Run with an iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Wondering if it's okay to run with an iPod as it's got a moving harddrive playing? Would it skip or damage the mechanism?

Any thoughts or experience here?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    It is safe. Trust us.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Well this isn't running but...

I just finished {this past weekend} an 80km moutain bike race. One of the guys i passed had an iPod and said it was working great. I snowboard with mine.

I'd say running is fine too.

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Running for me sucks. If I leave it on my waist it skips after 10 minutes and then crashes hard. This has happened with more than one of the third generation iPods. I used to have an armband I could affix it with but I no longer do. I recently bought a waist pouch thingy to try and help absorb some of the shock, but it didn't work.

If someone knows where I can get a 'sports' band for my arm that will hold an iPod please let me know.

I run with flat feet though. It's just me. I know I hit the pavement hard and that's part of the problem. If you're on a running machine it's not bad and you can just hang the iPod off of the machine and it doesn't bounce at all. But, I've been running for almost two years with the two different model iPods and both had the same problem for me.

Just so you know, I usually start the iPod before leaving my house and stretch for about 5 minutes first. That way the cache should be full, but it still skips before 20 minutes are up.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    all good ideas, but moving to digital hub.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Bunge, I have the same problem!

It reaches the 20 minute skip protection and then it eats shit.

It's very frustrating. I know I'm a plodding running, but jeez!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Go for 15 min, rest for 5 and so on
  • Reply 7 of 30
    you deny yourself the aerobic benefit of running, unless you go 20 minutes.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I have flat feet. I have jumped down flgihts of stairs and run down corridoors, the point is, I'm often using my iPod aswell (2nd generation) at the same time, and this is probably far more stressful then running, and I have no problems at all.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

I have flat feet. I have jumped down flgihts of stairs and run down corridoors, the point is, I'm often using my iPod aswell (2nd generation) at the same time, and this is probably far more stressful then running, and I have no problems at all.

You can do that, unless you're doing it for 10-20 minutes non-stop. It's when you keep pounding the pavement, the harddrive can't 'catch up.' This happened with my first two 1st gen iPods, and my two 3rd gen iPods.

And I do get my full 20 minutes in. I usually run about 40-60, thank you very much Mr. Monkeydeathcar.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Running for me sucks. If I leave it on my waist it skips after 10 minutes and then crashes hard. This has happened with more than one of the third generation iPods. I used to have an armband I could affix it with but I no longer do. I recently bought a waist pouch thingy to try and help absorb some of the shock, but it didn't work.

If someone knows where I can get a 'sports' band for my arm that will hold an iPod please let me know.

I run with flat feet though. It's just me. I know I hit the pavement hard and that's part of the problem. If you're on a running machine it's not bad and you can just hang the iPod off of the machine and it doesn't bounce at all. But, I've been running for almost two years with the two different model iPods and both had the same problem for me.

Just so you know, I usually start the iPod before leaving my house and stretch for about 5 minutes first. That way the cache should be full, but it still skips before 20 minutes are up.

What gen of iPod do you own? My old 5 gigger is fine for jogging and I do it for over an hour.

Curious to know if the latest 3rd gen iPods have any freezing problems.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Thanks for all the replies... I guess the answer is that although some ipods may skip some after prolonged "vigorous shaking" that it's generally okay to attempt to run with them. The later the model, the better the results with the buffer and skipping.

Just to confirm, no one has had one "break" or any serious damage to them by running or say doing aerobics with an ipod on????
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

What gen of iPod do you own? My old 5 gigger is fine for jogging and I do it for over an hour.

Curious to know if the latest 3rd gen iPods have any freezing problems.

Now I have the 3rd gen 15 GB model, but my original 5 GB skipped as well.

It's never broken because of it though.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by kyogen

Wondering if it's okay to run with an iPod as it's got a moving harddrive playing? Would it skip or damage the mechanism?

Any thoughts or experience here?

Thanks!

I had an original 5GB iPod. Built like a tank. Ran upwards of 15 miles at a time w/ it, never crashed, and only rarely skipped. I'm also someone who likes to fast forward to the next track a lot, so the HD got a lot of use.

I now have a 30GB. No end to trouble w/ it. Skips, locks up/crashes, after as little as two miles of running (15-16min). Has gotten worse. Also the fast-forward button is non-responsive. Feels much less durable than the old 5GB.

BTW, I gave the 5GB to a friend, he still runs w/ it and reports no problems.

The 30GB is going back to Apple tomorrow for warranty service.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

try this
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Hi,

I have a 3rd gen 15 gig iPod. I run with it around the central park resovoir every day for about an hour and i've NEVER had a skipping problem. I'm very surprised to hear of others having skipping issues, but i'd submit those are isolated problems.

NeilyB
  • Reply 16 of 30
    It's very unlikely that you would damage the iPod from running because it scans the HD and puts the data into the 32 MB cache in the first few seconds it's on. If there's a ton of bouncing/movement as bunge and others (like me) having when running (flat-footed) on pavement (doesn't happen when I'm on the treadmill), it simply will not attempt to read the HD and will shut off until it can safely (it takes a few minutes aftert you stop to figure this out) take another pass over the HD.

BTW, fartleks and alternating your running tempo will increase your metabolism (fat- and calorie-burning) and increase your lung capacity better than jogging at a moderate pace. It's both aerobic and anaerobic at the same time.

Long story short, if you have a good stride, you're fine. If not, it's a PITa, but you won't damage it unless it's under unbelievable stress (as would your body).
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Long story short, if you have a good stride, you're fine. If not, it's a PITa, but you won't damage it unless it's under unbelievable stress (as would your body). [/B]

Thanks BR, I think that gives me what I need. I just put in my order for a 40Gig iPod... happy me!

(now if I can only figure out if I can sync it to my PC/Outlook for calendar and contacts, and Mac for music/files....

• Reply 18 of 30
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

It's very unlikely that you would damage the iPod from running because it scans the HD and puts the data into the 32 MB cache in the first few seconds it's on. If there's a ton of bouncing/movement as bunge and others (like me) having when running (flat-footed) on pavement (doesn't happen when I'm on the treadmill), it simply will not attempt to read the HD and will shut off until it can safely (it takes a few minutes aftert you stop to figure this out) take another pass over the HD.

BTW, fartleks and alternating your running tempo will increase your metabolism (fat- and calorie-burning) and increase your lung capacity better than jogging at a moderate pace. It's both aerobic and anaerobic at the same time.

Long story short, if you have a good stride, you're fine. If not, it's a PITa, but you won't damage it unless it's under unbelievable stress (as would your body).

YAY! FARTLEKS! ::shudder::

Ah, such wonderful memories of cross country practice. I didn't know that fartleks was used by others too...
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

YAY! FARTLEKS! ::shudder::

Ah, such wonderful memories of cross country practice. I didn't know that fartleks was used by others too...

Actually, we used to do them in the army... up and down hills in central germany... in the winter.... (crikey, I sound like my grandfather!)
  • Reply 20 of 30
    What's a fartlek? And please don't say stinky.