter here in Dallas, and they had an older 600MHz DVD that was their demo. 2 scratches, no dead pixels...like new pretty much. $1050 and I am a proud papa. I know it only has 8MB video RAM, which was a minor concern, but I'm over it and can pick up 512MB is RAM for the price difference between my buy and a new 600MHz CD-ROM machine.

Thanks for the input, kids!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bernardbernard Posts: 59member
    The ibooks will be bumped when the tibooks are, me bets that new G3 (750fx) is available in 1ghz by now but no way apple is gona have higher clock speed ibooks over tibooks even if they are G3's the real question is can the current ibook motherboard run a 133 bus. Think about it the G3 is a 4 stage, the G4 is now 7?. apple crippled the first ibook (so not to be faster than a ti400) with a 66 bus without changing the board the released a 600/100 the first one could have been a 500/100. bus speed is a big factor when you only have 256k L2 cache.