Enterprise season premiere

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yeah, I'm going to watch the premiere of Enterprise tonight. I can't help it. It's like a massive train wreck in slow motion - but it's compelling to see how it's going to end up in small bits...

They're introducing a new element to the ship this season: ground troops. (Considering how often Capt & Co get captured on a planet, I'm not surprised...) They're the Military Assault Command Operations soldiers, and their insignia is a Maco (sp!) shark. Roit.

A friend mentioned "At least they didn't call them redshirts..." which prompted me to posit that the uniforms would be red anyway, just to be 'funny'.

Well...

Okay, just a splash, but still... check out the undergarment.

Personally, I'm hoping that one of the troops is a super-spy with a shadowy past who wears a mask, just so they can name him MACOs X.

Alright, that's enough tomatoes. Really.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    its been a lonnggg time....

posting from there to here...

its been a loonnng time....

& a lock is finally near....

i can feel this thread being locked at last..

i will ..!@#!@ CARRIER DISCONNECT......
  • Reply 2 of 20
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yeah, I'm going to watch the premiere of Enterprise tonight. I can't help it. It's like a massive train wreck in slow motion - but it's compelling to see how it's going to end up in small bits...

They're introducing a new element to the ship this season: ground troops. (Considering how often Capt & Co get captured on a planet, I'm not surprised...) They're the Military Assault Command Operations soldiers, and their insignia is a Maco (sp!) shark. Roit.

A friend mentioned "At least they didn't call them redshirts..." which prompted me to posit that the uniforms would be red anyway, just to be 'funny'.

Well...

Okay, just a splash, but still... check out the undergarment.

Personally, I'm hoping that one of the troops is a super-spy with a shadowy past who wears a mask, just so they can name him MACOs X.

Alright, that's enough tomatoes. Really.

So lets see your making comments about something you haven't acctually seen yet. Hmmm? I have big hopes for this show to turn around. Why is it most people don't remember how dreadful TNG ( a very popular ST show ) was in the first two years?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I had to stop watching that show. I got sick of the whole touchy feely "let's see Keko (or whatever the **** the token asian girl's name is) will come out of her shell"

WHO THE **** CARES? I WANT TO SEE GOOD SCIFI!

Oh and get rid of the ****ing dog already.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

So lets see your making comments about something you haven't acctually seen yet.

*laugh* Only been watching for two seasons... jeez mon. See that stick? Yeah, that one? Pull it out. No, I'm *not* going to help you fercriminysakes.

Quote:

I have big hopes for this show to turn around. Why is it most people don't remember how dreadful TNG ( a very popular ST show ) was in the first two years?

TNG was *awful* the first couple of years, more often than not. My hopes are dashed by just two little things: Berman & Braga. As long as those two yahoos are driving this boat, it's headed for the rocks.

And I'll be munchin' my popcorn and kicked back chucklin' the entire time. It's fascinating. If, by some miracle, those two collectively find a creative neuron between them, I'll applaud.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I had to stop watching that show. I got sick of the whole touchy feely "let's see Keko (or whatever the **** the token asian girl's name is) will come out of her shell"

WHO THE **** CARES? I WANT TO SEE GOOD SCIFI!

Well, they went for door #2... they got her out of her shirt.

T'Pol was up for the topless appearance tonight. W00t.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    George Forman to lead MACO troops. "Gotta go MACO".

MACO troops' rayguns outfitted with Forman's patented muffler silencing system for stealth.

Close combat weaponry provided by Forman's lean mean alien flesh reducing plasma powered grilling machines.

• Reply 7 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Well, they went for door #2... they got her out of her shirt.

T'Pol was up for the topless appearance tonight. W00t.

Well maybe if the asian girl would STFU and take her top off then I'd watch.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Since everyone's got an opinion around here, I guess I'll stick my neck out. I really really like the show. I've been a fan since the first season. In fact, it really look forward to Wednesday nights because of ENTERPRISE and I don't have any real "must see" shows in my life. I'm not even a very big Star Trek fan. Deep Space Nine and Voyager never hooked me like this show did.

Perhaps it's because the show's premise of the first Enterprise and her crew and the fact that they seem far more vulnerable. I mean, what I can't stand about TNG and the others were that if they ever got in any real trouble they'd just fly around some star, reverse time and fix it. For ENTERPRISE they're still figuring things out as they go. I also like the submarine jargon. Makes it feel more palpable to me. I like that no one trust the transporter and refuses to use it. It makes a quick escape impossible which is great for drama.

But, the best part of ENTERPRISE is Bakula, the guy who plays Trip and of course the delicious Jolene Blalock who plays T'Pol. Those guys have real chemistry. In fact, I think this is the first crew to display any real chemistry since TNG.

