I don't want ,mac anymore, but I want to keep my email address....is this possible?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have .mac and never use it. But I have my current @mac.com email address used for everything and it would take a good day or two to change all that.

is there any way to keep it. Does apple offer a deal less than 100 bucks for Just email?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EastSide9

I have .mac and never use it. But I have my current @mac.com email address used for everything and it would take a good day or two to change all that.

is there any way to keep it. Does apple offer a deal less than 100 bucks for Just email?

Thanks for any help.

AFAIK, there is no way to keep your email address only. There may be a way to convert it to an email only account if you have someone who's willing to let you do that with their account. But since you've already got a full account, I'm not sure if you can downgrade to an email only account. Just pony up the $100 if you really want to keep your email address. Otherwise, start sending out change of address notices now.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, that's the main complaint most people have with .mac... most of them had mac.com email addresses that they wanted to keep but they'd be willing to give up all the special features (even their iDisks) and pay a small fee to keep their mac.com email addresses. But Apple's offer is an all-or-nothing deal. Pretty stupid, really. I think they'd get more respect, more name recognition, and more customers if they had $10-20/year email-only accounts.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Yeah, that's the main complaint most people have with .mac... most of them had mac.com email addresses that they wanted to keep but they'd be willing to give up all the special features (even their iDisks) and pay a small fee to keep their mac.com email addresses. But Apple's offer is an all-or-nothing deal. Pretty stupid, really. I think they'd get more respect, more name recognition, and more customers if they had $10-20/year email-only accounts.

Maybe, but the point of .mac isn't to get people to use a .mac email address. It's all about what it does for you. .mac tools have been invaluable for me and it's worth the cost. There are hundreds of other places you can get an email address from. I know, you want a .mac address because all the cool cats got 'em, but Apple doesn't need name recognition. They need people to see that it's "easier on a mac", and nothing shows that off better than whipping out a schedule in iCal, syncing your addressbook and bookmarks so you have them everywhere, laying out a photo album and ordering prints easily, the best webmail interface available, etc., etc.

I don't think Apple SHOULD offer email only accounts. They should all be full or nothing, just because once you use the tools, you can't go back. If you don't benefit from what .mac has to offer, there are a ton of other places you can get reliable email from (or you can get your own domain, which is cheaper).
  • Reply 4 of 21
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I like all the features of .Mac, they grow on me more and more every day, but it is way too overpriced. $49 is great, but I think that it really should be priced at $39. I think that this is the sweet spot for .Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I like all the features of .Mac, they grow on me more and more every day, but it is way too overpriced. $49 is great, but I think that it really should be priced at $39. I think that this is the sweet spot for .Mac.

How does one determine the cost of what something should be? By looking at alternatives? By deciding what they'd be willing to pay? By pulling numbers out of a hat?

1) There are no alternatives to .mac if you use it to its fullest extent.

2) What any given person would be willing to pay varies greatly depending on a lot of factors, not the least of which is income and age.

3) I won't say anything about this.

As I said, there are no viable alternatives to .mac and so Apple sets the bar here. Just like they did with the iPod and everyone cried and moaned about how overpriced it was. Many thought its price would cause it to flop. They were wrong. We still pay a premium for iPods but they are still selling like hotcakes (I went to 4 different stores over the weekend - 2 compusas and 2 best buys - and they had a total of 10 iPods between 'em).

Apple will judge the market and it looks like $100 is the right price to them. Think about it for a second: they've already offered 100 prints from Kodak for free ($40 if you decide that you wanted to get the prints from Wal-Mart instead), Virex (somewhere around $50), numerous games and they're offering the sims ($30), EQ ($30) or $20 off a purchase just for renewing, Sticky Brain 2 ($40), etc. Just for being a member. This doesn't count Backup (which has saved my ass more than once), iSync (saving me the trouble of syncing my phone, computer, pda and web addressbook) and email. Not to mention all the other stuff like easily mappable web-based storage and homepage...

Come on, do you want them to PAY YOU to use the thing? That's what it sounds like....
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Come on, do you want them to PAY YOU to use the thing? That's what it sounds like....

No I want to pay $20 a year for a 5 MB email account and a 10 MB iDisk.

