Best OSX FTP

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Could some of you tell me a good FTP for OSX? I just upgraded to X and used Fetch in OS9. Someting similar would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedustin

Could some of you tell me a good FTP for OSX? I just upgraded to X and used Fetch in OS9. Someting similar would be great. Thanks.

There are at least 2 recent threads on this (here and here). Like most others here, I prefer Transmit.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedustin

do a search and you'll see that this topic seems to surface once every week or so. that being said i dig transmit
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Transmit

Get it. Use it. Love it.

Edit: Dammit! I never get first reply!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    damn, torifile, you beat me to it.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, there's Fetch for OS X which is basically the same application except OS X compatible. There's also RBrowser Lite, which is free. I've heard Transmit is absolutely the best although it's shareware and I've never tried it.

Also this question has been asked a lot, try doing a search for "best FTP" and you'll get about a gazillion results.

EDIT: Damn your loins! All of them!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

SUCKAS!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

SUCKAS!!!!

no ftp client can beat flashfxp on pc platform, those on mac do suck.

i plan to write a ftp client for my own needs if one day I could.

bad, really bad switch if you are stick too much on ftp jobs.

I have to work on my old-ugly pc or on slow-joggy vpc.

• Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by seen_xu

no ftp client can beat flashfxp on pc platform

I've seen you harp on about FlashFXP a couple times before. I've looked over the screenshots and features on the web site and, honestly, I don't see the appeal. What major functions does it have that are lacking in the Mac FTP clients such as Transmit? I'm asking specifically about what features you use, not a "this app has everything and the kitchen sink" bullet list.

Is it the scheduled queue feature?

Is it the remote search feature?

Those are the only two major functions Transmit lacks that I think might be useful in FlashFXP. Even then, though, I can't imagine these being critically important.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I've seen you harp on about FlashFXP a couple times before. I've looked over the screenshots and features on the web site and, honestly, I don't see the appeal. What major functions does it have that are lacking in the Mac FTP clients such as Transmit? I'm asking specifically about what features you use, not a "this app has everything and the kitchen sink" bullet list.

Is it the scheduled queue feature?

Is it the remote search feature?

Those are the only two major functions Transmit lacks that I think might be useful in FlashFXP. Even then, though, I can't imagine these being critically important.

sorry for the repeatition that mentioned FlashFXP is a perfect ftp client which is lack on mac.

I've tried transmit fetch RBrowserlit liftp captain ftp..... (the list can be extended), no one can really satisfy my demand. they all some part have flaw.

As to what is FXP mode, you can refer to the help file or Q&A on FlashFXP Offical site, normally, it is used to transfer files between servers.

As to the Asian charactors, only RBrowserlit can support it, but not stable transferring, no good queue function, even it seems to not have a resume capability. oh, holy ....

As to the long list of Ftp client, even to the over-famed transmit, they need longway to go and catch up with those on PC.

PS: those ready switchers may notice this shortcoming on mac. expect for this, mac works great on me.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

sorry for the repeatition that mentioned FlashFXP is a perfect ftp client which is lack on mac.

I've tried transmit fetch RBrowserlit liftp captain ftp..... (the list can be extended), no one can really satisfy my demand. they all some part have flaw.

As to what is FXP mode, you can refer to the help file or Q&A on FlashFXP Offical site, normally, it is used to transfer files between servers.

As to the Asian charactors, only RBrowserlit can support it, but not stable transferring, no good queue function, even it seems to not have a resume capability. oh, holy ....

As to the long list of Ftp client, even to the over-famed transmit, they need longway to go and catch up with those on PC.

PS: those ready switchers may notice this shortcoming on mac. expect for this, mac works great on me.

You still haven't said what it DOES that others don't. You mentioned asian language support, but that's it. What else can it do that makes it so essential?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    not stable transferring always pause because some nosense errors, not good queue function, not good resume capability, no FXP mode available, not good asian language support, the errors pop-up but on pc no such things happen to the same server. several appz unexpectedly quit due to wrong handling? I don't think so. the appz need more stability.

all these are my opinions...

so we should do conclude that ftp client developers need more efforts to improve their products.

peace.......
  • Reply 12 of 23
    resres Posts: 711member
    Fetch for osx is the one I use, but you should download several of them and see which one you like the best.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

not stable transferring always pause because some nosense errors, not good queue function, not good resume capability, no FXP mode available, not good asian language support

Well, I use Transmit every day and never receive any unusual errors from three different servers I regularly access. Transmit has resume and queue functions that work beautifully for me.

