Sony Ericsson T610

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm looking at getting a new mobile phone, and the SE T610 is currently top of the list. I know that a few people here have them, so I'd be grateful if anyone could give me some feedback on what they're like, particularly as I'm a long time Nokia user. One aspect I'd like to know about is what is the battery life like with light use but leaving it switched on 24/7? Any other comments?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    I just got done evaluating one in the hopes of switching to it on T-Mobile. The phone was great. Menus were quick, much quicker than the T68i, but at times there was a lag. Not annoying or anything, but still there. Some T610 are rumored to have a hissing sound, but firmware updates have fixed this issue so check the firmware and make sure youre up to date. Reception was good, but the GSM network around here anyway was not as strong as CDMA. The phone could send a d receive calls inside my office which to date has only been reliably done by Sprint. Battery life was a round 2-3 days with regular useage. I was on it with BT and Powerbook every lunch trying to evaluate the data service offered by T-Mobile. Overall, I believe the phone to be excellent. Good range of features including Bluethooth, biult in e-mail client that allows for POP, IMAP... mail addresses to be checked, easy to use and understand menus and good battery life. In the end I terminated service befoer the 14 day trial period was up for one single reason. As of yet, GSM does not have the saturation that other networks do so getting signal in BFEgypt was impossible. If you spend all your time in a metro area, for the most part it will work, although there are some exceptions like deep inside buildings, elevators and such. Even with all the cool features and gizmos, the primary reason for the mobile phone is to have a means for communication, especially in an emergency. Since Mr Murphy is always around I felt it wasnt safe to have a service that would not afford me the ability to summon help from anywhere my normal routines take me. Give it a few years and GSM will have the same saturation as the other networks and I will go back to it. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I can't get the T610 to work with my .mac email account. If you have managed it please would you post the settings.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Sorry. Never tried .Mac. However, the only funky thing that had to be done for POP addresses was to have your login name listed twice. I cant remember the exact settings, but there is a area to fill in login/account info and there is another that seems like the name (like when you receive a note from someone and it sais joe blow rather than [email protected] in the header). Both of these had to be the login name for the account or it didnt work. Now that I have made it clear as mud, hope it helps.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    i got the phone just over a month ago and i've been immensely pleased.

it's a beautiful phone. i show it to people and they kinda get that "iPod" look on their face and say "wow - that's a beautiful phone". i've previously only had clamshell phones but this one is actually smaller than my previous Sprint clamshell phone. fits in my pocket easily.

the screen is excellent. some have complained about difficulty seeing it in bright daylight, which is true, but it's rarely become a real problem. the color are vibrant and the resolution is pretty clear. the interface is clean, attractive, and pretty responsive.

it's got great features - i bought it mainly so i could use it with iSync, and with the Salling Clicker (if you don't know what this is, you absolutely must get it!!) see it at http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling...ker/index.html

i have used it with Bluetooth to Sync my addresses and contacts without a hitch. didn't have to type a single number into my phone, which was great.

the predictive text for messaging seems much better than on my Sprint hone, and is much more wieldy than on my Sprint phone as well.

i'd echo the concerns about coverage - i live in San Francisco and even here there are "dead zones". not really any worse than my Sprint phone, to be honest, but it is a small issue.

all in all i give the phone 2 very enthusiastic thumbs up. functional, beautiful, sleek, and cool. oh yeah and it's got a camera.

sorry to be so long winded!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    All,

Thanks for the replies . It seems that people here agree with the reviews I've read that the T610 is a great phone.

As far as GSM coverage is concerned, that shouldn't be an issue, as I'm in the UK, and we use GSM everywhere (both 900 and 1800).

Someone I know who has one said that they find it a bit fiddly to use - how do you guys find it?

Finally, how long does the battery charge last? My current Nokia 6310i will last for up to a week before it needs to be recharged, but then I don't use it that much. I suspect that with a camera and decent wap browser I may end up using a T610 a lot more though . Can someone confirm that the alarm can be set and it will still sound even if the phone is switched off? That would save a lot of power, as I use my phone as an alarm clock, so I could leave it switched off overnight...

Thanks,

Dave.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I'm looking a this phone for a client too. I read on the MacNN boards about a potential deal killer though. Reportedly, the t610's address book does not support street addresses, just names and phone numbers. It syncs with Address Book fine via iSync, it just ignores the street address info.

This is a major drawback for anyone looking for basic PDA functionality from this phone. Can anyone confirm?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

and with the Salling Clicker (if you don't know what this is, you absolutely must get it!!)

Salling Clicker is great.

Quote:

Someone I know who has one said that they find it a bit fiddly to use - how do you guys find it?

It's the price for being so compact. I think that the tradeoff is fine: once I got used to the stick/button placement I have o problems with it.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

This is a major drawback for anyone looking for basic PDA functionality from this phone. Can anyone confirm?

Unfortunately ... it doesn't store address information.

Just phone numbers + email address.

• Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

Could you put the address info in to a notes field? You may not be able to sync the field, but at least you'd have the address on the phone.

Dave.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Thanks batdz. This makes the T61x phones unusable for me.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

Could you put the address info in to a notes field? You may not be able to sync the field, but at least you'd have the address on the phone.

Dave.

there's no "notes" field on the phone either
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

there's no "notes" field on the phone either

Sorry about that, I was sure I'd read there was one .

I hope you don't mind, but I have a couple of questions about the T610 calendar / organiser functions...

