Weird Stuff: Can't Download Via Any Browser

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I've suddenly been unable to download anything via any of my browsers. I tried dl'ing something off of Versiontracker and Safari pops up its dl manager and the icon appears, but it says "cannot create file". I go to several other sites (Mac OS X Apps, etc), same deal. So I fire up Camino, in case Safari is hosed. Same problem. Ditto for IE. Any ideas how I might troubleshoot this one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Just as an update, I tried via dialup and still no dice. So I assume that means its NOT my connection?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    try doing the persmission repair in diskutility...?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

try doing the persmission repair in diskutility...?

I did it using Onyx....should I try it using the install disk and Disk Utility instead?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    A permission repair will work from the drive you're booted from. You can check your hard drive even if you're booted into OS X from that very drive. It looks like Onyx doesn't have its own permissions repair protocol, it just makes it easier for you to use the one built into Disk Utility. But you might want to try doing it with Disk Utility anyway, just in case. Also you can check to see what the permissions are for the desktop folder. If they're not read and write, that would be your problem.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Bingo. I checked the ownership/permissions via Get Info...and the owner is listed as system. Weird. What is the Desktop Folder normally supposed to be? The way I have it now (after changing) is:

Owner: myusername (Me)

Access: Read & Write

Group: admin

Access: Read only

Others: Read only
  • Reply 6 of 10
    This happened to me. I think.

Are you getting an Error Type 95 message or some such popping up? 'Unable to mount'? If you are it's a (seeimgly) spontaneous netinfo ****up of some kind for which there are a number of fixes, some of which seem to work for some people.

What exactly happens when your download's done?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Oops. I really should read the thread before I post a useless reply.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

Bingo. I checked the ownership/permissions via Get Info...and the owner is listed as system. Weird. What is the Desktop Folder normally supposed to be? The way I have it now (after changing) is:

Owner: myusername (Me)

Access: Read & Write

Group: admin

Access: Read only

Others: Read only

you are correct. your desktop folder (the one within your home folder) should be owned by you.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    removed my answer because it proved to be correct and was done before I even read this evil threat.

remember, PERMISSION REPAIR is your friend!

• Reply 10 of 10
    Oh I agree!

However, permission repair did NOT fix this. Not using Onyx or Disk Utility. I had to use Get Info in the Finder and do it myself. Ahh well, at least its fixed.

Oh and for whoever asked, all that was happening was that I would click a download link, and then the download window would pop up with the icon for the Stuffit file (or whatever), with the worlds "document could not be created". No error messages or anything. (shrug)