what's up with camino?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
anyone know if camino is still being developed? i find it to be faster than safari and generally more compatible, however it seems to be a little unstable...actually a lot unstable on my dad's imac (10.1.5) and just a little less so on my B&W (10.2.6)

anyhow, it would be a real shame if they quit developing this one. mozilla & firebird are nice, but they just don't feel like OS X. I hate using programs that don't feel OS X-esque. Camino feels as native as all get-out, and it better not go away! i think it has been at version 0.7 since march...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Camino is not native either. It's time has passed. All these open source people should help KHTML the engine of Safari. Moz is bloated. Composer is GREAT though, I just discovered that last month. Man is that good. Beats the crap out of anything else I've seen. I'm glad they're finally splitting Moz up.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Camino is being developed. Check the nightlies.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Pinkerton is re-evaluating all the existing bug reports, and trying to determine which are still present, given all the fixes that have gone into Mozilla's browser. New builds are still rolling out though; it hasn't stopped. It's possible the next milestone won't be .8 but maybe Camino 1.0a, which would be nice.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    From Pinkerton's blog:

Quote:

A number of people have floated the idea of a Camino 0.7.5 to take the place of the nebulous 0.8 release that seems to not have a solid date, a solid feature set, or a solid commitment of time from anyone

[snip]

Quote:

Initially, Camino (then Chimera) did release early and often and it garnered a loyal following who couldn't wait to get their hands on the next release. The problem stems from our own success. Camino 0.7 was so stable and polished that people came to treat it as they would a 1.0 product.

Okay that's going a little too far, but...

I still have Camino in my apps folder (along with Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, Netscape 7.1 and bad old IE for those sites that refuse to deal with web standards).

0.7 = 1.0?? No, definitely not.

Screed
  • Reply 5 of 11
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Camino is not native either. It's time has passed. All these open source people should help KHTML the engine of Safari. Moz is bloated. Composer is GREAT though, I just discovered that last month. Man is that good. Beats the crap out of anything else I've seen. I'm glad they're finally splitting Moz up.

I don't think it is fair to say that Camino's time has passed. I find it to be every bit as fast as Safari, if not faster, though it is not stable or as feature-rich (stability and feature-richness should certainly improve by 1.0)

Most people do feel Moz is bloated, but Camino & Firebird, though still Gecko browsers are not bloated at all. I find camino to be a speedy little app...and it is native AFAIK it is a Cocoa program (correct if wrong)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    safari is crappy brushed metal though and my shortcuts in camino dont work in it.

e.g

i hold my scroll wheel down and scroll up or down and it goes forward or backwards a page, GENIUS sensible use of a scroll wheel for once!, or i can hold it down and drag the page around with the hand but i think thats a standard osx thing

ANYWAY!

the reason i still use camino is quite simply the engine, KHTML isnt standard enough yet for a web designer and IE is shitty and unstandard
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Brushed metal is easy to get rid of in Cocoa apps either with that haxie or using Interface Builder. It looks so stupid with Brushed Metal. Whoever made that call needs to get poked with a whiffle bat repeatedly.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Brushed metal is easy to get rid of.

I thought like you. Then I tried to get used to Safari in its metallic form (after using things like Safari Aquafier on several of the betas), and I've come so far as to be able to say that I prefer it in aqua. Heathen though that may sound. One of the nice things of metal is the ability to drag a window from just about any textured surface. The status bar at the bottom, for example. And that is quite addictive.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The nightlies didn't work with the Beta's of Panther, at least they didn't used to.

They might be working on a new Camino to work with 10.3
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

0.7 = 1.0?? No, definitely not.

Screed

Safari v85 = 1.0 = Crap

So why not?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    The Camino nightly from a week or so ago works great. It is slightly faster than safari in just about everything.

Lots of pretty new options, etc. Also; more compatible on certain web pages that Safari isnt.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/camino/nightly/latest/

have fun