control alt delete restart for Mac's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is the control alt delete for mac's?

My computer running OS 9 here at work is freezing every so often and I don't know how to do anthing besides turning it off.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I use Command - Option - Escape to bring up the Force Quit options. Don't know if this will help you.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by millsdude

What is the control alt delete for mac's?

My computer running OS 9 here at work is freezing every so often and I don't know how to do anthing besides turning it off.

Thanks for the help.

It's either ctrl-apple-powerkey or option-apple-powerkey. Lots of Macs also have a tiny recessed reset button somewhere on the back or side, too.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    also, get EscapePod from Ambrosia. saved me a ton of times. Lets you do a few last-ditch key-commands to force quit even some of the nastiest hangs.

Do a search at versiontracker.com and install it. Its free.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by millsdude

Make sure you don't have sick mouse syndrome. I spent weeks trying to find the bug in my system that was causing rampant freezes, only to discover that I needed a new mouse ? problem solved.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    remember he is running OS 9! not X

that means "escape pod" won't work... (will it??)

command(apple)-option-esc will bring up the force quit menu

command-ctrl-power will reboot the computer (Control-openapple-reset for all you Apple ][gs fans...)

command-opt-shift-power will shut down the computer

control-eject will bring up the shut down dialog

thats about all the 3ish finger salutes I can think of on the mac that you would use when the computer is hung... there are a few more that work for different things on startup... but I don't think that concerns you...

the force quit menu will work most of the time...

also there is the debug prompt... but I don't remember the command for it... i think it is command-option-power, but I am not sure...

hth
  • Reply 6 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If you search the Mac OS Help for "shortcuts" you can read about them all.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    If the keyboard that came with your mac doesn't have them, you should be running OS X anyways
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Hmm? is there a keyboard shortcut for restarting in Mac OS X?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    A Summary of Keys.

OS 9 keys (when things crash)

First try Command (Cmd)+Option+Escape. Click 'Force Quit.' If that doesn't work, try Cmd+Control+Power Key (Power key = vertical dash above curvy line or little right-pointing arrow). And if that doesn't work, somethings really gone wrong. Try pressing and holding the power button on the computer for a while (on old PowerMacs it's a round button on the back, new machines it looks like the keyboard's power key.)

OS 9 keys (when things are fine)

Don't use Cmd+Option+Esc to quit programs generally. When they haven't crashed, use Cmd+Q or File>Quit. As for restarting, switch to the Finder and choose Special>Restart or Special>Shut Down. Also, on many Macs pressing the power key will bring up a box allowing you to restart or shut down.

OS X keys

Cmd+Q: Quits. Cmd+Option+Esc: Force quit box. Cmd+Control+Power: Restart. Cmd+Shift+Q: Log Out.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    More keys:

OS X:

Ctrl + option + command + eject = shutdown

Ctrl + Command + eject = restart
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Ctrl + eject = Bring up a dialogbox to choose from sleep, restart and shutdown.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by C-Bear

Make sure you don't have sick mouse syndrome. I spent weeks trying to find the bug in my system that was causing rampant freezes, only to discover that I needed a new mouse ? problem solved.

Hmmm, someone else who has had that! Did you have a Logitech by any chance?

I had just bought my (then) new 14inch iBook and Dual Optical Logitech mouse and I would get random crashes/kernel panics. I thought it was Starcarft Carbon port (since I was playing it all the time) but then I had also installed a clean copy of Jag when it came out, no drivers installed, and blammo KP.

I went back to my old MS Optical Mouse and never had a roblem since. Bummer.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Of course if you just read the help it would all be known. It's in the help files. RTFM
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Hmmm, someone else who has had that! Did you have a Logitech by any chance?

I had just bought my (then) new 14inch iBook and Dual Optical Logitech mouse and I would get random crashes/kernel panics. I thought it was Starcarft Carbon port (since I was playing it all the time) but then I had also installed a clean copy of Jag when it came out, no drivers installed, and blammo KP.

I went back to my old MS Optical Mouse and never had a roblem since. Bummer.

Is Logitech a third party brand? If so, then no ? I was dealing with an original three-year-old iMac mouse. Felt pretty foolish after all that tinkering with Extensions, installs and reinstalls, only to plug a new mouse in and be fine again.

Then again, as long as things are cool.