Color Ipods?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know, I know, this has probably been asked a million times; But has Jobs ever said there will be No color ipods.... the reason I am asking is because I thought there might be a small chance that the new color scheme at the apple store might be a hint that colors are coming. Just a shot in the dark but you never know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    My thoughts when I first saw the new ad campaign, was that perhaps colored iPods were around the corner.

but, this new ad campaign, focuses on the fact that the WHITE iPod is what stands out.

I still think an aluminum or graphite iPod would be sick looking though.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I agree. It says "Choose Color" though.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Would it be possible for a company to manufacture different colored faces? I wonder why no one has done it(i might be wrong, maybe someone has)?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

My thoughts when I first saw the new ad campaign, was that perhaps colored iPods were around the corner.

Yeah I thought this as well, and mentioned it in "Apple Debuts New iPod Print Ad"

Quote:

Is anyone else thinking coloured iPod's? a la flavoured iMac's or is Apple to far past that now?

A reply from rok came saying this:

Quote:

yes, but isn't apple currently fending off a court case from a company who alleges to have shown apple the technology*, and they went ahead and just reverse-engineered it for their own patent application?

wouldn't be the first time.

anyway, they may be holding off on that until they can get the legality straightened out, "Microsoft-style." (i.e. Apple legal "so who can we make the settlement check out to?")

*(edit: by the way, in case you hadn't heard about this, you probably think my post is pretty dumb -- patenting colored cases??? actually, the technology that apple tried to patent is cryptically referred to in the patent application as a technology that allows the case color to change, according to the user's input. feeling in a red mood? great, dial "red" and the case changes to red. not sure if this is achieved via backlighting or what, but there isn't much on the technology itself in the patent application apple filed, so that's all i got...)

It would be really cool though
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

iSkin

Well... I was actually thinking it is strange that someone hasn't just made color face plates -- like the actual faceplae of the Ipod not just a cover, especially considering that it is just plastic... maybe the touch sensitive buttons are tricky?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, I think the white faceplate on the iPod is on there pretty good and removing it might really do a number on the buttons and all But yes, it would be kinda cool if the iPod - like many cell phones - had an easily- (and safely) removable faceplate, allowing little companies to pop up and design lots and lots of cool snap-on replacements for about $5 or so: colors, patterns, translucents, sports logos/schemes, music, art, abstracts, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    FYI: I phoned up the Apple Store UK to ask if it would be possible to return the 15GB iPod I recently received and be sent a 20GB as a replacement. I thought I'd just see what the anwser would be...

I wasn't even sure if I wanted to upgrade cos despite not having used my iPod yet (I'm not bringing it anywhere near my WinPC - I'm waiting to get my first Mac) - its become a very personal possession...

Anyway - My 15GB was delivered to my house on Sep 3rd. I phoned up the Apple Store Sales Dept. and they put me through to After-Sales who deal with returns. I asked 3 times whether my iPod being engraved/personalised would mean I couldn't exchange it and every time the Apple Rep said "it didn't matter". I fell within 10 days of the shipping date so it didn't matter!!! But I would have to pay a £40 restocking fee. And (I assume) I would have to pay £15 to have the new 'Pod engraved.

I have until 13 Sep to make my final decision. But I'm not going to upgrade. It's not that £55 isn't worth the extra 5GB (although it's not ), it's that my 15GB is my iPod, and I gotta stop wanting every new spangly techy-thing that is shoved under my nose.

If at this point I could get the 20GB for free I don't think I would. Me and my 15GB have just become collector's items.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

I have until 13 Sep to make my final decision. But I'm not going to upgrade. It's not that £55 isn't worth the extra 5GB (although it's not ), it's that my 15GB is my iPod, and I gotta stop wanting every new spangly techy-thing that is shoved under my nose.

If at this point I could get the 20GB for free I don't think I would. Me and my 15GB have just become collector's items.

Good choice.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Good choice.

/me looks at scratched up bashed up 5GB iPod and smiles.

Remembers what he was doing the week the iPod and girlfriend came into his life ...