Schools Banning Peanut Products

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/ed...44/detail.html

Quote:

As the school year begins, a food long associated with the cafeteria is no longer welcome in some Greenville County schools.

Sara Collins Elementary has six students who are allergic to peanuts, two of them severely allergic. As a result, no peanut products are allowed at Sara Collins and nine other schools.

Jackson Poole, 6, is in kindergarten at Sara Collins. He's been allergic to peanuts since he was a toddler.

"I gave him a bite of peanut butter pie and 15 minutes later he was broken out in welts, throwing up, swollen neck, mouth, tongue, everything," Robin Poole, Jackson's mother, said.

PEANUT ALLERGY

Peanut Allergy

Breast Milk Link

FDA: Allergy Warnings

School officials said they prepared for the allergic students by training the faculty to treat allergic reactions and taking peanut butter off the cafeteria menu.

"We don't want to lose a life over a peanut butter sandwich," cafeteria manager Patricia McFadden said.

But after peanut butter and jelly sandwiches showed up in students' lunches on the first day of school, officials banned all peanut products.

"If a child is eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and wipes their finger, then a child with peanut allergies sits down and touches it, he puts it in his mouth, he could go into shock," Poole said.

School officials acknowledge they've received complaints from some parents concerned about replacing the easy and inexpensive peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"I feel like every parent in the school is going to hate me. I love peanut butter and jelly, I grew up on them, but there is that fine line, my child's life is at risk versus making people happy," Poole said.

Principals now patrol the cafeteria looking for peanut products. If they're found, the janitor is called to disinfect the area.

If this happens in my Son's school. I'm in court fighting this. If the mere touch of a peanut product could be potentially fatal then that student doesn't need to be in school and probably needs Home Schooling.

If I'm a Lawyer I'm lickin' chops over this one.

There comes a point in which the needs of the Majority should hold sway. This is one of those situations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I'm allergic to dust. Lets ban dust from schools.

I'm allergic to pollen. Lets ban pollen from schools.

My nephew is allergic to all shellfish. Lets ban shellfish from schools.

Soon we will hear:

Oh, my kid has a milk allergy. We need to ban milk from schools.

or

My kids a diabetic. We need to ban all sugar from schools.

Where does it stop?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    If a school is going to dictate the type of food that can or cannot be on its property, then that school should also be able to provide a reasonably-priced lunch menu.

When you think about it, parents pack PBJ sandwiches for their kids because they are cheap and relatively healthy.

If the school is concerned about the health of students and what they eat, then there should be nutritious items available to ALL students. Children are our future, we should not provide second-rate lunches.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

Where does it stop?

it wont. if you look around you, dont you notice all the things that are being restricted because the minor amount cannot do something..(I am speaking more than allergies,ect). but it is happening. all your freedoms are going away too(as if we really had any in our lifetime)
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Next thing you know they'll be banning smoking in bars.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Hummm....I've got no problem with that one.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    My nephew is alergic to peanuts. The crazy part of the ban is that many other products are touched by peanut production. Other nuts, candy bars, some candies, some fried foods (peanut oil), etc. I think a better option would be to alert students & teachers on which products may contain peanut products or by products.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

it wont. if you look around you, dont you notice all the things that are being restricted because the minor amount cannot do something..(I am speaking more than allergies,ect). but it is happening. all your freedoms are going away too(as if we really had any in our lifetime)

Oh yeah, I know that I am losing more and more of my rights every day. Thanks to GW Bush and Ashcroft.

Without them where would we be?

Not trying to hijack this thread, but..

Any Babylon 5 fans here? Doesn't the Department of Homeland Security kind of remind you of Nightwatch?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Hummm....I've got no problem with that one.

Good thing you're not making decisions for the rest of us then.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by gordy

My nephew is alergic to peanuts. The crazy part of the ban is that many other products are touched by peanut production. Other nuts, candy bars, some candies, some fried foods (peanut oil), etc. I think a better option would be to alert students & teachers on which products may contain peanut products or by products.

That i have no problems with, most products or restaraunts do that themselves.. I am wondering where this is coming from, when i was younger you never heard of all this crap.. its probably from feeding babies fake milk, fake food ect, when growing up, in my day, babyfood was used only on trips,ect. most of the time ma and grand ma just ground up what everyone else had in a blender.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    god, i guess i'm going to have to disband my preschool child's peanut eating, group prayer circle.

crap!
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Oh yeah, I know that I am losing more and more of my rights every day. Thanks to GW Bush and Ashcroft.

Without them where would we be?

Not trying to hijack this thread, but..