I almost never play games so those games you listed really wouldn't be useful for me... I don't have a camera so the prints are worthless as well... Macs don't get viruses and I'd never buy Virex anyway so that doesn't contribute to the value... really it's just the convenience factor of bookmark/address book syncing, email, and iDisk (for me at least). It's a great deal if you can make use of all those features, but it's not particularly good if you can't.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

No I want to pay $20 a year for a 5 MB email account and a 10 MB iDisk.

Then go someplace else. That's not what .mac's about.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Then go someplace else. That's not what .mac's about.

Right it's about making you pay for lots of stuff that you'll never use (well, that I will never use, and many other people also will never use). And iDisks are far more convenient than the equivalent amount of web storage offered by various other places.

I guess Apple will never be flexible on the issue of .mac but it would be nice, I know I'd buy a .mac Lite account if such a thing existed.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Right it's about making you pay for lots of stuff that you'll never use (well, that I will never use, and many other people also will never use).

So don't use it. Go someplace you can get what you will use. For those that do use the stuff, it's great. I use it everyday and I suspect a great many of us do.

Do you always use every bit of everything you pay for? Every single program on your computer is used by you? Do you then complain about wanting a cheaper deal because you don't use it?

Quote:

And iDisks are far more convenient than the equivalent amount of web storage offered by various other places.

That's the point, isn't it? You can get a bunch of .mac stuff from other places, but it's all about the convenience. .mac is the only place that offers it all.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

<snip>

Okay, you win
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Okay, you win

• Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Don't get cocky, just because you won the argument doesn't mean I agree with you. I still want .Mac Lite for $20 or $25 a year and a small iDisk and mail and that's it. But you won so nevermind all that.

<muttering under breath>stupid high and mighty .mac users... it's always just "pay more" and "look at me I'm rich" and "you don't deserve .mac because you're poor"</muttering>

• Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Don't get cocky, just because you won the argument doesn't mean I agree with you. I still want .Mac Lite for $20 or $25 a year and a small iDisk and mail and that's it. But you won so nevermind all that.

<muttering under breath>stupid high and mighty .mac users... it's always just "pay more" and "look at me I'm rich" and "you don't deserve .mac because you're poor"</muttering>

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to be cheaper. Wouldn't we all? But that said, I do believe that it's worth the money, if only because it does what nothing else does: makes my somewhat complicated life easier. (I'm still in grad school, so "rich" and "I am" don't ever go in the same sentence unless there's a "not" in between them... :/ )
  • Reply 14 of 21
    what are some cheaper alternatives?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

"I like all the features of .Mac, they grow on me more and more every day, but it is way too overpriced. $49 is great, but I think that it really should be priced at $39. I think that this is the sweet spot for .Mac."

It's $99.99 a year. \
  • Reply 16 of 21
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    It's not as good as a .Mac address. but MacMail has my vote for being a bargain...ie Free...

Give it a try..

http://www.MacMail.com
  • Reply 17 of 21
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    .mac is a ripoff. i was willing to try it out for $49 the first year, but won't be renewing my subscription. total waste of money.

the "features" that it offers are just one step above worthless to me. i kept hpoing it would evolve into something useful, but in reality it never did. the iDisk was ok, but ftp will get me by. that was the only truly useful feature from my perspective.

*shrugs*

oh well, if they ever really turn .Mac into something worthwhile i'll subsrcibe again. for now i'll let my money do the arguing for me.

edit: speaking of, maybe i'm just tired but where do you go to cancel your .Mac account anyway?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Anyone know how to cancel .Mac?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Longhorn

Anyone know how to cancel .Mac?

If you currently have a subscription, you might as well just let it run out, and not renew. I don't think you'll get a refund by ending early.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Your .Mac membership will be automatically renewed on October 06, 2003 PDT. Your credit card will be charged and your thank you gift will be sent within 4 weeks after your anniversary date.

Please take a minute to review your account settings. If you want to change any of the details regarding your account, click here to update your Renewal Settings first.

In an e-mail I got. As far as I can tell, there's no easy way to stop this.

Following that link just lets me update my credit card information. Not cancell it.