Post your speeds - Calculate 50 Million Factorials

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Best topic ever.

Hands down the winner.

And yes, I am just saying that because I am a programmer.
  • Reply 42 of 146
    anyone managed to try the binaries yet ? Especially the G5 one!
  • Reply 43 of 146
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The department of old compilers gives you:

Duron 1300, running Win2K, using the awesome Visual Studio 98 compiler: 37s

PowerBook 12", gcc 3.1: 26s

PowerBook 12", gcc 3.3: 25s

Illustrating that the Visual Studio 98 compiler is not very quick, even when set to fastest. Anyone know where I can find a faster, free, Windows compiler ?
  • Reply 44 of 146
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Xserve, dual [email protected], gcc 3.1:

unthreaded, no optimization: 32

unthreaded, -O3: 17

threaded, no optimization: 16

threaded, -O3: 9
  • Reply 45 of 146
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

Xserve, dual [email protected], gcc 3.1:

unthreaded, no optimization: 32

unthreaded, -O3: 17

threaded, no optimization: 16

threaded, -O3: 9

Dual Xserve 1.33 with multithreading and -O3 is lowest result so far!
  • Reply 46 of 146
    Hmm this is interesting, I just ran it on a G4 350 upgraded to a 1.2GHz G4 via sonnet and a 120GB ATA133 on a ata133 card via PCI slot. It actually ran FASTER than the MDD 1.25 we have listed in this thread

It got 18 seconds.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Well, top on the Mac shows only one process, which it is (but the process has two threads), and shows the processor usage from 0% to 200% on a dualie.

Fixing the sequential thing I'm not really sure what is going on. Let's see what the 4-thread results are. When looking at top, note what it says under the "#TH" (threads) column.

4-thread results:

Code:

./threaded_factorial

Creating Thread Number: 0

Creating Thread Number: 1

Creating Thread Number: 2

Creating Thread Number: 3

Loop Done; Time=73 secs for thread#:1, Loops=12500000

Loop Done; Time=77 secs for thread#:2, Loops=12500000

Loop Done; Time=78 secs for thread#:0, Loops=12500000

Loop Done; Time=57 secs for thread#:3, Loops=12500000

Top does show 5 threads. The first three (1,2,0) seemed to end at the same time; then, there was a long delay before the last one. Odd.
  • Reply 48 of 146
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Some more G5 results (again, from a 1.8 GHz, 512 MB, processor set to highest).

Now, this morning, with the first file (unthreaded_factorial) posted I got:

Quote:

Start: 1063156763 End: 1063156773

i= 50000001

Time=10

Now, this means 10 secs, right?

So I got home and followed the instructions for the binaries set up the G5 one (threaded_g5). I used "chmod 755", typed "cd" to go to my Desktop where the files are and ran it via the terminal with ./ (which I'm spelling out just in case I made any obvious mistakes I need corrected ). I got:

Quote:

Loop Done; Time=25 secs for thread#:0, Loops=25000000

Loop Done; Time=25 secs for thread#:1, Loops=25000000

So is this actually SLOWER as it looks? Why would that be?

For comparison I tried to set up the other 2 binaries, but when I try to run them, I'm told "Permision denied". Huh? I ran "chmod 755" after I did "cd desktop", but that shouldn't matter, should it? Again, I know nothing about UNIX so all help would be helpful .
  • Reply 49 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Hmm this is interesting, I just ran it on a G4 350 upgraded to a 1.2GHz G4 via sonnet and a 120GB ATA133 on a ata133 card via PCI slot. It actually ran FASTER than the MDD 1.25 we have listed in this thread

It got 18 seconds.

Hey! That's mine!

Who knows? Both have cache running @ processor speed (and my assumption is that the benchmark will run entirely in cache). I wasn't running anything else in the background, either.

The only thing I can think of is the version of cc I'm running? cc --version shows:

cc (GCC) 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)

Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

In any case, enjoy! Your upgraded G4 beat a single-processor Xeon 2.8GHz system in this benchmark!

-John
  • Reply 50 of 146
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Dual Xserve 1.33 with multithreading and -O3 is lowest result so far!

My XLC results don't count?
  • Reply 51 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

Hey! That's mine!

Who knows? Both have cache running @ processor speed (and my assumption is that the benchmark will run entirely in cache). I wasn't running anything else in the background, either.

The only thing I can think of is the version of cc I'm running? cc --version shows:

cc (GCC) 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)

Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

In any case, enjoy! Your upgraded G4 beat a single-processor Xeon 2.8GHz system in this benchmark!

-John

Addendum: Sure enough, running a binary compiled with GCC 3.3 (from page 1 of this thread) gave me a result of 18 seconds. Whew!

-John
  • Reply 52 of 146
    Ah yes, Developer tools are not installed on that machine I ran it on it (the upgraded one) so I had to use the binary from earlier on in the thread.
  • Reply 53 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

My XLC results don't count?

Wups, I overlooked that part of your post.
  • Reply 54 of 146
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Some more G5 results (again, from a 1.8 GHz, 512 MB, processor set to highest).

So is this actually SLOWER as it looks? Why would that be?

OK, that's the first Mac anomalous result. Not having a G5, I can't run it, but I will take a look at the file if Shark will do it. At least we know something is wrong with the compile, because it's the only thing changed.