Any Babylon 5 fans here? Doesn't the Department of Homeland Security kind of remind you of Nightwatch?

not to get too politica, it has been happening for decades..(not just bush,ect) but it increases each year. usually the criminals and government get more rights, and the regular people lose them. even losing rights because somethign may be offensive is becoming more common. can I be alergic to POLITICALLY CORRECTNESS and get that banned?(nope because that is one of the main problems)
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

They already have in many jurisdictions. And the bars are not impressed. Studies have shown smokers drink more and tip more. Although the media never tells us who comes up with these studies... tobacco companies?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

That i have no problems with, most products or restaraunts do that themselves.. I am wondering where this is coming from, when i was younger you never heard of all this crap.. its probably from feeding babies fake milk, fake food ect, when growing up, in my day, babyfood was used only on trips,ect. most of the time ma and grand ma just ground up what everyone else had in a blender.

i GUARANTEE when we are all old and retired, we will look back and wonder what the hell we were thinking by ingesting some of the stuff we do today, or some of our personal habits we make as part of our daily lives. have you seen some of the 50's television commercials where smoking is touted as safe and fun? my favorite was a couple WATERSKIING AND SMOKING. i laughed my ass off at that.

i ingest an enormous amount of aspartame/nutrasweet over the span of a week. i expect when i am 50, they will finally have a definitive study showing that it's only slightly less healthy that a gunshot to the right temple.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

They already have in many jurisdictions. And the bars are not impressed. Studies have shown smokers drink more and tip more. Although the media never tells us who comes up with these studies... tobacco companies?

In boston you cant smoke in Bars or restaraunts or night clubs anymore(I dont smoke, but dont care if others do).

my mother says in Ireland, the you cant smoke in pubs anymore, so the pubs are all closing up cuz no one goes in anymore.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

see, this is where a city actually got it right, in my humble opinion. toronto banned smoking in any establishment that wasn't registered as a bar, OR had set up separate facilities to handle smokers versus non (and not just "smokers on the other side of a large room" kind of separation, either -- completely separate rooms.

so you had options as a business owner to either be JUST a restaurant, or a bar, or a combination of both. yes, there was a lot of complaints at first, but as time wore on, i saw very few people having a problem with the new city by-law.

new york's zero tolerance, on the other hand, is just dumb. i have heard l.a. has a similar ordinance, which is of course pretty funny considering the air quality there. i bet your MORE at risk of carcinogenic intake by being OUTSIDE of the bar than in it (kidding, of course, but it does make you wonder).
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

They already have in many jurisdictions. And the bars are not impressed.

Oh I know. I live in New York City, I smoke, and I know three bar owners whose incomes have gone down 30-40% since the ban came in.

I have no argument with people who want to socialize in a smoke free environment - but I don't see why their preferences should be imposed on the rest of us. As long as smoking is legal, bar and club owners should be able to decide whether they want to permit it on their premises.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Good thing you're not making decisions for the rest of us then.

Well, in this case I can not see where the smoker has ANY rights to force anyone in the smokers vicinity to breath second hand smoke. And don't give me that stupid, idiotic crap about a smoker has the right to smoke and if you don't want to smell the smoke then you should go somewhere else.

Thats nothing but tired old smelly horse dookie
  • Reply 18 of 40
    The Problem is Heavy Handed approaches to Gov intervention.

1 child in a school has a potentially fatal issue so we must Ban the offending item. Tail wagging the dog.

As for smoking bans. Why not give the option to allow smoking provided there is above adequate measure taken to filter the air. Let bars have smoking areas with filtered air so that those who don't wish to smoke don't come in and walk out smelling like a ton of burn cigarettes.

There are always "options" but they're never explored because it's far too easy to obliterate a choice or benefit for the sake of a few.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

I have no argument with people who want to socialize in a smoke free environment - but I don't see why their preferences should be imposed on the rest of us.

I know that I am taking your reply out of context, kind of.

The reason is that cig smoke (and second hand smoke) are a proven cause of cancer. Breathing fresh air (assuming we're not in LA as another poster brought up) has not been linked to any form of cancer.

I'll pose a question (that is open to all smokers, I'm not attacking you personally):

Why should your preference to smoke be imposed on the rest of us who do not wish to smell that nasty smell or to increase our risk of cancer?
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Well, in this case I can not see where the smoker has ANY rights to force anyone in the smokers vicinity to breath second hand smoke. And don't give me that stupid, idiotic crap about a smoker has the right to smoke and if you don't want to smell the smoke then you should go somewhere else.

Thats nothing but tired old smelly horse dookie

How could I possible provide a rebuttal to such a cogent argument?