So, it looks like it really just boils down to two things:

1. Asian language support.

2. Server-to-server transfers (ala FXP)

As for the former, have you thought about contacting the developers directly ([email protected] or [email protected])? Mac OS X apps such as Transmit are extremely easy to translate into other languages. It's literally just as simple as the developer adding a single text file called "Localizable.strings" for the new language that contains the translations. Here's a snippet from that file in the Spanish part of the package:

Quote:

"Disconnect" = "Desconectar";

"Upload" = "Subir";

"Download" = "Bajar";

"Parent" = "Parent";

"Refresh" = "Actualizar";

"New Folder" = "Carpeta nueva";

I bet the only reason there isn't support for the Asian languages is that they just don't have anyone on the staff that speaks those languages. If you contact them and offer to help translate, I bet they'd make you a beta tester and give you a free copy of Transmit to work with. I have personally worked with several other Mac developers that have this policy and I'd expect that Panic to do the same.

As for the second server-to-server "FXP" mode, I suspect that is doesn't exist in Transmit and the like because it (at least seems to me) is a feature that wouldn't be used by a great many users. Regardless, it sounds interesting. This is something else you should contact the developers about and let them know that you are interested in such a feature! Telling us about it on forums like this isn't going to get anything done.

In fact, if you were to offer to help translate and Panic did bring you in as a beta tester, that would put you in an excellent position to present a request for such a feature.

Your thoughts?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    being partial to the command line, I:

open terminal

type ftp

and have fun.

Much faster then the GUI apps
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, command line FTP seems cool but I have no idea how to use it. I've managed to connect to a server but it doesn't navigate the same way as normal file browsing.

But as I understand it, command line FTP actually allows read AND write access, correct?

Ah whatever. Fetch is pretty good and I got it free because I'm a student, so I'll just stick with that for now.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Surely the ultimate answer to this question is Panther? Read and write desktop FTP, I'm lead to believe. Huge rockage all round
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Last I recall, Panther still has only read-access for FTP in the Finder.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Well, I use Transmit every day and never receive any unusual errors from three different servers I regularly access. Transmit has resume and queue functions that work beautifully for me.

So, it looks like it really just boils down to two things:

1. Asian language support.

2. Server-to-server transfers (ala FXP)

As for the former, have you thought about contacting the developers directly ([email protected] or [email protected])? Mac OS X apps such as Transmit are extremely easy to translate into other languages. It's literally just as simple as the developer adding a single text file called "Localizable.strings" for the new language that contains the translations. Here's a snippet from that file in the Spanish part of the package:

I bet the only reason there isn't support for the Asian languages is that they just don't have anyone on the staff that speaks those languages. If you contact them and offer to help translate, I bet they'd make you a beta tester and give you a free copy of Transmit to work with. I have personally worked with several other Mac developers that have this policy and I'd expect that Panic to do the same.

As for the second server-to-server "FXP" mode, I suspect that is doesn't exist in Transmit and the like because it (at least seems to me) is a feature that wouldn't be used by a great many users. Regardless, it sounds interesting. This is something else you should contact the developers about and let them know that you are interested in such a feature! Telling us about it on forums like this isn't going to get anything done.

In fact, if you were to offer to help translate and Panic did bring you in as a beta tester, that would put you in an excellent position to present a request for such a feature.

Your thoughts?

thank you indeed for your kind help, and I will contact Panic as soon as possible to get a solution to my headache problems. and write some thoughts to express how transmit works on my system.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    http://cyberduck.ch/Cyberduck-3.4.1.zip

Might not be full-featured enough for some, but it is Open Source and it works fine for me!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedustin View Post

FTP is sooo 20th century!

In the 21st century you can use web-based Large File Transfer services, like these 12 FREE file transfer services:

? WeTransfer.com is FREE for upto 2GB of files or (zipped) folders per transfer.

http://www.wetransfer.com//. My current favorite.

? Podmailing.com is FREE and allows transfer of unlimited numbers of files of unlimited size. I've transferred upto 6GB files without a hitch. Temporarily out of order!

http://www.podmailing.com/

? Yousendit.com is FREE upto 1GB/month with max 100MB per transfer.

http://www.yousendit.com/

? Pando.com is FREE upto 1GB of files or folders per transfer.

http://www.pando.com/

? Sendspace.com is FREE upto 300MB per transfer.

http://www.sendspace.com/

? Pipebytes.com (beta) is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 300MB per transfer.

http://www.pipebytes.com/

? Youconvertit.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 1GB per transfer.

http://www.youconvertit.com/

? Filedropper.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 5GB per transfer.

http://www.filedropper.com/

? Transferbigfiles.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ???MB/GB per transfer (untested).

http://www.transferbigfiles.com/

? Mailbigfile.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ???MB/GB per transfer (untested).

http://www.mailbigfile.com/

? zUPLOAD.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ???MB/GB per transfer (untested).

http://www.zupload.com/

? MegauUpload.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ???MB/GB per transfer (untested).

http://www.megaupload.com/