1) Are items marked as 'anniversary' one off as far as the calendar is concerned? Or will they be in the same place each year, or will you need to re-enter them every year?

2) I've read a review which states that you can 'post' a note to the homescreen. Can you post other items, such as a meeting? What does a homescreen with a posted item look like?

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

Sorry about that, I was sure I'd read there was one .

I hope you don't mind, but I have a couple of questions about the T610 calendar / organiser functions...

1) Are items marked as 'anniversary' one off as far as the calendar is concerned? Or will they be in the same place each year, or will you need to re-enter them every year?

2) I've read a review which states that you can 'post' a note to the homescreen. Can you post other items, such as a meeting? What does a homescreen with a posted item look like?

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave -

1) i don't think anyone has had this phone for over a year, so i'm not sure anyone can confirm how this works yet!

2) i just tried this on my phone to answer your question. yes, you can post a note to the homescreen - it basically just looks like a Mac stickie note on the homescreen, with the full text of the note. you could post whatever you wanted, i'm assuming. (i just posted "hi")...

someone asked about "fiddly" controls. i haven't found this to be true, but i see why someone might think that. the small joystick in the center of the phone has different functions- up or down gets you straight to your address book, and pushing it in gets you to your main menu. occasionally i'll try to push and end up going up or down, but this isn't really a big problem.

hope that helps
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Thanks .

Dave.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    tonton,

If I've read the reviews right (I don't actually own one, but was thinking about it), for each sontact you can have:

[list=1][*]Name[*]Home[*]Work[*]Mobile[*]Fax[*]Email[*]Other[/list=1]

No address line though . Apart from the lack of address line, it seems pretty similar to the Nokia phone books we're used to (I have a 6310i). I got this info from Mobile Review, so don't shoot me if it's wrong .

I agree about the T610's looks - it's a very nice piece of kit. It's just a shame UK networks only seem to offer the silver version, as the blue one looks quite good 8).

Nokia phones seem to be getting a little too 'artistic' for my tastes recently (although I love the 7250). It seems they are going heavily for the fashion market at the expense of features (Bluetooth only in a few handsets, 65K colour screens, etc.). Like you said, they don't make any really attractive Bluetooth phones .

As for alternative Bluetooth handsets, Siemens have several, the S55 and SL55. Not my cup of tea, but you might like them .

I think I'm going to reconsider upgrading - I'll leave it untill the new year. That way, the Orange SPV2 should be out, so I can see if they've fixed the things I didn't like about the original. Also, there should be other handsets from other manufacturers that may be able to tempt me away from the Nokia's that I've loved for the last five or so years.

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    I'm really pleased to see this thread! I'm in the UK and currently have a Nokia 6610 (which I've been really pleased with). However, it doesn't seem to be working at the moment, so therefore, I'm looking at changing.

I like the look of the T610, but had a few questions. How big is it and how much does it weigh? Also, I'm assuming that as you can take photos you can add a photo to the profile/details of contacts? If this is the case can you iSync the photos to your Mac?

Mike
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpw_amherst

I'm really pleased to see this thread! I'm in the UK and currently have a Nokia 6610 (which I've been really pleased with). However, it doesn't seem to be working at the moment, so therefore, I'm looking at changing.

I like the look of the T610, but had a few questions. How big is it and how much does it weigh? Also, I'm assuming that as you can take photos you can add a photo to the profile/details of contacts? If this is the case can you iSync the photos to your Mac?

Mike

mike -

yes, the address book on the phone supports photos. you can take them with your phone, add them to your T610 address book, *and* add them to your .mac address book, but these photos do not iSync back and forth with your phone and your .mac address book. they are separate entities (was that confusing?)

the T610 is very small, approx. 10cm x 4cm x 2cm. it's actually about the same size (slightly smaller actually) than my previous Sprint clamshell phone. it fits easily and comfortably in my front pocket.

ryan
  • Reply 18 of 25
    You may want to check out the Nokia 6600

Lookie!

It is supposed to be released soon (Octoberish), and has all the functions of the T610 plus a bigger screen. Not sure about addresses, though, I couldn't find it mentioned, but I think it does. It is sort of 'fat' looking, though. I am waiting for this one before deciding between the two. I like them both, really.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So what features does the phonebook have, then?

One name and one number or one name and multiple numbers? Any number type indicator (i.e. home, office, mobile, pager, etc.)? Any other fields? Email address?

Any other attractive and small BT phones out there besides the T610?

Just checked my T610, the only fields I see when entering new contact are:

NAME:

HOME:

WORK:

MOBILE:

EMAIL:

Using iSync to Sync via bluetooth to powermac, the addresses disappeared and the fax numbers synched into the work number slot.

Other than that, T610 has been great to use over the last two months. By the way, SE's own bluetooth headsets are lousy. dropping lines all the time and very noisy.I tried and unloaded two of them. Using the Jabra now, much better. Consistent connection and clearer sounds.

The other issue with the T610 is the memory is rather limited. Total of 2 MB and fills up too quickly when you take photos and have screen savers too.

Used the T800 before this- great functionality, expandible, much faster GPRS...... But JUST TOO BIG.

Looking forward to trying the new Nokia 6600 when it comes out this month.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I see that there's another Sony Ericsson phone that will have removable a memory card in the near future....that one might be the one to wait for if you want more memory.

I'm interested in the SE610 right now and compared to my old Nokia 8265 it will be a terrific improvement. Still having a memory card would be pretty spiffy.