BuyMusic.com: Where Art Thou?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
See this As The Apple Turns story (the bottom one).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Ahahahah! That was vicious, but deserving. We will look back at this and laugh? again!

But when are the real threats to the iTMS ever going to show their faces?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Will we ever learn the sales figures of BuyMusic.com? Since they're a private company, do they have to tell us?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I realize Buymusic.com sucks and is a blatent rip off of iTMS, but is it's lack of success because Windows users are less honest than Mac users?

In other words, are Mac users less likely to steal music and hence have made iTMS a success?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I realize Buymusic.com sucks and is a blatent rip off of iTMS, but is it's lack of success because Windows users are less honest than Mac users?

In other words, are Mac users less likely to steal music and hence have made iTMS a success?

Sure, a little bit. You can also assume the average Mac user is trnedier, has a higher income, etc...

But the biggest thing is BuyMusic's lack of branding. The Apple brand is what makes the iTunes Music Store trustworthy.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I saw a billboard the other day, it was the same guitar ad that apple uses, only the guitar was smashed and "buymusic.com" was scratched in with the slogo of "music downloads for your PC"

(I also saw a new iPod billboard, with the colored backround that day)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I saw a billboard the other day, it was the same guitar ad that apple uses, only the guitar was smashed and "buymusic.com" was scratched in with the slogo of "music downloads for your PC"

(I also saw a new iPod billboard, with the colored backround that day)

they can position themselves as "counter-culture" all they want, but their service still sucks, and no one is buying it. iTunes just hit 10,000,000 paid downloads with ~4% of the computer market.

who's smashing whose guitar??
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    10,000,000 wow.

I don't think even Apple expected these kinds of sales. I buy a CD from it maybe every month or two...glad to see others are doing their part more then I!

~4% of the market and 10 milly in 4months. I know it won't transfer over to the windows side the same but man...if Apple makes iTunes for windows as well as iTunes for OS X then we can at least hope to see some good figures.

"who's smashed who's guitar?" That is the new official moto of anti-buymusic.com stuff
  • Reply 8 of 9
    It's one thing for them to compete with iTMS (which they don't do), but another thing completly to attempt to block Mac users. Not that I would ever use their service anway, but the fact that even if I wanted to, I couldn't really turns me off to it even more. I know that we could use it if we use IE, but who would want to do something like that? I had to use IE today to check a bank account (it won't work in Safari). Even on my cable modem, it was sloooowww...the launch time, the page load time...it sucked. Safari is snappy and quick, I love it. Every time I use an infirior wintell product, I thank my lucky stars that I have Mac. Nothing beats them, nothing.

Edit: I also had stuff popping up at me right and left selling me webcams and other useless crap (you know what I'm talking about). I forgot about popups after using safari for so long. I never have to deal with them anymore. I love Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Edit: I also had stuff popping up at me right and left selling me webcams and other useless crap (you know what I'm talking about). I forgot about popups after using safari for so long. I never have to deal with them anymore. I love Apple.

...if you're getting pop-ups on your banks website you may want to think about switching banks