Blaster hits me hard

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Even though I don't have any PC's, I have just been nailed by MSBlast. Due to the mass number of support calls to SBC by PC users hit by Blaster, SBC's support can't escalate a case with the symptoms of Blaster. I'm having a problem where I can't maintain a connection for more than a few minutes, and apparently these are the same problems caused by Blaster. Even though my case has nothing to do with Blaster, they can't eslcalate it to someone who can fix it. So I'm stuck with a broken connection that SBC won't fix due to their own rules.

Any suggestions?

is an understatement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I can commiserate. Just when my broadband decided it would get all shitty on me requiring constant calls to Charter's "support" all this virus/blaster stuff started going down. I could get escalated, but I had to wait on hold for 20-30 minutes at a time to tell them that they didn't call/come out/fix the issue and could they please try to come out again sometime before a week from now. Charter sucks donkey balls.

The funniest thing happened one night after waiting for about 45 minutes to speak to someone: she kept telling me to take my computer to my vendor because I have a virus. I said, I don't have a virus, I've got a Mac. And she said who makes your computer? I said Apple. She said is that like a Dell or Gateway? I said lemme talk to someone else because you don't know what you're talking about! Terrible.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I keep getting "Unable to deliver your message" emails from Yahoo. It says the message I tried to send contained the sobig.f virus or something, and it says I tried to send it to various Yahoo groups I'm not a member of and I've never heard of. I think the virus has hijacked my email address and is using it to forward itself to other computers. I'm not affected by it but other people are, and I'm afraid if my computer continues to forward viruses to people I'll eventually get my email address blocked by someone. Any way to clear it out? I don't know what's going on.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    A friend of mine called his ISP's tech support today; he was having trouble with his connection. So, the tech support told him to delete the entire Internet Explorer folder. Naturally it gave my friend an error message but the tech support guy told him it was OK.

I had to talk him through a reformat.

Moral of the story: lie cheat and steal to get your problem fixed because you can't trust phone tech support.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I can top that.

The washing machines in my dorm don't work thanks to PCs and Blaster. (because you use your id card to pay I assume.) However the other dorms' do! So I'm pissed. I mean I'm not a scrub, I'm just efficient with laundry. Not like my ex-roommate from NJ, whose idea of new clothes is turn them inside. Then Febreze them the next day. He didn't change his bed at all while I was there. Hence new roommate. Anywayyy yes Blaster is funny until it affects you.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    CubeDude, did you tell them you have a Mac ?

Try and stay calm with the guy/gal, and ask him to explain the symtoms of MSBlaster. When he gets to the bit about MS Windows tell him you have a mac....

If he continues, when he gets to the but about the Weindows RPC service shutting down the machine in 45 seconds, tell him again - very calmly that you dont have a Windows RPC service box because you have a Mac.

Still trying to remain calm - remember these support people are not good with computers, they are good on the phone and 90% of the time read from scripts - tell him that it is obvious that you do not have MSBlaster and that your symptoms are not similar unless you go VERY BROAD, which would then actually cover just about every net connection related support call they get, and would he please eslcalate your call.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Blaster shut down the university that I work for back in August. Nothing like having > 200 unpatched windoze machines.

This was all pre-semester.

With all the kids back, blaster is rearing its ugly head again.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

CubeDude, did you tell them you have a Mac ?

Try and stay calm with the guy/gal, and ask him to explain the symtoms of MSBlaster. When he gets to the bit about MS Windows tell him you have a mac....

If he continues, when he gets to the but about the Weindows RPC service shutting down the machine in 45 seconds, tell him again - very calmly that you dont have a Windows RPC service box because you have a Mac.

Still trying to remain calm - remember these support people are not good with computers, they are good on the phone and 90% of the time read from scripts - tell him that it is obvious that you do not have MSBlaster and that your symptoms are not similar unless you go VERY BROAD, which would then actually cover just about every net connection related support call they get, and would he please eslcalate your call.

I told them I had a Mac, and they didn't say I had Blaster. They said I had the same symptoms of Blaster(I don't actually know what they are), and that they used to be able to escalate calls of this nature(pre-Blaster) but now they can't(post-Blaster). I did tell them I had a Mac(calmly, like you said), but the persons I have talked to have no power to escalate my claim.

As I've said befor, is a severe understatement.

edit: YES! One of the people I talked to got my call escalated! They just called me!

Of course, now they have to call me back tomorrow to tell me what they need to do, but the technician I spoke to said most likely my modem was fried. We had an electrical storm a few weeks back, so maybe it just got fried.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The problem is you've carelessly left your blaster set to kill when instead it should be set to stun.

...Rookies...