Sure, not all the shows were home runs. But, many were. Plus, if you burn a fatty before the show starts, even the theme song is stomachable (is that a word?), which I don't like at all. A friend of mine refuses to watch the show because of the theme song. How stupid is that? He also won't watch the show because Bacula was in Quantum Leap. Huh?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

In fact, I think this is the first crew to display any real chemistry since TNG.

er ds9 has all the rest beat...im a huge tos/tng fan

but eventually succumbed to ds9

their stories were much better than any of the other series

& they didnt always save the day, they lost people & had their butts kicked too.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Well I thought the show was an improvement over the feel of the last two years. I think they are moving in the right direction. The pacing seemed faster. The alien bug creature was cool. I don't mind the soldiers like I thought I would. They need to keep this up and do even more. I realize however that this was a season premiere and there aren't many of those that display the best of what the season has to offer. So I'm thinking their heading in the " keep this up, do more " direction anyway.

One last thing. They really and I mean really need to lose the theme song. It was there still but changed into some kind of country rendition. I felt like I was watching Bonanza.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    gratuitous boobs. (cheap, cheap, cheap stunt.)

180 spin to save failed prev storyline.

theme song more grating then rap music.

was not impressed with the preimiere. maybe episode 2? course i have been waiting for it to get better since the start.

then again, at least it 100 times better then babylon 5...
  • Reply 12 of 20
    keyboardf12: Better than B5? Shush your mouth! B5 was wonderful in creating actual story *arcs*, not just mini-series of a couple episodes. An arc should span at least a season, IMHO. Not a perfect show, but one of the best SF series made.

jimmac: Country rendition? What, they decided to rip off Firefly now? (Still haven't seen it, it's sitting on tape at home waiting for me.)

I loved DS9, in that they had chemistry on the crew, the crew actually had character development, and the plots weren't all happy happy at the end. They felt more real, somehow. (Kinda like B5... ) Voyager lost me after the first two seasons. It just went... nowhere, it felt like. *shrug*

I really want to like Eprise, but I'm a rather rabid continuity fan - it makes for more interesting stories, I feel, when you're constrained by continuity... it forces you to be *creative*. Directly contradicting canon continuity is a cheap way out of a sticky writing situation, and they do it too often on this show for my tastes. *shrug* Now, you can argue that at the end of the show's run Future Boy (subtle Leaper nod) will pop back and it'll all get erased, but that's just laaaaaaaaaame. I really hope they don't pull that.

I watch it, I look forward to it, I even usually enjoy it. But that doesn't mean I *respect* it.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    -------------------------------------------------------------

" jimmac: Country rendition? What, they decided to rip off Firefly now? (Still haven't seen it, it's sitting on tape at home waiting for me.) "

-------------------------------------------------------------

Think of medium speed guitar strumming and " Marlboro Country ".

You can just picture a middle aged man in a bar bugalooing with the whiteman's overbite. Yeah sadly Berman seems to have no musical taste.

Just leave your mute button on for the credits and the show becomes not bad for their first attempt at turning this show around. Like I said they still have to do more but for a season premire it was ok!

B5 rocked! Probably the best written SciFi show of the last 20 years ( the Xfiles had it's moments but they didn't know when to quit ).
  • Reply 14 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

But, the best part of ENTERPRISE is Bakula, the guy who plays Trip...

(Scott Bakula is actually the captain.)

Quote:

jimmac: Country rendition? What, they decided to rip off Firefly now? (Still haven't seen it, it's sitting on tape at home waiting for me.)

You have an episode of Firefly!? Which one? And can you make me a copy?

Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Well maybe if the asian girl would STFU and take her top off then I'd watch.

Hehehe. You already missed it dude! That was in the first season. 8)
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

You have an episode of Firefly!? Which one? And can you make me a copy?

No, the Eprise premiere is on tape at home.

BTW, Firefly is being released on DVD *WITH* the unaired episodes, and with the original 2hr pilot uncut. W00t! Oh, and it's also on deck for a feature film.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yea. I heard that. I can't wait. I've been watching the same 2 episodes of firefly I have on tape over and over for 6 months. Need more fresh meat.

When it comes out on DVD, party at my house!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

(Scott Bakula is actually the captain.)

Actually, re-read the post. I use commas to dilleniate between three actors who play three characters. To clarify I like Archer, Trip and T'Pol. I just didn't know the actor's name who plays Trip. Smartass
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I loved the explanation for the name Trip... I'd heard it used here in NC, but figured it was just a Southern name, like JimBob, Bubba and such... I like it.

For the ignert: Trip is short for Triple, as in James Madison the third (III). Which is technically the fourth of that name, since it's Sr., Jr., II, III, etc, but what can you do with a nomenclature inherited from the British?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I was a huge Firefly fan. A realistic future with real raw emotions and plots in my opinion. Even most of the acting was fine. It take talent to write good space-fi without putting in aliens all the time. It's what draws in people like my wife. When she starts seeing aliens and bizarre stuff like that, she tunes out.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Call me a simple-man-brain, but seeing T'Pol's partially exposed breasts and hearing her ambiguous innuendos made the 1st episode WELL worth it for me. If they found a reason to do that every episode, I'd be coo-wit-dat! Everything else is gravy... I guess that episode would have to top my other favorite episode where a virus inadvertently sets-off T'Pol's "7 year itch". Hell, just make a spin-off show where T'Pol gets into naughty situations every week...that's it!

On a more critical note, she seems to be skirting into the "way too skinny just for Hollywood" realm. For God's sake, grab a freakin' cheeseburger already! I like to see some cushioning on a sexy lady more than bones under skin.