EDIT: As far as the permissions, do an "ls -l" on the directory that the files are in and post the output.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    Quote:

EDIT: As far as the permissions, do an "ls -l" on the directory that the files are in and post the output. [/B]

I think I see the problem now, though I have no idea how to fix it: the files I can run have as permissions: "-rwxr-xr-x" while the ones I can't have "-rw-r--r--".
  • Reply 56 of 146
    Quote:

OK, that's the first Mac anomalous result. Not having a G5, I can't run it, but I will take a look at the file if Shark will do it. At least we know something is wrong with the compile, because it's the only thing changed.

Yeah, I thought my numbers looked strange. I wonder what things will look like if you're able to fix things?
  • Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:

I think I see the problem now, though I have no idea how to fix it: the files I can run have as permissions: "-rwxr-xr-x" while the ones I can't have "-rw-r--r--".

Somehow your permissions didn't get to those files - there is no "x" (for execute) in the first group (user).

Do the chmod 755 <filename> again. In Terminal, type 'chmod 755 ' (note the trailing space) and then drag the file from the Finder into the Terminal window and hit Return.
  • Reply 58 of 146
    Quote:

Somehow your permissions didn't get to those files - there is no "x" (for execute) in the first group (user).

Do the chmod 755 <filename> again. In Terminal, type 'chmod 755 ' (note the trailing space) and then drag the file from the Finder into the Terminal window and hit Return.

Oops! That was it. So now I've been able to run all four binaries, with the unthreaded still being the fastest (should this be the case?).

(In order of speed, from slowest to fastest. Note that a couple of these results were about 1 sec slower until I ran them a second [and subsequent] times)

"threaded_no-opim":

Loop Done; Time=44 secs for thread#:0, Loops=25000000

Loop Done; Time=45 secs for thread#:1, Loops=25000000

"threaded_g5":

"threaded_std":

Loop Done; Time=10 secs for thread#:1, Loops=25000000

Loop Done; Time=10 secs for thread#:0, Loops=25000000

"unthreaded_factorial":

Start: 1063167093 End: 1063167103

i= 50000001

Time=10

There you go: discuss and explain away! This non-techie loves learning what all these numbers mean (though I can appreicate the fun of factorials; back in high school my friends and I used to see whose calculator could run 69! the fastest, since that was the biggest number they could handle).

Another thing thing of note is that if I had any other apps besides the Terminal running the times would be longer, but the G5 seemed to be affected the most (going as high as 31 or 32 secs per thread).
  • Reply 59 of 146
    Quote:

Oops! That was it. So now I've been able to run all four binaries, with the unthreaded still being the fastest (should this be the case?).

(In order of speed, from slowest to fastest. Note that a couple of these results were about 1 sec slower until I ran them a second [and subsequent] times)

"threaded_no-opim":

Loop Done; Time=44 secs for thread#:0, Loops=25000000

Loop Done; Time=45 secs for thread#:1, Loops=25000000

"threaded_g5":

"threaded_std":

Loop Done; Time=10 secs for thread#:1, Loops=25000000

Loop Done; Time=10 secs for thread#:0, Loops=25000000

"unthreaded_factorial":

Time=10

There you go: discuss and explain away! This non-techie loves learning what all these numbers mean (though I can appreicate the fun of factorials; back in high school my friends and I used to see whose calculator could run 69! the fastest, since that was the biggest number they could handle).

Another thing thing of note is that if I had any other apps besides the Terminal running the times would be longer, but the G5 seemed to be affected the most (going as high as 31 or 32 secs per thread).

OK - maybe it's not as bizarre as we thought.

First, the threading should not help your times - you have a single-processor machine. So it is not surprising that the unthreaded result of 10 seconds is the same as the threaded_std result (I think the threaded_std compile was with optimization set to -O3, the setting for speed at the expense of memory use).

Also, with the exception of the "G5-optimized" code, we are seeing that your 1.8 single G5 runs the test at basically the same speed as a 1.0 dual G4. This means to me that the integer non-Altivec arithmetic is about the same between the G4 and the G5. Where the G5 will kick ass on the G4 is on real-world apps where memory has to be loaded and processed.

The G5 optimized run still isn't explained. I think either Apple is wrong about the settings, or there might be a bug in the new G5 code-generation part of the compiler.

What we should do is compile for G5 with IBM's compiler. Eugene got 9 seconds on his run.

Anybody know the IBM link? I can do a cross-compile for the G5 and upload the executable.
  • Reply 60 of 146
    400Mhz B+W G3

[xxx-Computer:~/desktop] hawk% cc -v

Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.1/specs

Thread model: posix

Apple Computer, Inc. GCC version 1175, based on gcc version 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)

[xxx-Computer:~/desktop] hawk% cc -O3 -o unthreaded_factorial unthreaded_factorial.c

[xxx-Computer:~/desktop] hawk% ./unthreaded_factorial

Start: 1063175301 End: 1063175373

i= 50000001

Time=72

[xxx-Computer:~/desktop] hawk% cc -O3 -lpthread -o unthreaded_factorial unthreaded_factorial.c

Start: 1063175807 End: 1063175879

i= 50000001

Time=72

IBM XL C Version 6.0, XL C++ Version 6.0 for Mac OS X, Beta

[xxx-Computer:~/desktop] hawk% xlc -O5 -o unthreaded_factorial unthreaded_factorial.c

Start: 1063170913 End: 1063170958

i= 50000001

Time=45